Author Topic: Getting a Data Card  (Read 7983 times)

1000nutsnbolts

• Regular
  • USA, NH, North Hampton
  • Trying to get it right.
Getting a Data Card
« on: December 12, 2020, 20:42:48 »
Coincidence that I walked in on this discussion. I am looking for posts on the "datacard". I purchased my Pagoda on BaT in Oct. 2020, with no datacard provided. This past week I was successful contacting MBUSA Classic and they furnished a $150 quote. It's for the datacard to be emailed. Then, I guess I print onto Staples photocopy paper stock. Not all that impressive. I suppose I can get it printed on card stock - but does it matter?

Some questions:
1) Is the datacard that important to the car? Does it really enhance the provenance, or intrinsic value of the car? If having matching numbers isn't that important to future owners, why do people ask about the datacards?
2) Is an emailed copy of the card the best to expect? The original is nonexistent.

Thanks
Tom
Regards,
Tom

1970 280SL

1000nutsnbolts

• Regular
  • USA, NH, North Hampton
  • Trying to get it right.
Datacards - are they important?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 21:18:00 »

I stumbled in on another discussion about matching engine/body numbers, datacards and what different people think is important to establish and preserve the identity/integrity of these W113's.

I purchased my Pagoda on BaT in Oct. 2020, with no datacard provided. This past week I was successful contacting MBUSA Classic and they furnished me with a $150 quote for a datacard to be emailed. Then, I guess I simply print it on Staples photocopy paper stock. Not all that impressive. I suppose I can get it printed on card stock - but does it matter?

Some questions:
1) Is the datacard that important to the car? Does it really enhance the provenance, or intrinsic value of the car? If having matching numbers isn't that important to future owners, why do people ask about the datacards?
2) Is an emailed copy of the card the best to expect? Good enough?

Regards,
Tom

1970 280SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Datacards - are they important?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 21:21:12 »

Some questions:
2) Is an emailed copy of the card the best to expect? Good enough?
1.  Yeah, the info is important.  It tells you all of the options, the engine number, etc so it's a good thing.  It also has the key code which is really useful if you lose the keys.

2.  Yes, an emailed copy is all you can expect.  However there is someone reproducing them on nice card stock.  Not sure who, or what the cost is.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Getting a Data Card
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 21:37:14 »
The e-mailed copy is all you can get from M-B.  The information of the data card is invaluable to any Mercedes owner when ordering parts and to determine original equipment from the factory..  Printing it out on plain paper will suffice for information purposes.

Once you have your data card information, there is a vendor who provides a service generating an original style document file that, once printed on appropriate stock, results in an original style card.  See:

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=30579.msg226831#msg226831
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 22:10:54 »
If you have a good connection with a dealer, ask for a Vehicle Master Inquiry (VMI) on the car. It contains all the info on the data card, and it should be available for free. Then go to the alpinaltd referred to by Mike above, and get a pdf for the card to print on card stock at the local FedEx, Office Depot or Staples.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:55:29 »
1) It’s important in as much it tells you what it was when it left the factory. That may or may  not be important to you - if your car is all original/a survivor, it’ll kind of tell you that. If it was a CalCoupe and now a roadster, you’ll know that too. Choosing to act on that info is then your decision. So it’s sort of important but doesn’t make the car any better to drive, any less rusty, any cheaper to run, or any less yours should you decide you want to paint it purple and put a v8 in it.

As for intrinsic value... in reality, No. As Benz Dr so eloquently puts it... the matching number thing is key in US muscle cars and some rarities (like 911 Carrera or BMW Batmobile) as stock standard boring car can be made to be a super valuable one with the addition of the right parts. So people verify the originality wit “matching numbers” The only mod you can make to a Pagoda to add value in that way would be to make it/pass it off as an original 5 speed and then you might add $5k to the asking price, and then may not get that and it wouldn’t really cover your costs The difference between a 73 911T and a 73 911 Carrera Touring is a bit more than that. Then you’d really check your numbers.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:09:04 »
Hi Tom,
If you get your photocopy data card from MB, I would be happy to recreate a full set of Data cards for you that exactly match the originals. I have recreated cards for many members here
and all have been very happy with the results.

best regards
DM.

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 12:44:32 »
hello guys, I was able to obtain my data card from mbclassic center in usa. Having said that, I would like to know where the original data card was supposed to be located. Should have been located somowhere inside the car?  Or maybe with the original documents from the owner number 1? I think  having the original card from 1967 gives a bigger touch in the originality of the car. When I bought my car in 2000, the previous owner didn't give me any data card with the whole set of historical documents of the car so my guess is that maybe got lost during all these years. The same thing with the original tool kit.
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 13:22:54 »
We are getting to the point with our SLs, where "wheeler-dealers" put cars together and try to pass them off as original and ask inflated prices. In fairness to all those who try to preserve them and keep them as original as possible - I like to point all of you to "Shvegel's" restauration project, which I think is plain awesome but may seem obsessive to some as far as the details are concerned - I think it matters if the car is original. There is a variety of engines that can be used, albeit not being correct, and I don't think you can brush this off as unimportant.
Yes, there are no exactly matching numbers, because production and assembly was never organized or controlled that way. Still, there is a way to associate correct engine, transmission and chassis numbers for a given car. And why do we have a list of "correct" cylinder heads in the Technical Manual (although it is not complete..)
If you have a "late" 280SL and it carries an early engine before the changes to cooling, it takes away from the value in my book.
If you are in the business of dealing with these cars and push some 20 cars per year through your shop, you may want to downplay the importance of "matching" components
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 08:26:14 »
Mauro, see the technical manual at https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/DataCards
It states "Every new Mercedes-Benz - at least in the years covered in this chapter, 1963 to 1971 - came with two (or more) Data Cards, usually inserted into the pouch containing the Owner’s Manual and Service Booklet."
For the toolkit information see https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Accessories/Toolkit
"Later 1966 and on W113 had their toolkits in the spare tire."
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

W115

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 12:52:22 »
Hi,

can someone help me get a Data Card?
Mercedes charges 160€, maybe someone here can help get it cheaper.
I need it for a Key, unfortunately i lost the only key.

Thanks, Marcel, Germany

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 12:58:33 »
Have you tried taking the lock to the locksmith to re-create the key? I did that.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 13:23:29 »
Also, check all the other paperwork you may have. Sometimes, POs/Dealers note the key number in the owners' manual.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 18:11:32 »
Guys it’s very strange because Some years ago mercedes didn’t charge any money for the data card .
I had the same problem about the second keys which I’ve never had since I bought the car in 2001. I don’t know if they were lost or maybe these cars were sold with just one pair . Anyway, I asked all around my district and nobody had the correct blank key to replicate. I discovered a company in nyc and with the key codes they were able to sell me the blank keys and the problem was solved .
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 19:08:29 »
You'd think Mercedes would be pleased that their heritage cars are being maintained and kept on the road, $150odd is ridiculous for an e-mailed photocopy!
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 19:18:09 »
FYI - if you can make friends with a Mercedes dealer parts person, ask them to get you the VMI - Vehicle Master Inquiry - for free. For some reason some dealers are resistant to providing this, but if you can get it, it has all the same data as the data card.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 20:45:06 »
Gary, thank you for this tip!

I think we have beaten the horse of how bad it is to charge for datacards to death... sorry for this remark.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Jedurome

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Nice
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 14:00:39 »
bonjour, j ai une copie ma data card est-il,possible d'avoir les cartons ?

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 14:31:10 »
They are in the technical manual, I think for full members
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 15:40:33 »
Bonjour Jedurome,
demandez à alpinaltd envoyez-lui un message personnel, il fabrique les cartons en fonction de votre carte de données.
...WRe

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2022, 18:55:11 »
We are getting to the point with our SLs, where "wheeler-dealers" put cars together and try to pass them off as original and ask inflated prices. In fairness to all those who try to preserve them and keep them as original as possible - I like to point all of you to "Shvegel's" restauration project, which I think is plain awesome but may seem obsessive to some as far as the details are concerned - I think it matters if the car is original. There is a variety of engines that can be used, albeit not being correct, and I don't think you can brush this off as unimportant.
Yes, there are no exactly matching numbers, because production and assembly was never organized or controlled that way. Still, there is a way to associate correct engine, transmission and chassis numbers for a given car. And why do we have a list of "correct" cylinder heads in the Technical Manual (although it is not complete..)
If you have a "late" 280SL and it carries an early engine before the changes to cooling, it takes away from the value in my book.
If you are in the business of dealing with these cars and push some 20 cars per year through your shop, you may want to downplay the importance of "matching" components

I agree with this way of thinking.  I think Shvegel’s unwavering insistence on originality is to be applauded!  As these cars age more and more, many of their factory delivered features are lost.  That’s just inevitable. But keeping these cars as true to their original state is part of the preservation process for future generations of owners.  The data card plays an important function in providing us with some critical information but actual cars with authentic details are also useful to others in the process of their car’s preservation.
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 21:25:39 »
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2022, 10:19:38 »
Any ideas on how to get a data card for an Italian delivered 230SL? Is there a European centre that provides them? If so, how much?

Grazie
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2022, 11:38:04 »
Hi Tom,

I consider the datacard very important. It’s your car’s Birth Certificate!

I have one for all my babies …… 7 in total. ( 2 Pagoda’s and 5 Children ☺️)

Rob
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

vnaar123

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Rye
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2023, 04:21:20 »
MB classic center wrote this to me. odd. does anyone know why they wouldnt be able to provide it? they didnt even quote me the $150. Thanks

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We apologize, but we (Mercedes-Benz Classic Contact Center) are not able to issue a data card for your vehicle.

Please therefore contact your local Mercedes-Benz dealership to apply for a data card.

The department for service and parts is able to order the data card for your vehicle in the archives of the Mercedes-Benz Group AG.