Author Topic: Exhaust emitting black particles at start up  (Read 5348 times)

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
Re: Exhaust emitting black particles at start up
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2020, 17:52:54 »
Pedro, there is a member of this forum who lives in Portugal and who might be able to steer you in the direction of a mechanic who knows what he is doing.  His forum name is PeterPortugal and I suggest sending him a private message.

My W111 220SE is also suffering from excessive fuel consumption, and I am starting with valve clearances etc, etc.

Good luck

Hans
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Portugal, Lisbon, Estoril
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 00:23:39 »
Thanks for the continued responses. I'm trying to compile a checklist.
Hans, thanks I will contact Peter .
Regards
Pedro

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 07:57:05 »
Hi Pedro,

Got your message and here is a useful quote for you from another forum member from Lisbon...I will send his email to you via personal message. I can also help you to understand some of the technical issues being explained e.g. removing shims in the WRD, etc.

"Hi Peter,

I had a bad experience with the Mercedes Classic Center, near Lisbon.
Then I met some people who recommended Ludgero Carreira, who has a shop in Mafra (60km from Lisbon).
He restored my entire car and did a fantastic job, plus he is an excellent person.
Old fashion shop, one old school mechanic, does a lot in house and knows who does the rest.
He used to repair / restore other cars, but recently focused is Mercedes.
When you come to Lisbon, we can arrange for a short visit.

Cheers

Francisco"
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2020, 09:07:03 »
Thanks Peter.
I got your PM
Regards
Pedro

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 21:59:02 »
I have a similar issue with my car. CO2 % around 9 and during cold starts I have a similar issue . My final belief is that the injection pump would need to be overhauled . I adjusted the valves , checked and tested csv, wrd and fuel injectors .
Honestly I’m a bit scared to remove and overhaul the pump , I read many story about having problems even after rebuilding the pump .
Many of this car suffers from this condition I guess .
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 16:54:11 »
Hi Bonny,

The "new " mechanic has finally had the availability to start with my car. Petrol smell  in the boot ... You were right ... The gasket was in very bad condition. Seems solved . The tank was new ( from 3 years ago) ... Apparently the basked not ! Thanks .

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 16:55:57 »
Thanks, tachometer leak solved with a new "gasket" and retightning

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 17:12:11 »
Ok, so the mechanic has managed some significant improvements .... HC to 388 ( from previous 4600 )... And CO% to 5.58 ( from a 9.99 which was the maximum the meter read ) and the very bad exhaust smell, thick particles /fumes have stopped. The black soot and moisture remains in the cold start but no longer once hot.
He has also suggested a new stainless steel exhaust pipe as not essential but likely to cause some additional improvement on the soot/moisture.
The one thing strange to me is the CO2 % has gone up significantly.....11,9% from 5,3. In the MOT /roadworthy tests here want counts though is CO and not CO2.
See the new and prior test results in the attachments

PSB

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 17:26:17 »
Mauro,

See posts from a few minutes ago.
My co2 has gone up but the smell/HC /CO have gone down significantly which would be what would cause the car to fail roadworthy renewal tests due in 10 months time .
The soot is now only visible on cold starts.
The mechanic justified the main improvement on a tune up of the very excessive fuel being fed into the engine.
He is still checking valves , solenoids etc . Is not volunteering to touch the injection ( says he would send it to Bosch service and not do it himself ) has he believes the engine itself is "old and tired" and would not be worth it doing injectors without redoing the whole engine . Says car ok to run around and have fun ( I tested it and was same good feeling without the excessive emissions) and any further significant improvement would have to come from a full rebuild as compression ratios are low on all cylinders ( first 2 are at 7psi, next 2 7,5 and last 2 around 8.2) and leak tests ( not sure if correct words here ) are in the 60-70%.  Another issue was an oil leak which has been identified as oil being pushed out of the dipstick holding cylinder cause supposedly by the pressure inside engine . I struggle to follow the explanations but I can try get more detail.