Author Topic: UK Whitewall tyres - for a change.  (Read 6326 times)

Berggreen

• Senior
  • Denmark, Zealand, Gentofte
Re: UK Whitewall tyres - for a change.
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2020, 17:04:29 »
Actually, S speed rating means 180 km/h or 112 MPH, and that is, as we would say, "crazy fast" to be driving in anything other than the most optimal conditions; that would be an empty autobahn with no traffic, dry conditions, during the day. Very few places where that can happen anymore.

So, you are saying that if you get pulled over by the police in Germany (no matter what for), and the police look at the speed ratings of your tires, they will then go to a database of 50 year old cars, and see that it once carried H rated tires, they will prevent you from driving away?

...and the Europeans have long lamented about crazy American automotive rules...

Yes, it is a bit crazy, and I would not go that fast either. But because the car is actually able to go that fast, the tires have to match this speed.

It's all about conformity, and as I understand it this is not only about tires, but basically all parts on the car. if a spare part is not meant for the car originally and/or manufactured by other suppliers than Mercedes, then the part has to have a certificate of conformity, typically from the German TÜV to be street legal. Your insurance could also be an issue, if you use parts which are not "legal" for the car.

I actually think it is the same rules all over the EU, but as far as I know, only the Germans are really enforcing them on classic cars. Here in Denmark they are not enforced with the same rigor. But basically yes, if you are stopped by the police or you go for your regular safety inspection, and you do not have at least H-rated tires on your Pagoda, you will be in trouble.

This is also why the German Pagoda clubs have actually asked Bockley to come up with a H-rated and cheaper white stripe alternative to the Michelins, Vredesteins etc.. Thus, as I understand it, the Bockley 185R14 tyre was developed due to this request from the German Pagoda clubs/sections.

But maybe some of our German members on the Forum can confirm this and give more details? :)

Cheers,

Christian 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 17:08:44 by Berggreen »
02/1971 MB 280SL (aut.) - olive green 291H
11/1970 MB 280SL (man.) - silver 180G
12/1977 MB 350SE (aut.) - deep green 825H
03/1969 Volvo 1800S (man.) - dark green 94

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2020, 21:12:02 »

This is also why the German Pagoda clubs have actually asked Bockley to come up with a H-rated and cheaper white stripe alternative to the Michelins, Vredesteins etc.. Thus, as I understand it, the Bockley 185R14 tyre was developed due to this request from the German Pagoda clubs/sections.

You should know that the Coker Phoenix tire, according to the original offering, noted that they were developed in conjunction with the German Mercedes-Benz "Old-timer" club...
Nothing in low volume will be cheap.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Berggreen

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2020, 21:20:38 »
You should know that the Coker Phoenix tire, according to the original offering, noted that they were developed in conjunction with the German Mercedes-Benz "Old-timer" club...
Nothing in low volume will be cheap.

True, but the Cokers are insanely expensive in Europe - even more than the Michelins and I have read about questionable quality! :-/

The Bockleys are priced around 200 EUR a piece here.

Cheers,

Christian

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 15:41:17 »
The Cokers (made in the Michelin factory in Mexico, by the way) may be insanely expensive, but by contrast so are the Michelins in that size here. The Vredestein isn't exactly cheap for the size (starting at $150.00 but no whitewall). The Blockley simply isn't available here w/o some self-import deal, which would add a considerable cost.

The topic is worthy of my time since I do need to get new tires in 2021. I do have the Cokers, were extremely pleased with them (once balanced properly) but they are too old to drive safely now. I did get them before they became insane, only when they were "very expensive".
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Berggreen

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2020, 15:49:38 »
The Cokers (made in the Michelin factory in Mexico, by the way) may be insanely expensive, but by contrast so are the Michelins in that size here. The Vredestein isn't exactly cheap for the size (starting at $150.00 but no whitewall). The Blockley simply isn't available here w/o some self-import deal, which would add a considerable cost.

The topic is worthy of my time since I do need to get new tires in 2021. I do have the Cokers, were extremely pleased with them (once balanced properly) but they are too old to drive safely now. I did get them before they became insane, only when they were "very expensive".

Thanks and very interesting to hear that the Cokers are made in the Michelin factory in Mexico - I did not know that!

Also interesting to hear that you have been happy with them. May I ask, how old are your Cokers now, since you want to replace them?

The Vredesteins are for some reason cheaper in Europe - a notch lower than the Michelins, both with and without white stripes. Maybe because the Vredesteins are made in Europe? Just guessing....

I read yesterday that the Hancooks are made in Hancooks factory in Tennessee, USA, and not in Korea, where Hancook has its headquarters. The Milestarts I found are made in China, and thus they fell out from my list of candidates! :-(

Cheers,

Christian

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2020, 15:53:54 »
I would like to say, and I don't remember exactly, that the Cokers are probably about 15 years old now. While there is no dry rot or cracking, they just don't hold the road like they should and it's way too easy to "lock them up" even on dry pavement. Ten years is a shelf life of a tire regardless of the tread left on it.

When I bought the set I ended up changing one out since it would not dynamically balance. At first Coker balked at replacement until I told them the equipment used to balance, then they had no issue and sent a replacement.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Berggreen

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 19:23:49 »
I would like to say, and I don't remember exactly, that the Cokers are probably about 15 years old now. While there is no dry rot or cracking, they just don't hold the road like they should and it's way too easy to "lock them up" even on dry pavement. Ten years is a shelf life of a tire regardless of the tread left on it.

When I bought the set I ended up changing one out since it would not dynamically balance. At first Coker balked at replacement until I told them the equipment used to balance, then they had no issue and sent a replacement.

Thanks that is very useful. I was recently offered a set of Cokers from Germany, but they were from 2008 and 2010, and I was reluctant to buy them, even though they had 7mm or more thread, and the price was pretty low compared to a new set. But I can hear that I should probably be careful about tires that old. Or what do you think?

Ok., and the balancing was also what I read threads about here on the forum that people have had issues with the Cokers.

Thanks also for the pdf, you sent me on the balancing. Highly appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Christian

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 22:03:58 »
NO. Do not buy tires that are 10-12 years old, not to drive on at least. Doesn't matter what the price is.

See out a Hunter Road Force Balance in DK, worth the effort regardless of the tires.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2021, 22:58:08 »
doing 112mph in car with no airbags and a hard steering wheel does not sound like fun.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.