Author Topic: HELP! my w113 asked me if amber side lights make her look sexy, what do I say?  (Read 2447 times)

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
Hello
I just bought a 250SL with a 280 engine in relatively good condition. Paint job is good but not to my satisfaction. Planning on doing a re-paint sometime in 2021 but for now deciding on what to do with the car. Car originally came from Italy with amber side lights and  'beautiful' Italian version side mirror. The amber side lights were removed and hole filled.
I did a search and didn't find this question

For owners of Italian w108/111/113's how do feel about amber round side lights. Would you take them off or if they were off would you put them back on? Why?

US version cars, same question. Please let me know if your Italian or US spec car, thanks leonard

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London

I don’t mind side markers but not having them on my car prefer the naked look.
If the car is Italian, and you want at least a nod to its past, go round markers - I’m sure I read here that they are a common item (like Fiat or Alfa parts). But not sure I’d choose US markers over Italian ones.

Personally... naked> Italian > US
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
James
that's how I see it. I prefer not having them on there...but the car is Italian so perhaps a nod to its past. They are common enough to find,
thanks for the input

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
As Mies van der Rohe (famous German architect) used to say “Less is more”.

Side markers were required by the Dept of Motor Vehicles of the country where the cars were delivered. Hence the different sizes and shapes. The German delivered cars are likely the closest to what the original designers of the W113 wanted the car to look like and we know Germany did not require sidemarkers on the W113. For this reason and my own personal preferences, I prefer the look without sidemarkers.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
In 2005 when I was at Blacklick, Rodd M had an Italian car with the Fiat Orange side lights on the front fenders.
I think it looked great.
My 280SL (Euro) when it came to Calif in 1975 the owner ( I am sure that it was required by Calif) put on American side markers.
I really don't like them, car is perfect without them.
But since the laws are different in USA than Germany , I am stuck with them.
Since I found the lights on the Fiat website , I will change out the rectangular lights and put in the Orange round ones.
I will leave the rear ones alone.
When you see a car up close it is great.
Tom M
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
Italian 250 SL; it has the round lights; it's gonna keep the round lights.  No special reason for having/keeping them other than I see no need to change.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
I like the Italian side marker lights, but only the small round Italian ones.  They identify the car as being Italian origin and I would keep them if my car was Italian.  I'm with James on this, naked > Italian > US.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Me too:   Naked -- Italian ------------------------------------------------------------ US
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
If you are replacing your U.S. side marker lamps at the front with orange Italian style round lamps, I have occasionally seen those Fiat round side lights with red lenses - perfect complimentary replacements for the U.S. side marker lamps at the rear!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
Sounds Good.
I did not know they had red lens.
That way all markers match.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Is it truly an Italy car with metric instrumentation? If so, there is no doubt I would return to the original side markers.  The U.S, versions are oversized, discordant and ugly. The small, round lights are very attractive and a guaranteed conversation piece.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
For those who have US side marker and want to replace with Italian - I believe (not 100% sure) that the Italian side markers are mounted higher up on the fender vs the US sider markers.  Probably 12cm or so higher from all the ones I have seen. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Kampala:  Good observation. I believe you are correct.  In the OP's question he states that the original holes had already been filled so he is now writing on a clean slate.  Perhaps he could provide measurements locating the original holes as a guide for anyone else contemplating "going Italian."

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Bald is beautiful.  US spec converted to Euro lights and bunpers.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
I agree!

A question of taste of course.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
Ok
It looks to be about even, however those with Italian version Mercedes seem to want to keep the round ambers as a nod to the car's heritage.

I like the car as it was designed (without side lights), but this is an Italian version so small amber lights it is.

...Now on to replacing vinyl interior..this doesn't look hard.....................%$^%$^..............@$$%$%%............@$#@$@$@$@%$@%$@%$@$@$%@$@%$@%@%$@%@%$@%$@%@%$@%..............

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
Mine is the Italian version and I could easily have filled the holes in during my restoration but I wouldn’t think of it. The small round orange lights are original to its heritage and look great to me.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540