Author Topic: W111 carpet types  (Read 9094 times)

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
Re: W111 carpet types
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2022, 01:06:23 »
Welcome to the forums AussieSeven!  Looking forward to hearing more about your car.

My car has never had correct carpets, and as you can see by the side rails, what was in it, was disgusting/embarrassing.  The GAHH kit, while "not correct" either in color or material (Wilton Wool, not velour) looks really good.  While I'm excited to see the car look more presentable, I'm not very happy with the quality of their kit:  I specifically asked to have a side pad in vinyl, next to the accelerator pedal.  I was told by the sales rep, that she'd take care of it.  She didn't.  So that's a phone call for tomorrow.  The piping is a replica of the Congnac leather, and while it looks nice, I would have preferred a solid color, which may have originally matched the brown color of the long rubber mats at the door thresholds.  They didn't mention piping color choices, so there I was assuming that with their reputation and all their listings for specific W111 models, they were working hard to make their kits as OEM correct as currently possible.  The piece for the center console is cut too large by about 1/4", so once set down into the console, the piping catches, and puckers the carpet upward, creating a low bubble shape.  That's pretty frustrating.  Basically they cut the carpet to the precise dimension of the console, and didn't account for the piping making it wider.  Novice mistake, and for $1400+ I simply expect better.  Again, it's another topic for a call tomorrow.  The floor mats fit similarly.  Literally so tight that they have to be forced down, almost won't just set flat because they want to buckle.  The tunnel piece doesn't travel toward the firewall far enough to make it more forward then the floor mats, so that it's side edges are hidden by the mats, so there's a slight air gap there.  Again, c'mon...how many of these have they done, to not have this really dialed in.  It's going to be interesting to see how the side rails and rear tunnel fit.  The pieces under the rear seat aren't visible, so I don't really care about them.

As far as how they mount, no, there are no snaps, or metal rings to fit over studs in the floor.  That said, as I mentioned, the floor mats fit so tight, I doubt they will ever move.  They come with what appears to be a closed cell, gray, foam, glued to the backs of the 4 floor mats.

Overall, I'm very happy to see the car look better, however, it's more like a $500 kit, or one of the kits that pops up on ebay, and not like a kit that was sort of "custom made from patterns and questions about whether the car had A/C, and did it have a floor shifter."   I didn't ask for the order to be rushed, and that appears to be what happened.  Frustrating, because I wasn't looking for "wham-bam, crank it out."  Nor was I wanting to pay cheap, and wind up with cheap results.  You'd think that if a company is selling restoration carpet for a high end car brand (Mercedes Benz), they would acknowledge that the customer is doing significant restoration work, on an expensive vintage car.

A note about the Putt Geogie Ltd carpet.  I was not able to get it to photograph, but it shined as if I'd just wiped it with cooking oil or baby oil, and became very pink looking.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:52:22 by Todd »
Todd

Aussiesven

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 01:25:08 »
Ouch,

That does sound a lot worse than the pictures show… I agree that for good money you want to get a set that fits and looks right.  I agree, they should have done enough to get it right.

Had the same issue with my front carpet for a Citroen Safari… too narrow! Twice!  The car width remains 1250mm, so how can they get the width wrong by 15mm, then 10mm?  After sending we a LHD version first for a RHD car…

Third time it fit!  So GAHH may have to remake some of the carpets…

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2022, 14:57:27 »
After I finish up my 280SL (which is taking forever) I'll go back to my W111 and carpet is on the list so this has been very enlightening.  The transmission tunnel carpet I have doesn't fit very well. The tunnel changes shape just forward of the floor shifter so the carpet there doesn't conform to the tunnel shape. My 280SL has the same issue. 

All that said, there is an extremely thick layer of sound deadening stuff - looks similar to horsehair but its not - over the transmission tunnel on my W111. I wonder if GAAH's tunnel carpet envisioned a thicker layer of insulation between the transmission tunnel and the carpet. If so, it might explain why its too big.  Just a thought.  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 15:53:16 »
Hi Leester,
At least in the case of my carpet kit from GAHH, my front transmission tunnel piece fits fine, but it's not "long enough" to touch the firewall.  It falls short of the firewall on both sides, and that leaves a gap between the trans tunnel carpet, and the front floor mats.  My car does have the original factory molded foam insulation for that front transmission tunnel area, and I can add to that, by spray gluing more batting, or even foam, to areas where the carpet doesn't look like it's "filled out" underneath.

I have a call in to GAHH, and am waiting to hear back.
Todd

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2022, 15:54:22 »
looks nice. I also notice your door sill mats are brown. My understanding is that with cognac, that is the mat color. I only found one place that sells a full range of colored mats and was in Germany. I ended up using a caramel color because the brown they had was too much on the purple side. The caramel seemed to click nicely with base color with the cognac leather and carpet.   https://ok-gummiwerk.de/produkt/en-turschwellerauflage-fur-klassische-mercedes-benz-fahrzeuge/?lang=en

My W111 also has the thick foam pad on the trans tunnel. Without that, the carpet wouldn't fit very well.

Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2022, 22:05:23 »
About a month ago, i ordered a complete carpet for my 114 280ce from GAHH.  After getting the invoice i have waited a month and no further communication from them so i emailed them last night and got a reply this morning that they have been out of stock for several months, don’t know when they will get more and do i wish to proceed.  Oh, and sorry for not informing you.  I think i might try Caberio.de or see if there is another supplier in USA.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2022, 01:01:03 »
For an exercise, it might be fun to see what German Auto Tops (now owned by GAHH) has any availability.
It wouldn't be the first time that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing... 8)
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2022, 01:18:09 »
I have hijacked this thread a bit but will asked the question.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2022, 01:51:11 »
Did the "real" installation today, and have included a few photos.  IMO, it looks great, and I'm still not very impressed with the size and fit of the pieces.  It's so close to being "really good," and I just wish they would have taken it that extra step since they were building from scratch.  For example, not asking me about piping color, or not providing piping in a carmel color, to match the rubber sill mats, and the plastic trim covers that snap onto the rear legs of the front seats.  I'm nit picking, for sure, but it's details like this that are fun to pull off, and help make the restoration and look of the car just a little bit more dialed.  I'm not trying to take my rusted heap of crap to concourse level, over a set of carpets, but since I paid full boat, vs. going cheap, I just wish it was a bit more dialed in.  I feel like when I call and talk to anyone at World, I get someone who's all about, "So a coupe with cognac would have had........" and that's the kind of conversation I want to have.  If I choose to veer from that, it's on me, but at least we start with a base conversation of:  "Here's what would have been correct.  Here's what we sell and do, which is as close as we can get to what's available.  Is that okay with you?  Do YOU want to make changes to that?"

I called GAHH first thing this morning and left a message with the sales associate who sold me the kit.  Did not hear back from her at all.  That doesn't give a warm-fuzzy, so I will call again tomorrow, and ramp things up a bit.

@wwheeler, thanks for the link to the mat material.  I soaked my existing mats with a vinyl rubber cleaner/paint prep about 2 weeks ago, because I was just going to paint them for now, and as soon as that product soaked in, the mats returned to their correct brown-hint-of-purple color.  So I got to see what they originally looked like.  I shot them with a clear coat of vinyl paint and they've held the majority of that color that retuned.  Certainly better looking that the chalk white that they were prior.  I've been planning on replacing them, just couldn't find anything I liked.  I just ordered a pair, 201 Euros, shipped.

@Garry   No problem climbing in on the conversation.  IMO, it helps the thread stay current, and will hopefully help others make a more informed choice.  I'm sorry you had such a bad transaction with GAHH.  Does World not have the German Square Weave (or whatever your car is supposed to have)?   I've had great luck with them.  I just didn't like their version of cognac, or I definitely would have used them for the carpet.  Ultimately, I will purchase cognac leather seat kits from them.  I have a half hide from them that I've been using for my door and rear panel top caps, and the top of the dash.  Have enough of it left to do the lower bolster on the dash, and maybe the flat panels of the door panels.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 19:43:55 by Todd »
Todd

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2022, 04:30:35 »
You know about skivving the leather for the dash? If you use standard thickness, you will have fitting issues. Skivving makes the leather about half the thickness. Good for tight corners, binnacle etc. The door panel caps may also need to be skivved, not sure. I know GAHH will take their leather and skive it for you for under $50. They do a max of 16" wide and can do around 48" long. The width is the constraining dimension.

Also be sure to use the "Old Timers" leather. There is (or was) a standard grade which I found to be pretty low quality. The Old timer range is far better and the cognac color is pretty close. The color of cognac with the standard was depressing. Most have the Old timer line.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2022, 06:04:27 »
I learned about skivving from AaronH (on this forum) a couple years ago.  Had never heard of it prior to that.  I didn't know that GAHH sold leather, or could do the skivving.  Haven't heard of the old timers, so maybe you can supply a link?

I ordered a half hide from World, and have been using that.  Personally, I think it looks fine, even though I know it's not "correct."  It's what I used on the door and rear panel caps, and it did those fine, without being skivved, and doesn't look incorrect, in terms of being too thick looking.  The front kick panels, door panels, and rear panels, and the strip across the bottom of the rear seat are still in their original cognac, so I have some examples of what the original stuff looked like.  Of course the World version is not identical, but it's also 56yrs later and so I don't expect to find anything really perfect.  Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that way.  I used the World hide also on the dash top (my instrument binnacle is wood covered) pieces.  I was able to get it to do the left curve piece fine, but the right curve was really tough, and I wound up with some wrinkles, as you've seen in my photos.  Not the greatest outcome, but I'm learning, AND, it looks so much better than the crispy, busted apart, leather that was on the dash.  I know it's not perfect, but for now, it's fine.  I will do the lower dash bolster next, and hopefully my skill will be better for the corners.  This is my first time working with leather, and my first time doing this level of upholstery work.  I don't have the money to take it somewhere and drop it off, and around here, there's no longer anyone that I would trust. 
Todd

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2022, 07:38:31 »
Todd,

New carpets in your car are looking pretty good.

I messaged World and had a response within two hours. Unfortunately they are also out of the carpet and the order for more is booked out with new orders at this point so will have to wait on GAHH at this point. 

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience, they were just not great at communicating that there would be some months delay.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2022, 13:56:17 »
Hi Garry,
Thanks, I'm happy with the overall look.  It's difficult to photograph it because the cell phone camera wants to wash it out and blur the carpet texture, so I have to make adjustments to color/contrast/etc prior to posting photos here.  But to walk up and look into the car, or sit in it, it looks and feels very good.

Sorry to hear that about the carpet.  Maybe try the Putt Georgie Ltd site, in New York?  He doesn't make kits, but maybe you could at least purchase the bulk and have World, or GAHH make a kit, or have someone local make it?
Todd

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2022, 23:05:15 »
Todd, I think you have done an excellent job. I left 280SL pieces with a trim a trim shop over two months ago. Guy does great work and works on BMW and Porsche but never quite got around to my time pieces. Picked them up today.  I'm doing vinyl so I'm going to buy some cheap vinyl and try a few pieces myself based partly on your experience. I think vinyl is a little more forgiving than leather and I don't believe that skiving is necessary although I did thin out the door cards a little around the edges. If I can make it work with the cheap stuff on a couple of pieces, then I'll try it with the real stuff. 
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

Todd

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, SoCal
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2022, 00:48:05 »
Thanks for the kind words.  My daughter(23) and I drove the car to a popular local coffee place this morning.  We had to try out our new "no spill Mercedes mugs," of course ;)   It was the first chance to see the carpet out in normal driving and parked conditions.  It looks great.  The color is very stable, and always looks excellent, whether in direct sunlight coming down through the sunroof opening, or and shade, late in the afternoon, or at night.  It looked "correct" and very nice this morning.  The car was very well received when we pulled up in front of the place.

Vinyl is very forgiving because it stretches so nicely.  I think you'll have excellent results. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 19:47:25 by Todd »
Todd

JHDG

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2022, 05:07:18 »
Hey all...i just got new carpets (grey) for my '68 250se. Does anyone know how the kickdown button behind the gas pedal works with the floor mats. Do you just cut a hole for it? Seems wrong to have the matt over the button.

Jeff

1968 250SE Convertible
1970 280SL