Author Topic: What have you done to your pagoda during quarantine?  (Read 19668 times)

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
Re: What have you done to your pagoda during quarantine?
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2020, 03:43:50 »
Cibie Iode 40 auxiliary lights

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2020, 17:52:46 »
I spent 10 minutes polishing the cabin air intake chrome !   :D
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2020, 23:46:59 »
Looks to be very nice quality original firewall padding too! - Tim?

My 906G also has good quality original firewall padding  - maybe 10% below yours :)
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2020, 18:44:17 »
Looks to be very nice quality original firewall padding too! - Tim?
My 906G also has good quality original firewall padding  - maybe 10% below yours :)
Thanks Rob,
Take care,
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2020, 22:52:15 »
A fellow forum member gave me a set of halogen headlight bulbs👍  I just installed them. Polished the lenses and cleaned out 50+ years of dirt.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:24 »
Nice! Did you also adjust the beam correctly or aim them straight at the oncoming traffic? 😳  ;)
There is a link to Daniel Stern's web site showing how this should be done:
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Lights
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rodhersberger

« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2020, 13:07:39 »
Stripping, sanding and repainting under way.

BlackJack

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Netherlands, South Holland, rotterdam
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2020, 21:39:15 »
Gave her a wash and went for a leisurely drive - might be one of the last summer days for this year.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2020, 23:46:09 »
We are now in lockdown once again. I got a couple of more things checked off the list.

- Replaced FIP idle thumb screw O ring with new Viton. No more drips 👍

- I got inspired by another members awesome cup holders so I thought I would try to build my own. I had all the parts (plywood, foam, mb Tex). I found the cup holders on eBay for $8👍  A little sawing, gluing, nips & tucks... voilà. 🤣

Signal Red
4 Speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2020, 01:52:25 »
My 1964 230SL never had an emergency/hazard flasher installed and for some time now I planned to install one. With the help of Joe (JA17) and Dave Gallon I finally got almost all the differently colored wires and connectors together to make the sub-harness and to start soldering. For the missing black/white/yellow wire I used a black/white one and added narrow rings of yellow shrink tubing.
Here is the finished product which I think looks pretty decent. Next step is to test it in the car and if everything works to drill the mounting hole at the correct spot in the dash.
Alfred

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2020, 02:15:19 »
Here is the finished product which I think looks pretty decent...
wow, great job!

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2020, 02:17:49 »
it looks great, like a factory job. When did 230's get the hazard flasher, probably '66?
I hope you never have to use it (though they do give some peace of mind even for non-emergency pullovers)
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2020, 00:15:39 »
Having soldiered the connectors to a Rhode Island Wiring harness for my project I must say: Nicely Done!.  Any chance you could post the wiring diagram?

Lee 
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2020, 03:46:22 »
Yes Lee, it is in the works, give me a bit more time.

Dave, if you look at this document issued on August 1967 by MB-USA (https://www.sl113.org/wiki/uploads/Electrical/Hazard_light_installation_guide.pdf) is states "that all vehicles for importation into the USA are currently equipped with hazard warning lights...".
Pagoda Notes Vol. 10, Number 2, shows that with VIN 230SL 012947 (Aug. 9, 65) USA cars are quipped with an emergency flasher systems.
Alfred

Peter h

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2020, 17:15:29 »
I'm trying to save a 24w injection pump and have changed the stabilizers.
Peter
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2020, 22:26:43 »
A previous owner cut holes in my parcel shelf for two speakers (the horror!) >:(:'( so I decided to make lemonade out of lemons by modernizing my audio system. This has been written about before here, but the technology has advanced sufficiently that I thought I'd share my findings.
I removed the Becker amp connected to my radio and purchased an adaptor cable to plug into the amplifier cable from the radio https://tinyurl.com/yyun87tm
I found an extremely compact 400W (45W rms x 4), 4-channel Class D digital amp with Bluetooth that fits perfectly behind the glove box - Kenwood KAC-M1824BT (see photo). It is also rated for marine use, with a sealed IC board, which prevents circuit components from coming loose.
The hardwired remote cable slides nicely through the existing cutout for the glovebox lock, making the remote control easily accessible.
Connections were simple, and now I have a high-quality amp for my radio, or streaming audio.
All reversible.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2020, 12:51:29 »
I’ve had my car, a late 1968 280SL with manual transmission (VIN 6581), for a year now, which overlaps pretty much with this very strange period of worldwide illness and quarantine / on-and-off lockdown, and political new ground.

During that time, this is what happened to the car:

- broke-in the engine, which had been entirely renovated by the PO after a high rev incident that resulted in a damaged piston and rod; retorqued the head and adjusted the valves (the latter two were done by a mechanic)
- restored the cold start system to normal (it wasn’t working at all); turned out the wires to the TTS had been switched (G to W and vice versa), and the CSV was plugged by 50 years of debris and a decomposed seal ring
- worked on the ignition: dialled correct program into 123 distributor (it was using E instead of 8), fine tuned the timing (off by about 10°) and changed the coil from blue to red (no more backfiring when decelerating, smoother acceleration, a bit more oomph)
- changed all the bulbs to LEDs (save the instruments and gauges), which required installing a new flasher for the direction lights
- restored the headlights flasher function (disabled from factory for US cars) by adding the necessary wires to the wiring harness and pins in the connector under the steering wheel
- checked, cleaned and protected (with silicon spray) all the accessible parts of the wiring harness/connectors/pins throughout the car
- cleaned all the outside lights (lenses and reflectors) and replaced a reflector for right hand side front direction light
- renovated the windows winding mechanisms (both sides), as the windows would ‘pop out’ of the rubber tracks at speed (a little bit like Dumbo) and otherwise rattled a little bit on bumpy roads; the jaws had fallen off inside the doors; cleaned, changed the plastic parts, lubricated, reinstalled, adjusted (an iterative process, to say the least, luckily converging towards the end!)
- changed door seals (the sound of a door closing went from a nerve rattling ‘clang’ to a more soothing ‘chonk’ accompanied by a tiny rebound) and checked or changed all the screws and bolt holding external parts and/or trim all around the car
- checked the cleanliness of gas tank, volume of gas flowing through IP
- generally familiarised myself with the car, its main organs and systems (nothing too hardcore yet, as I have no experience of delving into an engine, no tools, but luckily no need to do it so far)

Still to be dealt with (easy and cheap or not too expensive):

- strange reading of the revolution counter / tachometer (seems to be 20% higher than it should be)
- have the radio restored to full function (Becker Europa II Stereo, functioning but low output on only one canal)
- maybe improve the linearity of the gas gauge (although it is working mostly fine, it shows a lower level than actual once the needle reaches more or less half tank and lower)
- improve the glove box fitting in the dash board (I’ve already restored the open/close spring mechanism using the ‘copper pipe tip’ from the Tech Manual, but the fit is still to be dealt with)

Not so cheap:
- the chrome parts and paint are neither here nor there, not bad from 10 feet away, not great as you get closer (but there is no rust other than superficial, mostly on the underbody moving parts that come in contact with the elements, such as suspension wishbone etc.)
- the front hood shows signs of having suffered damage; it is the only part of the car which is not original, and the underside has quite a few dings, bumps and bends, although, remarkably, the outside is straight and the fit to the engine bay seems correct)
- soft and hard top are perfectly functional, but again not on par with the mechanical status of the car (impeccable) and the inside (not bad at all)

Altogether, I'm very happy with the car, have had a satisfying experience working on it (no disaster, no wishing I had left well enough alone, reasonable to complete success in making the hoped for improvements, some head-scratching moments, sometimes for days, leading to some interesting discoveries and learning opportunities), thanks in no small way to all the help I received from members of this forum, and look forward to making continuous improvements and enjoying this beautiful, sophisticated, old but noble combination of machinery and art.

And wishing all of you a very merry Xmas and Happy New Year, in spite of everything else, no matter the circumstances.
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

Peter h

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2021, 06:21:56 »
I had the throttle valve overhauled with new bearings. The restored distributor will come next week.
I had already changed the injectors because of problems with new ones. The old ones were junk.
Peter
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2021, 02:27:08 »
After 55 years (next month), my MB-Tex upholstery has been looking a bit tired.  It's original color was white-grey (interior code 119).  I considered replacing it all with new vinyl from GAHH, World, etc., but was unable to find white/off-white replacement vinyl; the closest I could find was parchment, which is MUCH too dark.  So I decided to re-dye what I have. 

I sent a color sample to Leather Magic, who matched my color and sent me vinyl cleaner, prep, dye, and conditioner.  Along the way I also had to do a lot of general cleaning, re-gluing of old vinyl, chrome polishing, and such.  The job has taken me two and a half weeks so far (I haven't done anything behind the seats yet).  The result is definitely an upgrade for my interior! 
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2021, 02:30:20 »
Impressive 👍👍👍
Signal Red
4 Speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2021, 05:00:01 »
Congrats David, great job.
Now on to your next dash job?  ;) ;D
Alfred

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2021, 05:57:15 »
Hoo-boy!  I found a stable-mate: a '69 Euro 300SEL 6.3...no rust, all there but in many pieces and at least two paint jobs.  Engine has the right head off, due, it's said, to an oil leak (???).  Last on the road in 1990.  Beautiful dash, unhacked!  Federalized: gauges, side markers (boo!).  My first task is to review the pieces to see if anything material is missing, then sort through and pick the best pieces (lots of extras plus a 109 4.5 parts car) for the body and interior.  Sorting the engine and air suspension will be last as I'm not confident of my skills for that (read incapable and ham fingered) so I'll need to seek professional help (mechanic for the car; psychiatrist and yoga instructor for moi).   This came as part of a package: the other 109, an 81 240D runner and an 81 Chevette diesel with 28k.  Why the guy had this stuff is a long story...
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2021, 19:41:51 »
Thanks, Alfred!

Actually, I'm going to install a new oatmeal square-weave carpet set from G.A.T. to complement the "new" vinyl first, then back to the electrical work.    :P
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Logix66

• Junior Level
  • USA, OH, Toledo
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2021, 19:55:13 »
   UPDATE: I have cleaned the fuel system and the water system tested the heater core for leakage (tight), had to replace the knobs on the heater/cooling levers, replaced and tested all light bulbs in the dash. My car has the Blaupunkt Frankfurt US (S) radio in it and i serviced that myself as well, did put a new speaker in it (those bastards charged me $100 for a $10 speaker but it has the right hole pattern and is the OEM spec) , Clock is working which surprised the hell out of me ! LOL Interior has been cleaned and reassembled. Before i reassemble the front of the motor I want to take it up a bit and replace the brakes and rubber lines as well. I need to finally turn the motor by hand, I plan on doing this with the 22mm or 24 mm bolt on the crankshaft ? is that ok on this car also which direction should I turn it ? Thank you all very much for assembling this vast wealth of knowledge. I do want to point out 1 flaw in the REPLACING HEATER LEVERS tutorial. Cars with the 10 mm nuts on the rear of the chrome dash pieces, the speaker should be removed to get to the drivers side chrome piece 10mm nut. That is not stated and thru me for a loop, i was able to get it out from behind but there is no way in hell to get it back on, lol. So i had to yank the speaker anyway to verify it didn't turn to dust, which it did and gee whiz i can access that nut now. Trying to be a purist about this project so i did get the OEM correct colors for the knobs (she want the colored knobs them selves) .
John Peters
1968 280SL