Author Topic: Comments on "Originality" section in the Technical Manual.  (Read 1351 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Comments on "Originality" section in the Technical Manual.
« on: January 27, 2021, 08:04:07 »
First, Let me say bravo! This has been on my wish list for a long time.  As someone who just restored a W113 this are would have been a big help.  For those of you considering posting in this section I wanted to add one bit of advice.  After spending countless hours researching the smallest details the area where I had the most trouble was the area that were not on the surface.  Areas under the hood that are below the surface like the sides of the engine, engine wiring and transmission cooling line routing and brackets.  Most pictures on the internet are of cars for sale.  you get the standard walk around and 2 pictures of the top of the engine but no depth showing for example the brake hoses in the front wheel wells.  My advice is if you have a nice original car you can photograph please stick the camera into the areas of the vehicle you normally wouldn't see and take a few pictures.  Those are the pictures that will be worth gold to a restorer. 

I am not sure if this is possible but the biggest help for me was the Motoring Investments engine restoration for someone named "Gelson" on the archived site.  This was a complete stripping and restoration of a late US spec engine compartment.  The teardown pictures are a gold mine for anyone restoring a late car.  I am wondering if anyone knows Brian Peters?  Maybe we can approach him about using some of his vast collection of photos?

Finally,  After all the time I spent researching my car I have a fairly vast collection of pictures for a late 280SL that I have culled off the internet.  Does anyone know if they can be reposted on our website?  I believe Brian's are watermarked as copyrighted but the rest are not.