Author Topic: Wire Harness Question  (Read 2507 times)

NYC-MB280SL

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, New York
Wire Harness Question
« on: November 28, 2019, 14:08:49 »
I am restoring my 1968 280SL and have two wires on the passenger side wire harness that I cannot figure out where they connect. Please see attached photo.

These connectors come out of the wire harness on the passenger side in between the voltage regulator and the coolant expansion tank. I have no idea where they connect. Can anyone point me in the right direction in figuring out where these connections go?

Peter Paris
NYC
1968 280SL
1987 560SL

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Wire Harness Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 14:31:15 »
Maybe for the radio fuse box? I don't see one in your picture.

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 18:26:06 »
I think mrfatboy is correct. It is very likely you have permanent power on one of them - this is for automatic antenna. You have power in accessory position ignition key - this one is for the radio. They go to the fuse box mrfatboy is showing, then through a hole in the firewall (with grommet) to antenna and radio. It is described in "Radio Wiring".

I meant this one: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27466.msg197177#msg197177
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 21:22:07 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 00:15:29 »

Peter,

At least the one of the two ends looks like factory, the one with the eye. Can't see that clearly on your picture, is the wire brown? If so, it is for ground.
What is the wire color of the other one? Uni or does it have colored stripes?

Also,
I cannot see, is your CSV (cold star valve) hooked up?
Also,
have you checked whether there is one of the wires with permanent voltage? Maybe the one with luster terminal?

Good luck & keep us updated

Achim
(coloredwiringharnessdrawer)
Achim
(Germany)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 00:42:13 »
Quote from: 114015
At least the one of the two ends looks like factory, the one with the eye. Can't see that clearly on your picture, is the wire brown? If so, it is for ground.../...
Yes, and if it is brown, is it the ground wire next to the coolant header tank? See picture attached.
Note: The ground wire with the eyelet is attached to a non-painted spot on the body, to enable good ground.
This was achieved at production by means of the following method:
The the body sheet metal was being tinned in this position (well a number of ground points).
An adhesive patch was placed, and after the body was painted base- and topcoat, the patch was peeled off, and brown ground wire screwed on.
/Hans S