Author Topic: Wiring for A Radio - Wrap up  (Read 4652 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Wiring for A Radio - Wrap up
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:36:40 »
I found lots of posts on this topic, but conclusions were not always the same. Some conclusions on radio wiring provide also conclusions on suppression wiring and items, but those are contradicting conlcusions reached in topics on suppressioin wiring and items.

So I wanted to suggest a wrap up for you to confirm or adjust (for selfish reasons, but also for all fellow members).

Let me give it a try (modified after Tyler's input and Hans' input)
1. If a car was ordered with a radio, it came with factory wiring (a red-green wire in the harness with power after position 1 of the ignition key, originating from R connector in the ignition switch, circuit 30 extension, not fused ) and the radio was dealer installed in many locations due to tarriffs and bands differences (which might have had consequences of not following the instructions precisely) and with the suppression kit. This radio installation included a fuse box and a wire back through the bulkhead grommet to the radio. On wiring diagrams we do not see the fuse, just red-green wire from R to an optional radio. Correct?

2. If a car was ordered without a radio, it came with wires in the harness, tha's it.

3. Then there are codes 531 to 536.

531 - automatic antenna (with a radio) - I guess the second wire was taped in the harness and put through the fuse box at the VR and antenna was connected to the radio. So I suppose there was another wire coming out form the harness near VR with premanent power supply, went through the fuse box at the VR and back inside through the bulkhead grommet. Correct? I am not sure where this wire takes the power from.
532 - automatic antenna without the radio - here I would suppose I would have the wires in the harness for a radio (as in point 2) and also wires for the antenna as in option 531. Correct?
533 - suppression kit without a radio - I understand you would get all of the components that are on the list we have, but that was changing over time as the radios were less and less susceptible to interference. I htink the fuse box at the VR is not there (I think Alfred was posting the parts list, cannot find it now, sorry if my memory does not serve me well)
534 - manual antenna - that is an easy one
535 - it is 532+533 - embracing sum of the components, I suppose
536 - it is 534+533 - embracing sum of the components, I suppose

My selfish reason for this wrap up is: my car was ordered with 532. Should I have the fuse box next to VR or not? Should I have any wires in the harness for the antenna?

I was hoping there is a pattern in the above and  that we can nail it for future generations.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:19:44 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Wiring for A Radio - Wrap up
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 15:54:08 »
Pawel, the small fuse box was not installed unless a radio was installed. Meaning if the car was delivered to the dealer without a radio, then it did not have the fusebox, regardless of antenna. The fusebox was added at the time of radio installation. Be it at the factory or at a dealer.
All of the cars with exception of some early 230's had the extra wire/wires taped over in the harnesss next to the VR.
The supression kit changed over the years. When transistor radios came out, some items in the kit were omitted. They were no longer needed as the transistor radios were less susceptible to interference (such as and speedo ground straps omitted).

Different markets (IE North America, South America, Africa, Europe, etc) used different bandwidths, hence the reasoning for most of the cars being exported with no radio. Correct radio being installed at its delivered market.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 15:57:18 »
Tyler, thank you!

I will update the first post accordingly.

Do you think the VR fuse box was installed when the automatic antenna was installed?
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 16:10:26 »
Pawel, I dont believe so as the automatic antenna required the radio to be installed to properly wire it. I could be wrong though.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 16:25:00 »
Ok, thank you.

Just curious how my option 532 looked like - automatic antenna without a radio. I would imagine it was installed (could be factory installed) and wired so that it works when it is hooked to a radio.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:39 »
Quote from: Tyler S.
.../...All of the cars with exception of some early 230's had the extra wire/wires taped over in the harnesss next to the VR.../...
Some info on wiring for the antenna in this old posting:
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=13322.msg90552#msg90552
/Hans S

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:37 »
Hans, thank you very much!

I tried to update my original post. Please kindly check it if you have a minute.

It looks like I should have the fuse box at the VR for the antenna.

What people ask: why was power supply taken out from under dash to the engine bay - well, when I think about it - if, for any reason, you do not want to take power for a radio through the main fuse box, there are very few easily accessible places under dash for a fuse box with easy access. The most comfortable place to check the fuse is under the hood...
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 15:22:20 »
Ok, so thanks to the present and past contributions of the Members, as I knew what to look for, I started digging in my car....
And I found it.

A bit like with the black holes - first they figured they should exist, then they found them. They would have never found them if they did not know they should be there.

I was pleasantly surprisd - my entire harness is new. It was re-manufactured. I was already pleasantly surprised a couple of times before on how precisely it was done. Here as well: both wires are there, for the radio (red/green) and the power antenna (red). Voltage is on them as it should be and when it should be. I need the fuse box now and need to run the wires back to radio and antenna. A bit worried about the radio, if I will get there without dismantling the entire dash.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 15:28:32 »
Quote from: Pawel66
.../.. both wires are here, for the radio (red/green) and the power antenna. Voltage is on them as it should be and when it should be. I need the fuse box now.../...
Bracket and fuse box available from independent vendors (see pic). It mounts behind the Voltage regulator box

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:22:34 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 15:45:36 »
Hans, thank you!

I did not know this vendor. Since this box was not available from vendors I knew except one, I bought it there, horrifyingly overpaying.... >:( >:( >:(

This is a very good vendor - made a tag in browser, will not miss it next time.

Thanks again!
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class