Author Topic: How do I find my first W113?  (Read 2552 times)

sl113newguy

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Francisco
  • ...just getting started
How do I find my first W113?
« on: September 09, 2019, 22:01:42 »
Hello everyone –
Long time reader, first time poster.
TL;DR: I’m looking for advice on how to go about finding the right W113, given I don’t have any ownership background in these (or any vintage cars), or contacts.
Feel free to skip the rest of this post, as the rest is more background on where my head is...

The long, long, detail (get ready!):
I have done quite a bit of homework (this forum, other sites, events/meetups, books, market research), and saved up. This forum is amazing for technical details and for those that already have a car, but I am looking to learn about something even more basic…the search/purchase process. I have never owned a W113, have no friends that own one or are in the business, and am trying to avoid an *incredibly* expensive mistake for my first purchase!  :D

So for all the owners out there, especially anyone who had no experience with vintage cars before purchasing their W113, how would you recommend a first-time buyer to *find* the "right" first W113? What did you do right/wrong in your first search and purchase process?

My question is less about where to look for rust, etc. (lots of awesome detail here), but more really tactically how you found your car as a “beginner”, and knowing that even having loads of pictures and detail on what to look for, never having done this before it is highly likely (actually unavoidable I bet) I’ll miss something important.

Maybe it is all very straightforward?
•   do my best to find a W113 on this forum/vintage car dealers/classifieds (Hemmings, CCT, Mercedes Heritage)/BaT/eBay/networking (car shows, owners, etc.). A challenge as I don’t have any personal history of ownership, or a friend to provide guidance (as to either the car or how to learn which sources are “trustworthy”)
•   track down a mechanic knowledgeable in W113s to inspect the car
•   cross fingers

I have dealt with dealers of other vintage goods that are far from honest in their disclosures. That, combined with the sheer cost of this purchase, leaves me quite gun-shy. Plus it seems possible that I would only ever see pictures before purchasing (which I would do everything to avoid, but I see it getting expensive if I am making multiple cross-country trips to view cars and having to finding a mechanic to meet up for each inspection..does anyone ever purchase without seeing the care themselves, and instead rely on a trusted mechanic in the area, or is that completely insane?). I don’t expect any magic in searching, and know I will need to put in the time to search and network regularly (I *wish* I could make PagodaFest), and perhaps get lucky as well. I am in no rush.

If it helps for context:
I am located in San Francisco, and am looking for a car that is ready to drive. I don’t know much, but I do know I shouldn’t take on a project! I won’t be doing the work on the car myself, and am looking for an automatic that will be a driver. I don’t expect a show car (can’t afford nor do I want one), but would like it to be as original as possible (and have saved up appropriately). I could list all the things that would be “great” to have (model, year, color, etc.) but I get the sense from time spent on the forum that I should put quality above those. Plus I think I will be happy driving around with the top down be it in a 230, 250, or 280. Actually, I know I will!

Thanks everyone (can you tell I'm nervous? yes...)
Phew!!
Norm

For anyone else reading this post also getting started, I wanted to add a list of information I find useful (of course, in addition to reading tons of technical detail on this forum!):
Buyers Guide/Books
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Buying/Start
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Buying/TobuyOrNot
http://motoringinvestments.com/mercedes-280sl-w113-buyers-guide/
https://drive-my.com/en/blogs/entry/buyer-s-guide-mercedes-benz-sl-w113-pagoda-230sl-250sl-and-280sl-automatic.html
http://www.silverstarrestorations.com/113SL.htm
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/1963-1971-mercedes-benz-230-250-280-sl/
https://www.motorious.com/articles/features/349795/mercedes-pagoda-sl-w113-buying-guide
BaT discussion threads for W113s for sale (I find comments very useful as I learn)
Original Mercedes SL book

Pricing
BaT
https://www.classic.com/m/mercedes-benz/sl/w113/
http://www.slmarket.com/tag/mercedes-280sl-250sl-230sl-values/

Data card and engine number
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/Start
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/EngineNumber
Paint codes
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/PaintCodes

1968 280SL Automatic (USA) 350 Medium Blue

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: How do I find my first W113?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 23:48:48 »
Welcome to the world of Pagodas. 

First off you need to go and see and touch a few cars to get a feel for them.  desertauto.com has one – take it for a test drive and study your “rust location guides” and see if you can spot rust in this car – be prepared to lay on the ground and look under it.  Ask if you can see it on the hoist.  Open the hood – open the trunk – open the doors and then after you are done looking at it say you have to think about it and then call them back and say you need an automatic.  They may know of one.

Then call around until you find another and do the same and after a few cars you will probably find the right one and then spend the $$ to have it inspected by a local Pagoda expert (ask in this forum for one) with regard to  bodywork and mechanicals and then pull the trigger if the car feels good.  Beware - Everything costs more than expected.

I drove (abused) my Dad’s car when I was much younger and absolutely fell in love with it so after it sat for 20+ yrs and became a project, I obtained it, fixed it up (still fixing) and still love it.   

The only car I liked more in my life was a friend’s daily driver 1976 Porsche Turbo but it was so different that it really wasn’t comparable.  The Porsche was a hairy chested scary beast sort of thing where the Pagoda is more refined like James Bond in a dinner suit.

I can say I have only driven a few Pagodas and all of them have been different.  Mine can be much better.     The most enjoyable examples I have driven were 230sl's so don't just insist on a 280SL if you haven't tried the 230SL's.   I have also drove a 280SL that I returned shortly to the owner because it just didn't feel safe. 

Good luck and buy the best one you can afford. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:31:02 »
I recommend you go down to San Diego at the time of PagodaFest and stand around, admiring the cars. Even if the event is sold out and they don't let you register, figure out where they are and have a look. Listen to the conversations. The time and money you spend on this activity will be repaid by your confidence when you really buy one.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:56:54 »
Peter has a good idea.  Just talking to other owners as you are doing is a big help.  Another thing I wanted to mention is parts prices have risen dramatically over the past several years.  Things like electric fuel pumps($1700)  or headlight doors (turn signal lenses.  $2750) are killers.  These cars are 50 years old.  Be prepared because things will break.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:50 »
Hi Norm. Perhaps you can find a knowledgeable fellow enthusiast in your area who would not mind going with you to have a look at Pagodas being offered for sale near you. In any event have a thorough prepurchase inspection done on any car you are considering buying. They are definitely not the same and price is not necessarily an indicator of the true condition.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:58:47 »
I recommend you go down to San Diego at the time of PagodaFest. The time and money you spend on this activity will be repaid by your confidence when you really buy one.

Nuff Said !

Several of us will buy you a beer while showing you everything we did not know when we bought ours. 

This said - you seem to be far ahead of many based on your research.    However be careful, over research has also caused some to never find the right car - I know more than one person, who did not find the "right" one after 5 years - in my opinion it was analysis paralysis, as they walked away from several fine cars. 

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:04 »
Just a note of caution on Pagodafest, you will need a ticket to attend as this is a “by invitation”. gathering and not open to the public nor in a public area other than the drives.

I believe there was a single ticket available a couple of days ago..
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:53:00 »
A couple of points:

- These cars are very well built and tolerate a lot of abuse. The result is that many have deferred maintenance issues, but still run. Make sure you know what you're getting into. You may not have to deal with the issues immediately, but they won't go away.

- Visit and drive a bunch before deciding. After 50 years, they all develop individual personalties. Like puppies, you'll probably fall in love with the right one.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 13:34:40 »
Don't just look at as many as you can; drive as many as you can.
So many are not driving the way a good pagoda does and the only way for you to know is by comparison.

sl113newguy

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 17:30:32 »
Hey everyone -
Thanks SO MUCH for the replies, I much appreciate it! Keep it coming!  ;D
@pj I wish I could attend PagodaFest. Unfortunately it is not for a lack of a ticket (if that was "all", I would for sure try to crash the party), but rather am traveling during that period so won't be able to join...can't tell you how disappointed I am to miss it, truly. @kampala I'll take you up on a beer at the next PagodaFest!  :D

@Cees I like that idea. As I meet people in my area (San Francisco), I'll see if someone can join me sometime.

@Shvegel is there a resource that "summarizes" some of the key parts and rough costs? I assume that doesn't really exist (I see in posts here and there). It makes me wonder about other parts...say replacing a top, repainting, etc. I do not have even a rough sense for those.

@stickandrudderman I do need to drive many more, It's a very good point. I suspect I'll only know what "good" is by comparison over time.
A related question, though I would not want to do it, does anyone ever buy a car having not driven (or even seen it)? I assume that is happening on BaT and the like, with maybe just a local mechanic to see/drive the car.

sl113newguy

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 17:33:22 »
Good luck and buy the best one you can afford.

Thanks for all the recommendations @Bonnyboy (though unfortunately am in N. California, so desertauto would be a trek...)
And I haven't driven enough to be able to tell a "good" 230 v 250 v 280, but I'll keep this in mind - good point!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 21:19:58 by sl113newguy »

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46:08 »
I am dealing a lot with Vintage cars of mainly European provenance. I have talked to many buyers and sellers over the last few years and I have one important advice for anyone who looks for a certain, specific car model:
Don't buy a car that is in, buy a car that is inside you!

Here, in this forum, you will not find anybody trying to talk you out of a Pagoda or steer you in a different direction, because everybody thinks the Pagoda is one of the greatest cars ever built. Still, it may not be the right one for you.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

sl113newguy

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Francisco
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 20:52:38 »
Thanks @MikeSimon-
Indeed the truth! one of the things I like about this forum is now that I have found the right car type (Pagoda), I figure I am  the right spot to dig deeper into all the technical details  :D