Author Topic: Data Codes  (Read 2353 times)

gullwing71

Data Codes
« on: July 31, 2019, 22:21:37 »
Hi Fellow Pagodists!
My first ever post.
I am looking to purchase my first ever pagoda and can see a few additional options which are not reflected on the original data card.
For these cars, were options also added after production, and/or after purchase.  I understand that additional options are nice, but will the value of the car be higher than a car that just matches the original data card?  Many thanks, and I am looking forward to this special forum.

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
Re: Data Codes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 22:46:31 »
"...will the value of the car be higher than a car that just matches the original data card?"

hard to say.  Maybe if it was re-painted in a better color than original.

Added AC may add a little bit.  Ditto a correct and working Becker, but either of these won't show up on the data card.

What options are you seeing that's been added?
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

gullwing71

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 23:05:06 »
Hi,
Thanks for reply.
I am seeing upgraded leather (in original cognac color) from MB tex (140), and also see an antenna but the data card does not reflect any antenna.  The soft top is now in new colored dark brown but I believe the original color is light beige.  The car is in original #542 dark red color with matching hub cabs and roof, all match data card.  Also, if I added a right side (passenger) rear view mirror would that add or detract from value? 

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 23:25:38 »
Leather will add value IMHO.

Hard to say on the top.  I would think darker is better as light colored tops always look dirty.

I added a RH mirror.  Doubt it will deduct any value, but may not add much either.  I prefer the looks of symmetry, albeit the mirror not too useful.

gullwing71

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 00:11:57 »
Thanks - I am really struggling to determine which car to buy....either a $50k car needing work or a $95k car which looks and drives great with minimal work. Can you go from a 50 TO A 95 AND BEYOND?

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 00:57:15 »
Which one do you LIKE more?  As much as I am pleased that my 230SL has appreciated in value over the time I have been its custodian, the real reason why I acquired it was because I always wanted to have one ever since I first saw one in Germany when I was a kid, really LIKED the one that came my way and wanted to enjoy the experience of driving, maintaining and preserving it.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:31:15 »
$50k car...what kind of work does it need?

Rust and paint work?  Might as well get the $95k car if it's been done right.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:17:18 »
Leather will add value IMHO.

Funny that you say that. That was always what I was thinking but it seems MBTex has a lot of fans who prefer it over leather.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

KevinC

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 20:44:39 »
@gullwing71...

If the $50k car has about $25k worth of work to be done, than one would assume you'd be ahead of the game buying that car. Especially as you'll know the quality of work that was done to the car. Also, you can't assume that the $90k car is awesome just because they are asking twice as much. This stated, depending how much work either car needs, you could also "overspend" the finished value if there has been a great deal of rust or accident damage or if a great many of the original parts are not in place. Even though some of this goes without saying, you may want to study this info in our Technical Manual to help you make the right decision...

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Buying/PrepurchaseEvaluation

Specific to your "options" question, I don't know if you are using the correct term here...if the canvas top is a different color than the data card, its perhaps that a PO (Previous Owner) decided to change it. The same goes for the leather interior. Many will say leather is an upgrade but MBTex wears like iron so if one was planning on enjoying many miles with this car, leather may not be the right choice. Either way, some will say that the top color change and change to leather was not originally how the car left the factory so those changes will reduce the value albeit probably only slightly. Perhaps the change to leather would be a wash vs originality. As far as the antenna goes,  I believe if the car was produced with a radio, it would receive an antenna...what other way would there have been to pick up radio signals back in the day? I believe that a POWER antenna, was a possible option, however.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 16:41:18 by KevinC »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 23:04:23 »
If the data card does not show a radio or an antenna, then the car was shipped with the blanking plate, which allowed the selling dealer to upsell radio and antenna installations at time of sale.  Most MB dealers in the U.S had access to either Becker or Blaupunkt radio sets and manual or power Hirschmann antennas when offering dealer installations (although I have seen a couple of Motorolas in Pagodas over the years).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 14:58:51 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 12:39:37 »
Not that it matters, but I think the antennas were "Hirschmann"????
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 15:01:34 »
Quite right, but I couldn't remember if it had one "n" or two, so I abbreviated it in my original post, now corrected.  ;^)
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 15:21:41 »
My comment as far as extras to add to the value are

Having as much documentation as you can get regarding service, manuals, history and restorations.
Having the data cards.
Having an original took kit.
Clean engine compartment as original as possible
Good chrome and generally good appearance
Originality
I have a ski rack which is an unusual assessory but I don't know if it adds value.
Bob

gullwing71

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 17:26:59 »
Thanks all !

I went to see a few cars from dealers and the $50k range ones looked nice from photos but in person they looked like work was needed, paint, detailing, chrome.  Some even had too much underseal in certain places (wheel arches, etc).   Others had a gloss finish on the underside of the trunk lid and trunk floor and trunk wall - this is not original so I passed quickly.

Other cars I have seen in the $100K+ range look beautiful.  Most of these upper range cars have service history, original keys, fender notches, spot welds, matching numbers, original Becker Europa, Frigiking (not all though).  I will try and get a pre-purchase inspection (I am in CT, right next to NY) and read the technical manual regarding evaluation (thanks for sharing).  I think if I buy one I might also get an ivory steering wheel, matching colored gear knob for the shifter (automatic) and electric Hirschmann aerial.  Also, will take a magnet with me.

I think this acquisition journey may take a few months!  I am also selling my 2002 R129 Silver Arrow (excellent condition generally) which I have had for 3 years.  _--- will post here once a deal is done!

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 17:33:29 »

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 17:53:11 »
I would say that the determining factor for 113's is condition followed closely by options and how original the car is. You can find an original, zero optioned car that's a complete POS and what's that worth?
Condition of a zero option car that's not original but is in fantastic shape is probably worth more than an original, fully optioned hulk, that's falling apart as you look at it.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC