Author Topic: Lower Aluminum Trim Clips  (Read 1867 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Lower Aluminum Trim Clips
« on: December 29, 2018, 00:36:42 »
Hello all. I know this has been discussed a lot -- but with so much time having passed, thought I'd ask again for latest opinions.

Today as I was out for a spin, I discovered/decided I need to get new clips to hold on the lower passenger door trim. I seem to remember Yellow vs Blue? Any idea which are correct for my car? Best vendor? Part number? Offers to come install?

Here is a close-up of trim and a nice full body pic after today's chilly but satisfying ride! Yes that is double sided tape (thus this thread).

Thanks
James

PS who are all these new members! Any Northern California Recruits? Time for a reunion?... 49er? Lurtch? you in?
James
63 230SL

wayne R

Re: Lower Aluminum Trim Clips
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 04:37:48 »
Hi James, i tool a look at Buds Benz, looks like they have them,
i have never used them but  page Q,---- partial  parts or full kit,
Blue --white and metal in full kit.    regards.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 18:31:26 »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 17:42:33 »
Thanks guys. Alfred those links were perfect. Of course, I feel like an idiot since I was part of the same question 13 years ago...Wait, that was the other J. Huber....

So if I have it right, I will need seven yellows for one door trim. Two metal clips along with two white inserts that will keep the thing from sliding.

** Updated. I went ahead and pulled my trim piece -- just as a point of reference as one of the earlier cars -- mine has the seven yellow clips and metal prong things on every hole. Original (almost certain).

Now it appears that three of the rounded ball inserts are worn down some and just not biting in the door holes. Or the door holes are enlarged but I doubt it. I will order some new yellows clips and hope they fit more snuggly.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 22:42:28 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL