Author Topic: How many pilots are in the group?  (Read 16884 times)

Howard Long

• Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
How many pilots are in the group?
« on: December 07, 2016, 22:25:08 »
I just noticed that Rolf-Dieter sent out a humorous post for pilots in the group about a month ago. 

I live in Georgia and have a 71 280SL that I am restoring in my basement.  I just wondered how many pilots are in the group. 

I spent 5 years with the US Air Force and then 32 years with Delta Air Lines and I expect that several in the group have lots of pilot experience either civilian, military or with commercial air lines around the world. 

I would be interested in hearing from any pilots in the group.

Howard 
71 280SL 4-speed

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
Re: How many pilots are in the group?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 21:36:21 »
Contact fly air in Poland.
He is a Pilot.
I once worked for Pan Am when we were the #1 airline in the World, 1960.
Tom M
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:08:13 »
I know of many more in the group... Read the Member Introductions...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 13:35:45 »
...then 32 years with Delta Air Lines...

Howard, did you fly with my childhood friend and pilot Larry Webster at Delta?
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 04:07:01 »
Ralph,

I know the name, Larry Webster, and I think that he was a little senior to me.  I did not know him personally.

Howard

Stimorolgum

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:48:22 »
Hello Howard

Interesting question. Im an airline pilot (A320)   8)

Cheers

/Martin
230SL

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 18:09:09 »
Well Howard, I am (or was) a private pilot.
My father was an accomplished private pilot (Commercial IFR rated, flew a 421 Golden Eagle).
So, when I went off to college he said he would pay for my license if I was interested.
In 13 months in Boulder Colorado, I had my single engine land license in a Cessna 152.
I flew a little locally (Boulder) then haven't done it since the early eighties.
I get motion sick which makes it not nearly as much fun as it could be.  :(
It was a great experience. I flew a glider too (only once I mean). Beautiful sites.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 16:31:24 »
Dear Martin,

I just thought that it would be interesting to see how many pilots were enjoying Pagodas.  Which airline do you fly the Airbus 320 for?  I am very familiar with the airplane but never got to check out in the Airbus.  Delta did not get the 320 or 330 until after I retired.  What routes do you normally fly?

I bought my 280SL about when I retired and about 3 years ago I started a full restoration. I still have a long way to go. How long have you had your 230SL?

I started flying the Cessna 140 in high school and then I went into the US Air Force after college and trained in the T-37 & T-38.  I joined Delta Air Lines in 1970 and flew the Convair 880, Boeing 727-200, 737-200, 757-200, 767-200, 767-300ER, 767-400ER and the Lockheed L-1011 before I retired in 2002.

If you get to Atlanta sometime, let me know.  I would love to show you where I am at on my 280SL.

Howard 

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 15:48:18 »
I think my handle says it all!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 19:38:33 »
In [my] book Pagoda Style, two pilots, at minimum, are highlighted:

Nick Daffern who flies a 737 (and is shown standing by one); I believe he was/is a pilot for Alaska Airlines...
Chan Johnson from Hawaii, who flies a de Havilland Canada Dash 8 or DHC-8, a twin-engine, medium range, turboprop airliner. He flies or flew for Hawaii Airlines.
I managed to sneak in one and inserted it into the sky in the background photo on his second page.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

navymike

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Plantation
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 18:08:07 »
Hi Howard,

I'm an A320 Captain based in ATL.  Live in S. Fla and have car stored at a friend's house in Central Fla.  1967 250SL.

Mike
1952 220B Cabriolet-proj
1962 190SL
1967 300SE Cabriolet-proj
1968 250SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 17:46:56 »
I was an instrument-rated private pilot.  I sold my Arrow a few years ago.  I keep my medical up but I am not current.  There is always that idea that I might find a giant pot of money and take it up again.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 15:48:24 »
I was an instrument-rated private pilot...might find a giant pot of money...

Many years ago, during the 1979 fuel crisis, a friend of mine flew me from CT to central NY in his Piper, since I could not find gas for my BMW. His single engine Piper Cherokee burned something like 7 GPH, and I happily paid him the gas money, even for the costly Avgas. When we were taxiing for takeoff, I spied a warbird at the airport in Oxford, CT. "Wow" I said, "that would be really cool to own"...

"No", said my pilot friend as we set the brakes for the run-up. "It burns 100 gph". Don't know whether it was true or not, but the point was taken. It's an expensive hobby...I know plenty of private pilots, and everyone I know who had plane has sold it! Add one more with Ray here...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 19:32:08 »
Hey Howard,

James from Albany, GA here. I am a former Navy Flight Surgeon and as you may be aware, the Navy sends us through flight school with the "real" pilots and we hold a service group three (SG3) designation, meaning that we were check off to fly in dual controlled air frames with an unrestricted or SG1 pilot in the other seat. I served the majority of my time as the base Flight Surgeon at NAS Jacksonville, FL and over the course of several years had the opportunity to fly many Navy as well as other aircraft because of the proximity of the Air National Guard. Stupidly, I did not take the opportunity to obtain my civilian ratings and continue flying once I separated, one of the few regrets that I have. Anyway, I will reach out the next time I'm in Atlanta (just left after watching the Falcons handle the Seahawks) and if you have time I would love to see your restoration in progress.

Take care.

James

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 00:20:33 »
Dear James,

Let me know when you will be in Atlanta and I I will buy the beer.  I have been working in the passenger side, front wheel well.  I did not realize just how much rust damage I had there.  I started to just replace the reinforcement struts but it is a little harder than I thought.  I just keep plugging along.  I think that there may be a New TIG welder that will soon be in my basement.  There are limits to what I can do with my MIG.

Need to get out of town, so it is off to Hawaii for a couple of weeks.

Howard

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 04:07:01 »
SPL (Student Pilot Licence) is as far as I got before running out of time and money but it was a great experience. The last time I flew was over the Napa Valley in aerial photographer William Garnett's spartan and beautiful 1955 Cessna 170B!

http://www.photographywest.com/pages/GarnettBio.htm
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

jpressick

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, VA, Poquoson
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 15:32:11 »
My flying career started in the Air Force in 1966 flying the F4 Phantom.  After 100 missions over North Vietnam I was stationed in Europe, still flying the F4.  After five years I was an instructor pilot in the F4 at George Air Force Base.  In 1986 I started flying the Lear Jet in support of the U S Navy and the U S Air Force towing targets for the ships and aircraft to shoot at.  All in all, I accumulated about 22000 hours.  I am also the original owner of a 1967 250 SL which was picked up from the factory in Germany.

Rick

• Regular
  • USA, NV, Gardnerville
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 18:13:34 »
I have been flying since 1978--   I now am doing my "retirement" gig in managing several corporate owned aircraft of various types which are Part 91 and used for their corporate buisness and personal needs.   I direct system and aircraft oversite, crew management, and scheduling. I also fly myself.   As I write this I am in L.A. for a flight.  Kind of fun and a whole lot better than the Part 135 stuff I had done in the past as Chief pilot and Ops director.

The pagoda is the 1971 model which I bought in 1978, about the same time I began flying.  I still have it.

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 15:36:50 »
Dear Stick,

I had noticed several of your posts and I thought that you may have had a little to do with aviation.  Are you still active flying and what type of aircraft have you flown?  If you get to Atlanta, let me know.

Howard

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 15:52:22 »
Hey Dave,

Good to hear from you.  No matter what your experience level, it seems that everyone remembers their aviation experiences, even those that that may be Good, Bad or Ugly, there is much to learn from the experience.  Great photos, by the way.

Howard

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 16:06:56 »
jptessick

Good to hear from you, we were in the Air Force about the same time, I went in in 1964, with a year at Webb AFB for UPT and then up the road to Lubbock for 4 years as an Instructor in the T-37. Where were you based for USAF Pilot Training?  What did you fly after the F-4?

Sorry to be so long getting back to you.  I was in Hawaii for 3 weeks and when we got home my wife was in the hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia. Still being the caregiver and not getting much done on the Pagoda but the new TIG welder arrived yesterday.

I spent 32 years with Delta in Atlanta and I still live just north of Atlanta. If you get to Atlanta, give me a call.

Howard

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 16:47:11 »
Dear Rick,

Good to hear from you.  I considered staying in aviation after I retired from Delta but at the time there were a lot of pilots out of a job and I could not in good conscious take a job from someone who needed one.  My Pagoda is my retirement job.

I know you are managing several corporate aircraft, what types and how often do you get to fly?

If you get to Atlanta let me know.

Howard

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 22:57:39 »
There is this expression here:
Question: How can you recognise a pilot at a social gathering?
Answer: Easy peasy, you do not need to do anything, he will tell you about it without being asked..." ;D

But seriously... I think that I can also check in. Not active anymore for health reason, but keep my ATPL frozen...
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Martyberg

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Australia, Western Australia, Perth
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 14:33:45 »
Hi Howard,

I'm an B777 Captain with Cathay Pacific Airways. Originally from the South African Airforce, I've been in Hong Kong for 17 years now. I actually went through Atlanta last year on my way to watch the Masters. My Pagoda is in Perth, I get down there for around 10 days a month.

Regards,
Martin
1967 250SL Auto

Howard Long

• Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 21:37:04 »
Dear Martin,

Good to hear from you.  My career was with Delta and I retired on the 767-300ER about 15 years ago.  I have been to Hong Kong and Eastern Australia over the years but I have not been to Perth.  if you get thru Atlanta again, let me know. I would love to meet you.

Howard