Author Topic: Bosch Fuel Injection Pump  (Read 26621 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Bosch Fuel Injection Pump
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 17:15:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

I've heard that the injectors can be cleaned ultra-sonically. I have used my wife's jewellery cleaner for this purpose!

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic

Yes they can.  I don't know the proper solvents to use; however it is unlikely a small jewelry cleaning model has enough power to really do the job properly, and certainly most of us don't have the proper tools to check the injectors before or after.  One of the companies says that theirs has 5,000 watts of ultrasonic power.  This is not readily or inexpensively available; I have one small laboratory unit and it is not anywhere near 5,000 watts; more likely about 500!  Of course they also say not to use anything buy water based cleaning agents....my guess is you need a strong solvent to clean injectors.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 17:16:20 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 19:36:17 »
I got two of my injectors out to swap them in testing.  They are Bosch DC8C45R1.  I will probably send them to be cleaned, but they are apparently not my immidiate problem.

I called Gus at Pacific Fuel Injection and he said they can be cleaned with an ultrasonic treatment.  He also said the "old ones" are NLA, but the "new ones" would work fine with my 230SL Injection Pump.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 21:43:39 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 09:16:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

I got two of my injectors out to swap them in testing.  They are Bosch DC8C45R1.  I will probably send them to be cleaned, but they are apparently not my immidiate problem.

I called Gus at Pacific Fuel Injection and he said they can be cleaned with an ultrasonic treatment.  He also said the "old ones" are NLA, but the "new ones" would work fine with my 230SL Injection Pump.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420

Rodd et al,

From what I understand and researched when I did my system was that the balance between the injectors is important; there is a tolerance +/- in fuel flow that should be maintained for proper and uniform operation across all the injectors.  That's one reason why they should be cleaned as a group and tested as a group to ensure that this tolerance is maintained.  One thing the "cleaners" should have is a standard.  I don't know if Bosch publishes it or not.  There's also a spray pattern that should be fairly uniform from injector to injector.  What the cleaning is supposed to do of course is to remove everything from the injector that doesn't belong there which would impede or alter the fuel flow or delivery.  I would imagine one could save a bit of money by having the injectors cleaned.  We may think our injectors are expensive, but electronic ones have a solenoid and they are probably twice the price.

When I got my car, I spoke with Hans at H&R; Bruce Adams of SL, Bud's Benz; Hatch & Sons; Paul Russel, and Dave Payne who did the restoration.  ALL of these guys said the same thing regarding the running of the car, almost verbatim "It hasn't been sitting long, has it?" to which my reply was, "Well, not too long--just since 1985".  They were all concerned about the fuel system, and of course having sat for 14 years, it was useless.

Hans tested my injectors and suggested disposing of them. :evil:  I think they were beyond salvation.  Let's hope yours are much better!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 11:35:02 »
Michael,

I guess when I said I would send the injectors in for a cleaning, I didn't imply that I would do all of them.  I do know to do that.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 17:39:39 »
Here's an update on my injection pump and cold start valve (CSV).
I received both IP and CSV back from Hans at H&R.  See attached pics of before and after.  Summary, took a lot of time to remove and re-install!!!!  but, now the car runs like a dream!  When I first started the car after installing the rebuilt IP and CSV, the car started right up...  as it ran, it started to run poorly and there was a strong smell of gas.  It also back fired when I pushed the linkage and let off of it.  Called Hans and we spoke about the problem and possible solutions.  We agreed that I need to check the spark plugs.  Maybe the oil was saturated with gas from "before" I sent the IP and CSV to Hans.  I pulled the plugs and sure enough, plugs were caked with black soot, carbon (fyi, these were brand new plugs).  Anyway, I then drained the oil.  I have never seen oil like this before.  It ran out like water!  Smelled very strong of gasoline.  The oil filter was clean but smelled of gas!  I replaced the oil and filter, and also installed yet another set of new plugs.  At this point a few $ more...  the wife is already mad so it wont make a difference...  The car started right up!  A little black smoke and smell of gas.  No back firing!  Today I took the baby on its maiden journey.  It ran great!!!  Filled the new gas tank with fresh new gasoline...  drove highway and in stop and go traffic.  I even put the top down.  Today in Memphis it was sunny and very nice.  I did run the heater however...  I checked the plugs tonight and all 6 look very normal.  A nice, slight greyish color!  I am soooo happy!  

If anyone needs advice or help with replacing their IP, CSV or gas tank, please email me or post a new post on our website.

Note: I also ended up buying 6 new injectors.  Hans told me that all 6 of mine were bad.

To all that helped me, thank you!  A special thanks and hello to Joe and Mary...

Bob

Download Attachment: ip-before.jpg
27.76 KB

Download Attachment: ip-after.jpg
36.9 KB

Download Attachment: csv-before.jpg
33.01 KB

Download Attachment: csv-after.jpg
27.14 KB

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 17:43:24 by bpossel »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2004, 18:46:40 »
Good job Bob,
Glad to hear it worked out, but sorry you had to do so much work and went over budget. Hopefully the experience and knowledge gained will continue to save you time and money in the long run not to mention the satisfaction from doing it on your own!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally