Author Topic: Horn interior  (Read 9028 times)

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
Horn interior
« on: October 10, 2004, 17:21:09 »
I planned to clean the outerparts of my horns. By doing so I discovered that there was rust under the protecting tecktyl. That made me curious about the rust in the interior. And indeed there was rust inside the first horn. This was caused by leaking very thin paper gaskets one cannot get original anymore. After I putted the parts together it was difficult to get the right sound again. A mechanic did the finetuning. I could not inspect the inside of the second horn as I did not succeeded in unscrewing the outer parts. For those who are interested in the secrets of the horn I made some pics.

Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl

Download Attachment: horn front.jpg
59.42 KB

Download Attachment: horn back.jpg
67.19 KB

Download Attachment: horn interior parts.jpg
45.24 KB

Download Attachment: horn electric circuit.jpg
65.13 KB

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Horn interior
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 22:49:22 »
There is a counterlocking adjustment screw behind the round "Bosch" type-plate that can be turned in small increments to make the horn sound optimally (or make it sound at all: if not properly adjusted, all you will hear is a clicking sound). This is from memory, three years ago, when I fixed the one original horn that is still on my car. The other one was replaced by a previous owner. I don't think these horns are available anymore.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

hauser

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 22:55:32 »
Someone is selling reproduction horns on ebay.  These horns have chrome faces and a center logo.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 23:50:56 »
After cleaning, painting and replacing the paper (fiber) gaskets I mounted the horns again and when I tried to test them -- no sound but  fuse #2 blew![:0]
Checking with an Ohm meter revealed that one horn had a short from the terminals to the center bolt but not the other although I thought that I had assembled them identically.  Comparing the sequence of the inner parts indicated that the rubber washer shown in gwuisman parts picture was in the wrong place in the defective horn.
So to save others some time who might want to refurbish those horns here are some details of the assembly.

The horn can be separated into 2 parts by removing the 8 screws on the periphery, the outer part with the tuning screw and the sound disc and the inner part containing the electromagnet.
Separating the cover (with slits) from the dividing plate allows acces to the sound disc.

The sound disc is held inplace by a hex nut and 2 washers. Behind the disc is a brass ring with an off-center alignment pin. This ring is separated from the dividing plate by a rubber washer and an insulating fiber disc.
-- On the horn with the short I had switched the rubber washer and the insulator - ouch! --

On the other side of the dividing plate is another fiber insulator, followed by a spacer collar that has a slot which locks the wings of center bolt (that acts as a tuning screw) in place.  A coned washer separates the anchor from the collar.  All these parts have an off-center hole for the alignment pin. 
So, assembly is pretty easy since all the parts fit together like a jigsaw puzzle - as long as the sequence is correct!

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 18:54:32 by vanesp »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)