Author Topic: Euro Headlights  (Read 14963 times)

bpossel

Euro Headlights
« on: September 14, 2007, 18:26:59 »
Hello All!

I just installed a set of new Euro headlights that I purchased from Adsit.  I followed the procedure below (from an earlier post...  thank you!).  Procedure worked great !!! The lights, and...  fog lights light up nicely :) !

:?:  :?: My question is...  has anyone been able to figure out how to add to this procedure and make the front side marker lights blink with the blinkers ???

:) Thank you!!!
Bob

How to Connect European Head Lights
The euro light has a 6-prong connector (male), of which 5 of the connectors are used (out of the box). The standard sidelight has 2 male prongs. The following procedure can be used so that you don't cut any wires and can return the set-up back to the original if desired.

You will need the following materials for each side:

1. Bullet electrical connectors, one male and two female.
2. Two 1-foot long lengths of 14 gauge wire.
3. One circle eyelet electrical connector.

One male and one female bullet connector is connected to one wire
One female and one circle eyelet connector is connected to the other wire.

For the 1st wire that has one male and one female end, the male connector is inserted into the 6th hole of the 6 prong euro light harness so that there are now 6 male connectors form the euro light harness. The 6th hole is open and not used when taken out of the box.  The female end of the wire is connected to one of the two male connectors of the sidelight (does not matter which).

Now connect the 6 prong female harness to the euro light harness that now has 6 male connectors.

For the 2nd wire that has the female connector and a circle eyelet connector, the female end of this wire is attached to the other male prong of the 2-prong (male) side light wire. The other end of this wire is grounded to the bottom of the light bucket with a sheet metal screw through the eyelet.

There is a way to make the connections so that your sidelight is activated with the blinkers. This procedure is not included….

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

hauser

Re: Euro Headlights
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 19:01:42 »
Bob, did you get the flat lens or the bubble type?

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 19:14:24 »
Hello Hauser!

I believe these are the bubble ones...

I will take pics of the front of my car tomorrow, but in the mean time, here are a few pics of the light fixtures...

Download Attachment: euro1a.jpg
39.13 KB

Download Attachment: euro1b.jpg
62.7 KB

Download Attachment: euro2a.jpg
50.82 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

hauser

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 21:13:34 »
Do you have any tooling marks on the lenses?  These marks look like tiny cracks in the glass.

You may want to consider upgrading the bulbs to halogens.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 21:15:14 by hauser »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 21:32:10 »
Nice Bob. Now did you convert from US or just get new ones? Love to see a full on shot.

Related question: for ever (long time) I have not been able to get my European "parking light" function to work. You know, the one left click/ two left click doodads for night curbing. The small bulb lights up one right click together -- but nothing on the lefties. Do yours work Bob? Anyone have ideas?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

tuultyme

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 22:02:42 »
The US side lights can not be wired just as side lights with the Euro headlights.  I followed Stern lighting to get the lights to light with the head lights. When the headlights are on the side lights alternate flash with the blinkers.  When the headlights are off the side light flash with the blinkers.  The side light only has one wire coming from it; the only wire is the ground.  Connect one wire from the side light to the hot turn signal wire and connect the "ground wire" to the park light; remove all grounding of side lights.  I did have to remount the side lights with plastic bolts to prevent the side lights from grounding to the fender.  
I upgraded the head lights to halogens from those of Stern lighting and removed the stock shield. Should this be done?

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

hauser

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 23:08:58 »
Bruce, Daniel Stern advised not to remove shield.

http://index.php?topic=2679

I haven't crossed this bridge yet since I'm waiting on additional bulbs.

I had always thought there was a clearence problem if the shield remained in place.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 23:32:27 »
James - I converted my US original headlights to Euro ones years ago. I did not have to do anything special to get the little park lights to work with the switch in the 1x left, 2x left position.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 00:11:50 »
Cees/James,

I have US lights and want Euro ones but competing priorities for limited money mean I won't have them any time soon.

Can you please explain how one 'converts' US style to Euro headlights? I'm hoping this might be a cheaper option!

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 05:05:16 »
With the instructions per this original posting, my new Euro lights function identical to when I had USA lights installed.  One exception is that I now have fog lights (lower part of Euro lights) that can be turned on by turning the light switch one click to the right, then by pulling out the switch, the fog lights illuminate :) .  As we know, std USA lights do no have the fogs :( .

Note: I did not remove the shield (Daniel Stern advised not to).
I also upgraded all light bulbs with brighter bulbs, recommended by Daniel Stern. (I will post bulb chart later)

Bruce, thanks.  What I will do to get the side markers to flash with the front blinkers is use the "ground wire" of each side marker light and connect this to each respective blinker wire (black/green=right; black/white=left).

James, when I turn my light switch to the left, I still do not have function of the "night curbing" parking lights... :(

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 05:53:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

I still do not have function of the "night curbing" parking lights... :(

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

These lights only work when the ignition is turned off.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

bpossel

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 06:52:03 »
Hi Bob,

Even with the ignition off, key out, the curb lights dont light up on my car.  I am sure it's how they wired this USA version car in 1970/71.  The USA boys probably wanted you to use the emergency blinker lights vs the curb lights?
B.

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 09:10:36 »
quote:

Hi Bob,

Even with the ignition off, key out, the curb lights dont light up on my car.  I am sure it's how they wired this USA version car in 1970/71.  The USA boys probably wanted you to use the emergency blinker lights vs the curb lights?
B.

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Mine won't go with ign. off either. However, mine are original Euros -- so there may be more than one cause for this problem!

And James -- I therefore can't give any first hand knowledge on the conversion... but many here have done it...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 19:13:20 »
Here is a before and after picture (USA to Euro lights).
Bob

Download Attachment: euro_usa.jpg
74.79 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 21:02:48 »
I am a little biased but I like the new look better! Makes the car look more German to me -- like its ready to take on the Romantische Strasse!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 23:18:42 »
I see you also either removed the bumper guards or changed the bumper.  I too prefer the look as you now have it.  If you changed the bumpers, are they OEM or aftermarket?  Any issues with fit?  I spoke with you about your car in Ohio.  Your car looks very nice.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

bpossel

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 04:06:21 »
Thanks James & Frank,

I went with aftermarket bumpers w/o the guards.  Went the cheaper route and packed my originals away, with the USA lights.  The next owner can return car to original if desired very easily. What is nice about the wiring change in my original post is that is does not require any cutting.  Just plugging in...  So, lights can be quickly returned to it's original delivered state.

I purchased the aftermarkets from the ImportBaron. They seem to be pretty good, in general, but not perfect.  The issue that I have had with them is that they required me to use shims to get them to line up correctly.  With my OE bumbers, I didnt need any shims.  They also required new non metric bolts. (Note: The ImportBaron does not respond to emails! He likes to use the telephone).

For now, the aftermarkets work for me.  In the future, I may get my OE bumpers rechromed and have the guard hole removed.  I agree, I really prefer this new look over the USA look, but it truly personal preference.
Regards,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

bpossel

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 07:01:43 »
Here are the brighter bulbs I purchased from Daniel Stern for the Euro lights & rear lights:

Download Attachment: LightBulb1.jpg
41 KB

Download Attachment: LightBulb2.jpg
44.19 KB
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 20:10:05 by bpossel »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 14:07:03 »
Bob,

The car looks great with the new lights and bumpers. Good job. No one has come back to me on what it means to convert the lights. (I'll do a search later). In the meantime, could you tell me where you got your Euro lights from and what they set you back? I've found them at SLS but they're prohibitive for me at that price.
Thanks,

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 18:59:15 »
Hello James,

Adsit Company 800-521-7656.  Euro lights with 2 new chrome trim surrounds and shipping ~1200.

A couple more photos from today. Beautiful day here in Memphis!

Download Attachment: front.jpg
51.09 KB

Download Attachment: rear.jpg
56.97 KB
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 19:06:31 by bpossel »

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 20:35:10 »
FYI.  Robert the Import Baron is suffering the effects of a debilitating illness which he tells me makes typing difficult.  He also prefers internet orders instead of over the phone because even talking will soon become more difficult for him.

If ordering from Adsit, they offer a 10% discount if ordering from their Hemmings order form.  I believe it also applies if you order online at www.adsitco.com

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Chad

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 21:21:17 »
If only they could invent a pill for treating this - and dissolve it into the public water supply.

That guy has volumes written about him on the diesel shopforum.

quote:
Originally posted by doitwright

FYI.  Robert the Import Baron is suffering the effects of a debilitating illness which he tells me makes typing difficult.  He also prefers internet orders instead of over the phone because even talking will soon become more difficult for him.

1967 230SL
2007 Feathercraft K1 Kayak and Aleut Paddle
(A sometimes happy marriage of technology)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 21:22:15 by Chad »

Chad

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 21:23:56 »
Wow, that combo was $750 (including the rings) from them two years ago.  

quote:

Hello James,

Adsit Company 800-521-7656.  Euro lights with 2 new chrome trim surrounds and shipping ~1200.

A couple more photos from today. Beautiful day here in Memphis!

Download Attachment: front.jpg
51.09 KB

Download Attachment: rear.jpg
56.97 KB

1967 230SL
2007 Feathercraft K1 Kayak and Aleut Paddle
(A sometimes happy marriage of technology)

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 20:23:40 »
Wasn't there an original 'flat' glass euro headlight that had halogen bulbs??  I know that there was both a rounded and a flatter glass euro headlight.....

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)