Author Topic: Instrument Bezel Removal  (Read 12595 times)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Instrument Bezel Removal
« on: April 14, 2003, 11:34:46 »
The small silver disk fell off the center of the tachometer pointer in the '71 280SL.

The tach is out of the car. Seems that the chrome bezel has to come off so I can glue the disk back on.

Someone told me that the bezel can be pried off then re-installed but the bezel has a very tight fit.

Anyone suggest how a DIY'er with limited home handtools can get the bezel off?

Thanks,
Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Instrument Bezel Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 13:18:04 »
I did this myself, in order to clean the glass of the tach on the inside (was very foggy). I just used a small screwdriver and pried open the back of the chrome ring along a sufficient "stretch" (not all the way) in order to be able to take the ring off. When done, you can put the ring back on by crimping it with pliers (use a cloth so as to not damage the chrome ring).
Of course, purists will cringe at this method - professional shops (like Palo Alto Speedometer and there are others of course) have new rings and the proper tool to crimp the ring back on. Nevertheless, when you are careful, the procedure leaves no marks.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 20:50:56 »
Hello Richard,
Be sure not to handle the aluminum disk with your bare fingers the bare aluminum disc may oxidize and discolor after a while(found out the hard way). Try forming some hard plastic with a file to make a bezel removal tool.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Bill Rader

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 21:20:45 »
Hi Richard
I had the same problem with the center piece falling off.
After reading about prying off the bezel (thanks Cees)I tried it and it worked really well.I was worried about messing up the bezel but I figured if it looked too bad I could always send it out to have it fixed right.
What will most likely thing to happen is you will clean the glass put it back in and then notice it looks like new but the others don't.So be ready to do them all!
Also don't do like me and try to force the bezel on the center cluster without making sure the reostat knob is seated properly.The hole in the glass is a weak spot and will snap the glass in two.Bummer!
I also put one small drop of light weight oil on the tach where the cable mounts to it.This seems to have fixed my screaming tach problem,at least for now.
I have to admit cleaning the glass on my gauges was the single best thing I have done so far to enhance the appearance of my dashboard. Good luck!
Bill Rader

Ben

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 02:37:17 »
Sorry to ask an obvious question but do you need to have the units removed from the dash in order to remove the ring and the glass or can it be done in place ?

Removed I guess !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 05:32:36 »
Yes Ben, I don't see any way it can be done with the unit in place. Maybe it could be done with the unit pulled out only part-way, but probably not. With the speedo and the tach, this should not be a problem - with the central instrument cluster however, I understand that it is a bit of a project to get it out. Mine has a foggy glass, but I tolerate it because I don't dare trying to remove it - just the word "capillary tube" is enough to make me run for cover ;-)

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 07:03:02 »
I hear what you are saying Cees, and besides I'd hate to scratch that lovely painted dash !
My instruments are clear and clean and all work fine. I was just wondering thats all !  :)

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

graphic66

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 09:46:29 »
Its really not that hard to take out the instruments and after you do it a few times it gets rather easy. Start with the tach, this requires some medical attention for those with large hands, then the center cluster, after the center cluster pulls out a bit you can take off the oil pressure line, it is easier if you first take the line off on the engine side of the firewall and take the temp. gauge sensor out of the engine block then the gauge will come out far enough to unhook everything. You also must unplug the electrical connector under the dash to the center gauge. I left the water temp line hooked to the gauge and pulled it thru the firewall with the gauge. The speedo is pretty straightforward. The dash lights pull out of the gauges as units. When reinstalling put new bulbs in and test them [ they must be grounded to work ] dont forget the ground wires when putting things back. Most of all do not start the car with the oil pressure line unhooked and dont forget to hook is back up on reassembly this could get real messy real quick. And dont worry to much that everything is perfect the first time because you will probably have it apart again for some reason. Also you may want to put new gaskets on the instruments between the dash and the gauge, these are only $15.00 each, and whats another fifty bucks

Longtooth

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 01:59:30 »
Just a suggestion about removing the center cluster of the instrument panel --- pull battery terminals off BEFORE you unscrew the oil pressure line.  This will insure you don't absent mindedly start turning over the engine before you 'remember' you forgot to screw it back on... or create a mess.  

To test the lights before everything's buttoned back up, partly install the instruments in the panel holes, hooked up and grounded though (or the instrument lights won't work), put the battery terminals back on and turn on the lights....don't start the engine!  If the lights work, then pull them back out install the tack, then the center cluster WITH the oil pressure line this time, finally the Speedo.  I always start the engine AFTER I attach the oil pressure line, but before pushing the center cluster all the way back into it's hole to make sure there's no oil leakage!  My biggest fear is that I'll cross thread the oil line attachment and find out a few days later with oil dripping on my pants driving down the road.

BTW, I have BIG hands AND an A/C.... soooooo... not only do I skin up my hands installing the tach I have to pull the AC unit down to pull the radio panel out (and radio of course) to get access to the Speedo and Center Cluster to unhook them... I can almost do this in my sleep now I've done it so many times, but it's a real chore with having to drop the AC unit.... no fun at all.  The instruments are a breeze (except for my skinned knuckles with my big hands), compared to dropping the AC unit down (actually, it's getting the AC unit back up and attached again that's the time & effort consumer).

Next time I do it (winter) I'm doing the bezel cleaning thing, AND removing & rechrome or replace windshield chrome (access to the 4 nuts holding it down (2 for the left side, 2 for the right) are from under the dash .... so instruments and glovebox out.... and while they're out I'll pull the heating/ventilator disks asm to buff / polish (the tops / bottoms of the plastic levers... especially my 'clear' one), and replace the illumination bulbs in that asm (nothing wrong with the current ones, but they're the originals still and I'm sure one or more will go out right after I have everything.

Of course the real reason for all the above is I need to replace my windshield glass & rubber molding --- orig. glass is visibly fine pitted and difficult see thru when sun's low in the sky ---- and either replace or rechrome the garnish molding... and have the upper body panel (at the bottom of the windshield exterior) properly painted... the masking job on the paint job was nearly perfect, but when I replace the rubber there'll be a tiny paint uplifted (rough) edge at the new rubber edge... and while the window's out I might as well take care of that before I start kicking myself for not doing it when it was easy to have done.

BTW, the guy I use for paint now is a blending pro... unbelievable!  He was recommended to me by a frame-up MB restorer in the area.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
95 SL500

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 07:16:19 »
When I started this topic in April, I was a know-nothing...now I'm a smarter know-nothing because since then I've been there and done that...

I was surpised to read in Longtooth's post here that he had to drop the AC to access the instruments. His is a 250SL and mine a 280 SL but I don't think that should make any difference.

I was able to access the instruments without touching the AC. Maybe it was beginner's luck but I put my head on the brake pedal then reached up behind the dash to loosen the tach bracket. Once the tach was out, I could reach into the tach hole to get at the center cluster and the speedo. I didn't remove the center cluster, just loosened it and pushed it forward since my problem was with the speedo.

But unless I missed something here, maybe the AC does not have to be touched to access the instruments.

The photo shows the instruments out with the AC still in place. (The radio and glove box are also out but that was to get at the heater levers not the instruments.)

Download Attachment: dashapart.jpg
21.84 KB
Richard M
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 14:05:03 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).