Author Topic: Rear wheel alignment - leaning in at top >  (Read 18983 times)

w113dude

Re: Rear wheel alignment - leaning in at top >
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:11 »
Fritz,

Did you check the loose bracket of the compensating spring? (the one on the right side ) are the holes oversize or oval shape? this could also play a roll. That is why the rebuild kit includes that bracket.

I don't know if anybody has tried this, instead of rubber spacers use large metal or maybe PVC washers behind the rubber donuts, this way you can have a better idea of the thickness buildup.

If you can't find the metal washer that big use hole saw cutters to make them out of mild steel or flat PVC sheet.

FRITZ68

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 13:14:00 »
Thanks for the quick reply w113dude. 

I just talked to our mechanic at work and he is making a metal part to decrease the existing 9-3/8" clearance by 5/8".  This part is made so that the compensating spring cannot fly off, as it goes inside the spring and over the collar of the bracket on right hand side (hard to describe, but will be secure).  I asked him to take some pictures and if they come out, will post them, along with the results after installation. So the overall length of our spring will be increased by that amount.  This may be too much or not enough, but is a starting point.  If too much, we can remove the spring inserts in the rear coils.  If still too much, will have to make another part at lesser thickness than the 5/8"  If not enough, will have to purchase and install new rear coil springs, as I do not feel that it is practical to alter the push of the compensating sprng any more than a total of 5/8" ?????

Does anyone have a good part number for the rear coil springs for a 1968 280SL, as well as specs?   I am thinking there may be another source at a friendlier price than $259 each!

Thanks,  Fritz

FRITZ68

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 00:41:54 »
The spring for 80 Euro is the compression spring, which we do not feel is needed.  I am looking for the best price on the rear springs for my wife's 1968 280SL, as we have determined that these are necessary.  We added a 5/8" thick shim on the compression spring, and it helped the camber somewhat, but the axle rear springs are still very weak and a new set is needed.  While changing the rear springs, assume that the bushings should also be changed (the rubber part at bottom under the spring) and maybe one at the top if any.

Does anyone know a good source for the above?

Thank you very much,

Fritz

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:09 »
Look again at the SLS web site - their price for a rear spring is Euro 68.60 (incl. VAT): http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/en/230-280SL-W113/35-Rear-Suspension/35-a-Rear-Suspension/19/
BUT, it is only 15.8mm whereas the OEM is 16.3mm. Here is more info on spring specifications and where to buy:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17997.0
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=14246.0

Try John Olson or the company mentioned in Ray's post.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

FRITZ68

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:30 »
Compensating Spring Progress:

Here are some pictures of our "5/8" shim" to the compensating spring.  The bolts to the bracket were nice and tight, and the spring itself looked good.  This change pulled in the top of the rear wheels about 50% of the way, but my feeling now is that we need a new set of rear axle springs to finish the job.  We added some screw-in sping tighteners, but only as a temporary fix.

The one picture shows the metal bands that we installed on the spring after it was compressed (we used 4 bands after compressing the spring in a fixture on our work bench with vise). Once the spring was held in place by the bracket, the bands were cut off and everything is nice and tight.  We also noticed that the strut to hold the rear axle from shifting back and forth was disconnected (or broken).  I didn't take pictures of this strut, but we have it nicely attached now.

Still looking for a set of new rear axle springs.  Went to the SLS site and selected a pair, but the checkout feature isn't working as yet, so will try again tomorrow.  I have never ordered from them previously, so it might be a challenge to get the order in. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive shipment from SLS and are there any import duties?

Fritz
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:57:03 by FRITZ68 »

FRITZ68

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 03:47:52 »
 We finally got the rear wheels to sit upright (they are no longer leaning in at the top).  We did the following: Added new rear coil springs from SLS, new inside the trunk rubber block from Miller's and made the 5/8" spacer for the compensating spring.  Thanks for all of the help.  We now know how to handle spring removal - the compensating spring required metal banding after compressing with a tool similar to that shown.  The rear coil springs were quite easy to remove and replace.

Fritz

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 14:15:06 »
Fritz,

Having followed your ordeal, I am sure there is no one more pleased with getting the problem fixed than you! Well...maybe your mechanic and your wife! We certainly learned a great deal. Sorry you had the problem but, glad you got it fixed.

Best,
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet