Author Topic: Suspension Upgrade  (Read 3566 times)

Tammostubbe

Suspension Upgrade
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:12:12 »
The topic of suspension upgrades has been discussed on this forum in the past, but the most recent posts are 5-6 years old.  Are Olson springs still considred the best pick, or have other alternatives emerged in the past few years ?

Tammo
1969 280 SL
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 14:39:04 by Peter van Es »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Suspension Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 22:14:17 »
Mechatronic in Germany also sell upgraded springs - I've been tempted to get a set but, then again, am not that dissatisfied with the original setup. There could be other vendors these days, but that's at least one. I've not seen discussions about John Olson's for a while.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Suspension Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 13:22:02 »
As far as I know, John Olson is still around.  I dealt with him last year.  He seems to be a one-man band so rapid response is sometimes difficult for him.  He does know spirngs, however. 

I have experimented with the springs, bushings, and shocks.  (It's a hobby.)  Anytime you mess with the springs, ride height is going to be an issue.  Getting the front and back the way you want it is delicate.  The easiest changes are the shocks.  I like the Koni Classic adjustable shocks.  They let you experiment and change your mind.  Depending on condition you may want to replace all the rubber bushings.  Urethane adds significant stiffness.  Springs are the most difficult to get right.  That's where John comes in.  He has one solution for progressive and one for sport.  If you want to be adventurous, Coil Spring Specialties (www.coilsprings.com) will work with you to make anything you want.  Just be prepared to install and re-install multiple times.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe