Author Topic: Threaded stud on taillight bezel  (Read 4659 times)

280sl1968

Threaded stud on taillight bezel
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:39:27 »
I've found that my chrome taillight surrounds is missing one of these. Can they be obtained separately and are they threaded both ends (ie. do they just screw into the frame?)

The light assembly is the '68 and earlier type.

Thanks

David

w113dude

Re: Threaded stud on taillight bezel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 13:58:45 »
find a long screw from your local hardware store with the same thread and cut the tip off with a hacksaw.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 18:07:36 »
According to the measurements I made when I put mine in the batch to be CAD plated, there are six that are M5 x 0.8 mm thread x 64 mm long and two that are M5 x 0.8 mm thread x 54 mm long.  The slightly shorter ones are located at the outside lower corners of the housings.

M5 x 0.8 mm thread is a normal metric thread, but 64 mm and even 54 mm long screws of that small size might be hard to find.  The studs are a Part In Assembly of the tail lamp frame so they are not even listed in the EPC.  Finding screws and cutting off the head is probably the best idea.  If that doesn`t work, try searching for a 5 mm threaded rod and cut to length.  Good Luck

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 19:48:23 »
Here is where I would go. I buy a lot of stuff for my car there. They take credit cards also.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=mypuo4

Go to metric and medium strength 8.8. These aren't cad plated but zinc is a good substitue.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

280sl1968

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 23:23:46 »
I have ordered a length of M5 rod to cut down to size. Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks everyone.

David

280sl1968

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 17:13:56 »
Just to close this one off, the suggestion of cutting down M5 threaded rod to size was a good one.

The only problem was that (on mine anyway) where the existing studs go into the frame, they are threadless/smooth, whereas I thought I could simply screw in the new piece of rod, there is no corresponding thread in the frame. They must have been brazed in somehow originally.

Anyway, it was a snug fit, and a little bit of metal epoxy putty did the trick and has held the new stud firmly in place.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.

David

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 19:57:15 »
The threads were probably stripped in the frame I would imagine. Threads in pot metal aren't strong and are very brittle. If the studs are overtightened initially or corroded when removed, the threads will dissapear in a flash. I am not sure pot metal can tolerate the temperature of brazing, maybe soldering. But you had a good solution to the problem and should last.

I just glued my all red lenses to the newly chromed frames and am going to install new studs. Because you cut the studs to the correct length, you need to make sure you clean the cut end with a die or you can ruin the threads in the frame or the attaching nut. Depending on how tight the stud is in the frame, I might use a very mild Loctite thread locker.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6