Author Topic: Back Seat Configurations?  (Read 4201 times)

250SLFranco

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, OR, Portland
Back Seat Configurations?
« on: May 16, 2013, 19:02:42 »
I own a 1967 250SL importated from Germany in 1967 and I have no back seat.  I recently met another 250SL owner and he had a jump seat for the back seat.  How many configurations for back seats were made and could my back seat be modified to have a jump seat?
Thanks For The Help.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Back Seat Configurations?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 19:45:41 »
Franco,

I think there were three configurations.

Most common is just a shelf area; this is in standard cars with the soft top.
Then there is a "kinder seat" option, which is a sideways seat (back on the right side of the space) which is sometimes fitted to this standard area.
Finally there is the California Coupe; w/o a soft top compartment, this space is a bit larger.  I've seen upholstered bench seat of sorts (not a whole lot of leg room even for a child) in that space

Any other, I'm not sure about...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

250SLFranco

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 20:26:26 »
Thanks mdsalemi!

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 15:35:59 »
Foranco,
I have a Euro spec with Kinder Seat (you refer to it as jump seat).  Yes you can fir this seat to your 250SL.  Problem would be to find one.  The right half of rear deck comes out, and seat fits in it's place.  The left half of deck (behind the drivers seat) comes out to evpost the leg room floor.  There is a small wooden piece that fits on floor to make it flat for feet.  Then you must carpet this area.
Bob 
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 19:46:10 »
The kinder seats are quite often on eBay but usually rediculously expensive.  In fact, there are three right now on eBay.
If I needed one (Mine came with one), I would take the multiple photos on eBay with the insides exposed due to decomposition and make my own by asking someone like me to measure the two pieces of plywood that are used as bases for the seat and back.  You can buy hardware to attach it to the car from Authentic Classics.  I suspect you could make a set (seat and back) for a hundred dollars or two worth of material, not counting the leather required to upholster it.  You would also need carpet for the footwell on the other side.

There`s also a jumpseat set on eBay (It comes up if you search kinder seat).  It`s only about $700 but is tan leather and depending on your color would need to be completely reupholstered.

Anything is possible with lots of money or a little money and lots of talent and skill.  Good Luck.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)