Author Topic: A New Soft Top and Grown Man Cries (or a tough lesson to be learnt)  (Read 7990 times)

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, Victoria, Blackburn North
A week or so ago I had a new soft fitted to my 230SL.  Absolutely beautiful, no creases or ripples - just a very elegant soft top.  I drove the car home from the trimmers with the soft top up even though it was perfect top down weather.  A few days later I drove up to the top of the Blacks Spur (Victoria Australia) which is a magnificent drive through tall and straight rainforest trees that seem to reach for the sky - top down of course!  When I returned home and put the top up I noticed two small perforations in the driver's side "rear quarter" of the soft top!  As you can imagine it's about this time that I began to cry! I rang the trimmer (a really great guy) and a couple of days later dropped in to see him and talk through what had happened.  The top had been pinched by the spring loaded catch devices that holds the rear/lowest frame of the top up and out of the way whilst the rear deck is being opened when you stow the top away.  In order for the rear deck to clear the lowest frame member I pushed it (gently) towards the front of the car and this extra "force" is what did the damage.  Soft top has now been expertly patched (but it's not the same) and the spring loaded devices removed - but I'm still a very taunted soul for allowing this to happen.  I hope others can learn from my mistake.  It also makes me wonder what other disaster have occured to our pride and joy after spending money and often a lot of time only to have one moment or careless action scar what's been achieved.

cheers

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: A New Soft Top and Grown Man Cries (or a tough lesson to be learnt)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:52 »
Gary,

Feel your pain ... I have new soft top installed by the previous owner and it is quite nice ... except for one spot on the left  back side about 1cm diameter that looks like it must have been pinched. I can't really figure out how. 

I don't know if you took any photos of the parts that were causing the pinch ... as good as your description is ... a photo would really help.

Best
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

drmb

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • New Zealand, Waikato, Te Awamutu
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:20:36 »
230sl's have a wire on each side that pivots from the main bow and slides into the rear bow to stop the material from jamming in those locks,they are quite often damaged and get discarded and people dont realise what they were there for until a rip appears.
Mercedes Restorer.
1969 280sl 050 whte Blue interior
1996 E320 Cabrio
1963 220se 111-023 cabrio, red,black interior.
1967 Morris Cooper
Lloydmarx@xtra.co.nz

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:23 »
I am planning on replacing my soft top this year some time so it is a good lesson learnt.

I dont use the Hard top any more and it is stored. My one moment of careless action won't happen again if I do not suspend it above the car again :o :'( :'(
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 22:39:13 »

http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/en/230-280SL-W113/78-Softtop-Hardtop/77-Softtop-230SL-250SL-280SL/

Item no. 26

A113 774 03 65 Stoffabweiser (fabric deflector wire, lleft side).

Get 2 of them from Mercedes (current price Germany: € 9.70 without VAT) and bend one into the right side version; it's easy.

Not to prevent your softtop from damage but just to keep your car complete and original. ;)

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:03:40 »
It's not your fault.   It's basically a design flaw that all of us have to deal with. I have two "rub spots" on my canvas and the edges also curl. Most of us have first hand  knowledge about various soft top problems.  The whole soft top compartment was just too small to accomodate everything. I have learned to accept the situation.
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:58:42 »
Guys, thanks for the informative and supportive replies.  My hood definitely doesn’t have the wires to prevent the fabric jamming.  I’ll endeavour to source these and install asap.  The part that caused the pinch (and the perforation) is part No 25 – Top Catch shown in the diagram at http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/en/230-280SL-W113/78-Softtop-Hardtop/77-Softtop-230SL-250SL-280SL/
The (very quick) advice and support I’ve received shows how informative and valuable this forum is – thanks to everyone!  I’ve had the car two years and consider myself just a beginner!

cheers

ptooner

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:28:07 »
In your link item 26 is the part that prevents the pinch.  I replaced both of mine when I replaced the top a couple of years ago because of the pinches caused in the old one in the same manner as yours.

Gerry

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 18:21:08 »
.... and the spring loaded devices removed - .....
You might consider putting them back in since they do have a function, that is to lock the rear portion in place before you put the top into the well.
These photos might help you attaching number 26 "fabric deflector" to the frame as Achim described it.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 20:07:20 »
It may be a little late for you Gary but I recommend everyone look in the Tech manual under Tops/ Soft-top... There is an explanation and visual of plastic "pagoda flaps" that can save the soft-top from this damage. It is definitely a problem area for a lot of Pagodas.
James
63 230SL

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:59:32 »
Thanks Alfred, Achim, James, Gerry, Micahel, DRMB and others,

Your advice is excellent as I’ve found that raising the soft top without the spring loaded locks is difficult as the rear portion of the soft top remains in the soft top well and is difficult to lift manually – I run the risk of establishing a good relationship with a chiropractor if I continue much longer.

I’ve now received the wire deflectors courtesy of UPS and have commenced installing them.  Once they have been installed I’ll reinstall the spring loaded locks.  Alfred, your photos are very helpful, thank you, (printed out on glorious glossy paper and taken out to the SL as a guide for me to follow) however, I’m having difficulty following where the “tail” of the defector wires should sit.  I was hoping that you or somebody else might have a photo taken from inside the car to guide me.
Many thanks for all the help.

Gary  (PS I love this forum.)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 18:22:08 »
Gary,
I'll try to shoot a few more for you later today.
Alfred

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 19:50:05 »
please advise if the issue described here is 230SL specific as some posts make me believe or tis is common to all models and the fix is advisable in all cases?
Thanks.
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:12 »
Thanks Alfred, I'd really appreciate it.

Gary

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:38 »
Gary,
here are three more.
The barrel lock is bolted onto the frame part as you can see in the first two photos.
The fabric protector wire on one side (closer to the B-pillar) is pinched behind a screw that is peened and will require some work to breake loose. The other end disappears under a plate and unfortunately I do not remember how it is fixed. I am also not sure how to get the plate loose - perhaps by removing the two Phillips screws next to the barrel lock??
You might send an email to Gernold at SL_Tech and ask him, I am sure he'll know.
Hope this helps a bit - good luck!
Alfred

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 07:29:40 »
Hi Alfred, that's fantastic! Thank you for your prompt reply and your efforts with digital camera and red arrows.  I really appreciate it.  If only I knew this prior to having my new soft top fitted!  I'll fit the wires and re-fit barrel locks next weekend.  I knew that MB would have had a proper system!  Once agian thanks to everyone for their input.  I'll let you know how it goes in a weeks time.   :)

Gary

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
Soft top fabric protector wires installed on the weekend and barrel lock re-installed as well.  All working beautifully.

Thanks to everyone and particularly Afred.

Cheers

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Hi Gary,
I am glad I could help.  Now show us a photo of the top, please.  ;)
Alfred