Author Topic: topics linked in Technical Manual?  (Read 6308 times)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
topics linked in Technical Manual?
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:22:19 »
Hi everyone,
I'm sure I've read less than 10% of the info in the whole technical manual, but it seems that it would be useful if references to appropriate topics of the Forums were included in-line with the TM text. Is there a reason why this isn't or shouldn't or can't be done? If it's okay, I'll contribute to this work.

Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: topics linked in Technical Manual?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:00 »
Although it's useful to include links to forum topics in the Technical Manual, and you can do so, we originally intended for the definitive summary of a forum topic to be included in the Technical Manual, cleaned up and reformatted.

This way a lot of the "noise" and opinion, pro and con, can be removed and a final definitive description, that is concise, can be added.  A good example is the tuning tour being added by Twistedtree. People are making suggestions in the forum thread and Twistedtree is summarizing and standardizing it in the Tech Manual. That's exactly how it was intended to be done, see this explanation.

All full members are free to help out, and no, you can't break anything. If you mess up a page in the Technical Manual, you can always revert to an earlier version.

So have no fear, and help out!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
Re: topics linked in Technical Manual?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 18:05:42 »
Hi Peter,
thanks for your thoughtful reply.
"We originally intended for the definitive summary of a forum topic to be included in the Technical Manual, cleaned up and reformatted."
I agree that would be the best way to do it. The TM is very helpful and many sections are truly excellent. The expertise and thought that are required to make an improvement to the TM are probably significantly greater than what it takes to dash off a reply or a comment or even a new thread in the Forums. For myself I feel like I'm not knowledgeable enough to select and to edit the posts into cleaned up contributions for the TM. But I am comfortable making connections between TM entries and Forums threads. One way or another, I'll make an effort and I hope to help make the TM better over time.

Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel