Author Topic: What have you done to your Pagoda today?  (Read 405379 times)

Mechudo62

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico City
Re: What have you done to your Pagoda today?
« Reply #675 on: April 02, 2017, 02:53:18 »
Truly a magnificent Pagoda. The WW tires suit it perfectly. Congratulations!
Greetings from sunny Mexico!
Fernando Mangino

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #676 on: April 02, 2017, 05:49:03 »
The season is clearly open!
In mine there will be no visible changes, as all effort would go under-hood: new Bilstein shocks and some gaskets.
Ah, yes, the paint will be polished, so some shine would spark out :)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #677 on: April 02, 2017, 09:27:05 »
Keeping the caps dark, but am fitting 4 tyre rims! They will be enough to lift it.
JOH.
JOH

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #678 on: April 05, 2017, 22:50:26 »
Having finished the propeller shaft alignment, installation of the flex joint, rear transmission support bracket, transmission mount, transmission support plate and tightening up everything yesterday, I tackled the alignment of the rear axle.  It was already close, since I did a quick and dirty measurement a few months ago when I installed it.

I don't have a "check gauge" because if I had made one of copper tubing, it probably would have been less accurate than how I finally did it.  I'm really terrible at soldering.

My wife sews quite often and has all the makings of the perfect system, in my opinion.  I used some of her needles, some thread and a magnetic business card from Rock Auto.  I cut the card into some small circles, punched a hole in the centers with the needles and slotted the edge with scissors to capture the end of the thread after passing it through the hole.  I made a slip knot after passing the other end through the needle so I could adjust the length of the thread easily.  The photos show the details.

I taped two packing paper sheets together and taped them to my 4-post hoist "jack bridge".  The magnetic card on one end of each thread was stuck to the end of the stud at the front mounting of the torque arm.  The third one was stuck to the end of the rear axle suspension support arm pivot pin.

After adjusting the length of the threads to have the needles almost touch the paper packing sheets taped to the hoist bridge, I let the needles stabilize and stop swinging.

I then marked the three "needle" plumb bob end points on the sheet and used them as the basis for the "T" of the "check gauge" drawing on the sheets.  Between the torque arm studs of my car, the measured distance was 875 mm instead of the 877 mm of the check gauge drawing.  I decided that having the axle accurately centered on my car rather than to perfectly match a "supposed to be" check gauge design was the most important.  I found the third "supposed to be" point (for the axle support pin end) by starting my "T's" vertical line at 459 mm from the driver's end of the "T" cross-bar line instead of 460 mm.  That made the passenger side of the "T" cross-bar line 416 mm instead of 417 mm.  I drew the vertical line of the "T" and it passed 5 mm from the axle support pin end plumb bob (needle) on the passenger side.  Serendipitously, the 480 mm dimension of the check gauge "T" drawing turned out to be 482 mm on my car, so I ignored it.

So I got my wrenches and started working to eliminate that 5 mm error in the location of my axle.  After about 15 minutes of working on the screw slot end of the cross strut, the plumb bob had not moved.  So I said to myself, "Myself, what's 5 mm among friends?  There must be something else not right."  So I tightened the lock nuts and started gathering up my tools.  Then, as I started to un-tape the paper sheets with the plumb bob marks, I noticed that the needles at the torque arm ends had moved 5 mm in the direction opposite of what I was trying to get the axle support pin to move.

As my mother would say, "Lo, and behold", I had not been screwing the axle toward the passenger side of the car.  The plumb bob was hanging from the axle support pin which was fixed to the hoist and the hoist bridge and the paper "T" design by the tires sitting on the hoist ramps.  It would never move, no matter how much I cranked the cross strut.

Instead of cranking the axle toward the passenger side of the car, I had been cranking the "car" toward the driver's side, so the torque arm ends, attached to the body, were moving to correct the error relative to the axle support pin end.  The three plumb bobs, relative to their target positions were all exactly 5 mm away in the same direction, so my cranking fixed the problem.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally.

If I had been using a check gauge, it would have been measuring relative positions of the three points.  My plumb bob method works equally well, but one must remember that when you crank the cross strut, it's not the axle that moves, but the body end moves as you draw the body toward the axle support pin.  I was blinded by perception.  I was thinking of the axle relative to the car, when I should have been thinking of the car relative to the axle.

It's perfect now and I, once again, have learned a lot.  On to the next project on the list.

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 23:53:05 by Tomnistuff »
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #679 on: June 15, 2017, 18:46:06 »
Today checked why the fuel pump didn't whine the way it did for the past 18 years since it was put in new, one month after I bought the car. Tried it on the bench, nothing. Opened up the bottom, and found one of the 20 or so vanes broken off and causing the pump to be blocked. Removed that one vane, put it all back together and all seems well again, car runs great.
In order to get the pump off I had to drain the fuel tank, which resulted in some very fine sediment to come out. Not much, but still. Also in the bottom of the pump there was some fine sediment - which I suppose could have caused that one vane to get stuck and break off. I ordered a new fuel pump (ouch! the cheapest I found was €520 on an exchange basis). I also put in a new filter down in the fuel tank that had been sitting on my shelf waiting for me to drain the tank.
Something else I found out: for as long as I have owned the car (18 years), I would fill it up when the fuel gauge showed 'empty' however I could never get more than 60 liters in, although the tank is supposed to be 82 liters. Turns out that the fuel gauge shows 'empty' when there are still 20 liters left. Another job to do. Waiting for the new fuel pump, in the meantime the '20 less one vane' pump seems to work fine.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #680 on: June 22, 2017, 05:26:20 »
Mother in law moved house so I went yesterday to help her unpack
Forecast was for hottest June day for 40 years ( a humid 34 degrees C) 
Do I take the SLK for a blast and have open top AND aircon? Or do I take the daily for really good aircon and Sat nav to the new house

Or do I sweat my buns off driving the snot off the Pagoda? 8)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #681 on: June 22, 2017, 11:16:41 »
Hello Cees,

I take it it was the Main Fuel Pump near the tank, did you take photos? I found the photo below in our forum, if one of those vanes broke off I gong think pump efficiency will be affected much since engineers always build into the design a safety margin (to look after wear and tear excess clearances etc.). Also the impeller is so small I don't think vibration due to unbalance will be a problem. I would properly have removed one vane 180 degree opposite the broken off vane to make sure vibration would be an issue.

Did you drive the car and does the pump run rough? If so a new pump might be in order. Perhaps others might comment what they think. €520- that is quite a chunk, would be nice if you can find a replacement impeller.

Best of luck,

Dieter
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:04:44 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

peterm

« Reply #682 on: June 22, 2017, 19:00:16 »
his hub caps were creme in the "action" painting shots

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #683 on: June 22, 2017, 21:02:43 »
The pump seized again, after only 25 kms. I haven't taken it apart yet, but the new one arrived and as soon as I get back from Amsterdam, on Monday, I will install it and have a look at the old one. It did sound different from before after I took that one small vane out, like it might have been imbalanced. Or more could be going on inside the pump. Anyways, hope the new one holds up, will report back after some driving.
Update: the new pump sounds the same as the old one before that broke. I've done 160 kms with it and so far, so good. Car runs very nicely once again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:49:23 by Cees Klumper »
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #684 on: July 09, 2017, 19:00:47 »
Today I finished installing the new seat covers on the passenger seat. Was about an 8 hour job, and turned out very well. Had to fabricate a new back plate from cardboard, as the old one had two layers of carpet glued on that weren't coming off. Very satisfying  job, no more rips and tears in the 50-year old original MB Tex vinyl. Next up is the driver's seat, along with the new carpet set. Can't wait to see the full effect.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Howard Long

• Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
« Reply #685 on: July 09, 2017, 19:32:20 »
Dear Cees,

You are a little better of with a fuel gauge that reads empty with 20 remaining liters in the tank than my car which reads 1/4 full when it runs out of gas.  That is one thing that is getting fixed while I have the car apart for restoration.  I have ran out of gas twice over the years because I keep forgetting the problem.

Howard
280SL 4-Speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #686 on: July 10, 2017, 05:53:41 »
Thanks Howard, yes, I agree. The other quirk my gas gauge has, is that for the first 120 or so kms, the needle stays pegged at 'full'. So I am thinking it definitely needs to be calibrated if that's possible some way.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #687 on: July 10, 2017, 07:48:07 »
Thanks Howard, yes, I agree. The other quirk my gas gauge has, is that for the first 120 or so kms, the needle stays pegged at 'full'. So I am thinking it definitely needs to be calibrated if that's possible some way.

This is quite normal behaviour. when they get to 1/2, the reading is quite accurate.
68 280SL

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #688 on: August 30, 2017, 23:44:42 »
..finally bit the bullet and bought a correct gas cap (000 471 2030); wife's gonna kill me..
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 00:07:37 by Charles 230SL »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #689 on: August 31, 2017, 00:11:20 »
Charles,

Just don't tell her and live on to enjoy your Pagoda :)

Dieter

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #690 on: January 12, 2018, 22:06:44 »
Well, I decided to start 2018 off with a wash and carnuba wax. To finish it off I finally stuck my new SL Group decal on the windshield...goes well with my blue trim.

Then.... went for a nice drive. Unfortunately, this has led to a new issue. I noticed some piddle in the driveway -- pretty gnarly fuel leak when fuel is pump on... It looks to be a small braided hose of about 5 inches somewhat in front of the pump itself.
James
63 230SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #691 on: February 28, 2018, 01:28:43 »
Put the rear suspension back in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:36:46 by Shvegel »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #692 on: March 08, 2018, 06:33:53 »
Fuel tank and new fuel pump back in. Luckily I bought the pump 10 years ago when I started the restoration.  I thought it was expensive then.

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #693 on: March 08, 2018, 18:37:26 »
WOW, looks great.
Well done.
JOH

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #694 on: March 08, 2018, 23:47:56 »
beautiful!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #695 on: March 09, 2018, 00:47:56 »
Nice job! When can you come to visit me and help work on my car ? :)

Dieter

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #696 on: March 09, 2018, 08:41:38 »
Dieter,
Drop by anytime.  Of course you will have to negotiate for space in the garage with my wife.  ever since I remodeled it and installed heat she seems to think she is entitled to a parking spot inside in the winter. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:50:54 by Shvegel »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #697 on: April 09, 2018, 15:19:31 »
Today I torqued the rear suspension and finished the paint markings (dotology) for the rear half of the car.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 15:24:17 by Shvegel »

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #698 on: April 09, 2018, 15:29:41 »
Beautiful job, very nice Shvegel
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #699 on: April 09, 2018, 18:50:01 »
Looks brand spanking new! Well Done !!!

Dieter