Author Topic: Inside firewall pads - who needs them?  (Read 36568 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Inside firewall pads - an update
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:11 »
Unfortunately, all of you waiting for the pads I must ask you to have patience for a little longer.
Upon the advice of the die cutter and to save on costs we decided to make a large die for the pad in automatic cars and then use a much smaller die to cut an additional opening in the already cut automatic pads for the pad in manual cars.  That meant that I had to decide how many automatic pads to convert into manual pads. Well I did not hit the mark.  >:(
I read somewhere that in the USA the ratio of automatic/manual cars sold was about 3/1.  I knew from the preliminary inquiries that there were more manual car owners wanting them than the ratio suggested and I picked a 1-to-1 ratio. Turns out the actual orders run almost 2 manual-to-1 automatic!
That by itself is an interesting situation - and I wonder why? Anybody have a suggestion or explanation?
Anyway,  now we have to cut more manual pads and since this is only a very small order for the shop we need to wait a little longer in the queue.
---
Upper left corner pad.
Tom,
I was able to find enough material (that we wanted to use to cut out the rectangles to hold down the cable in the trunk) to provide about 7 strips for those who want to purchase additional material for that purpose.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:12:06 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: Inside firewall pads - who needs them?
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 03:47:53 »
OK, Alfred.  Let me be the first (at least publicly on this thread) to order a strip for the Upper Left Corner Pad.  It should go well with the Option 1 (four pads) that I have already ordered.
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)