Author Topic: Vinnie Barbarino Travolta's pagoda stolen ...  (Read 20447 times)

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
Re: Vinnie Barbarino Travolta's pagoda stolen ...
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 20:32:48 »
Yesterday Der Spiegel reported that the culprits were ordered to pay restitution of $50,000.  Guess the $15K was for pain and suffering!  That certainly wouldn't do it for me...
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 15:32:27 »
I was in Greece last week and read a local article stating the value at $100k.  It also stated the color made it extra valuable!!  I happen to like Tobacco Brown but was always under the impression that brown was on the lower end of popularity....especially for a sports car.

Any thoughts?
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 18:13:09 »
I was in Greece last week and read a local article stating the value at $100k.  It also stated the color made it extra valuable!!  I happen to like Tobacco Brown but was always under the impression that brown was on the lower end of popularity....especially for a sports car.

Any thoughts?

Ok - Greece is in trouble big time.
I personally am not very fond of brown colors. Although on an older 911 I do like it (I think Steve McQueen's personal 911 in 'Le Mans' was dark brown, and it went well with his tan nappa jacket and copper bracelet).
Actually maybe this is a good topic for a poll: what is the best color on a Pagoda?

I've never had a car stolen, and was never broken into, but I'm prepared in case it happens: 'there are worse things that could happen'.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 18:17:23 »
Greece has been taken over by the troika... effectively the EU has taken control of it's budget

Greece invented democracy, don't ya know!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 23:01:23 »
Interesting about Greece!  I am there every month and rarely get the feeling that the country is in major trouble.  We all (including my Greek friends) know it's on thin ice...but it is not as apparent as the media portrays it.  I used to stay at the King George Palace in downtown Athens.  But since the protests have been so active (and the King George is next to the Parliament), I have stayed outside of Athens...otherwise I could by stranded in my hotel room!!!
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

ctm14

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 02:13:21 »
Wow this thread is all over the place. My comments are below.

* It really scares me that our  cars are so easily stolen. Best thing is to keep the car insight at all times for sure. Just wondering if anyone has deployed any security measures to slow these thieves down?

* I am all for getting John Travolta in our group once he has his pagoda back or a replacement. I like the idea of him flying all of us CA members to PUB. I am a former United Airlines pilot so let me be the first to call shot gun in his 707.

* Now to favorite color for the w113. It sure looks good in many colors and mine happens to be 396 metallic blue which is a great color. I was originally looking for a  904 midnight blue example which I find very elegant. Alfred looking forward to seeing yours in 904.

*. Last but not least Greece, a beautiful place but keep your hands off my US taxes. Time to work folks.

douglas dees

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 23:13:54 »
As a punishment, the courts should order the thieves chopped up and sold as dog food. A fitting punishment.
Doug Dees ;)

bowdie

• Junior Level
  • Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
1967 Medium Blue 250SL
1972 Gemini Blue 911T
1994 Black 993

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 14:37:15 »
Looks like his Pagoda is almost as nice as mine ... same, well almost same colour as mine. I'm surprised that his has a soft top, would have expected his to be the California style with hardtop only.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 14:34:08 »
Nice car.  Probably another Scott Melnick (sp) creation.  Not sure if I like the bundt alloys on it though.  Our cars are skyrocketing in value.  About time.
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Bob G

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 18:38:44 »
It is very sad in  a way if you think about it. Parts have sky rocketed it  for the W113 SL Pagoda.
Well john Travolta can afford another pagoda as nice  or nicer then the one he  had.  not
many of us are in that same league. Beer pockets champion taste. I was talking  with  a friend in
main and he told me that they are reproducing the tar top batters again in Germany. I was also told they leak so
I am happy just to have a AAA battery with a warranty and road side service, bet you Mercedes-Benz
will not honor that in a 50 year old car.
Scott Melnick is he still in Beverly Hills under the Gas Station? He does nice work He has two
Russian guy who know how to use lead and properly sand aluminum doors. But he is a deep pockets restoration
and service shop.
Also noted is the classic center is  hogging all the good parts for their restoration's So buy while you can.
you might come across a part used in john Travolta's  car.
Bob Geco 1968 280SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 23:40:56 »
Joe Alexander, I like the way you think ... we should make it a yearly meet and have him bring along some of the ladies :) the kind of ladies that are into our cars. We all would bring our Pagoda to the party and let John drive them ... just to show our appreciation :) It be a hell of a party weekend party that is :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL