Author Topic: Anti theft devices  (Read 5279 times)

relbhcb

Anti theft devices
« on: July 28, 2013, 18:08:54 »
My 230SL has had an immobiliser fitted by a previous owner, and to be honest I find it a total pain to use & would like to have it removed. I think that it is one of these units.

My 230SL is kept in a locked garage in a low crime rural area of the UK, and is rarely left unattended. I'd like to either fit a self arming "switch" hidden under the dash (one that does not require a fob widget or a key to deactivate the immobiliser), or use a steering wheel "crook lock", or use nothing at all.

The car also has an isolator switch located deep within the footwell - something similar to this. I could perhaps use it on the rare occasions that I feel the need for raised protection, but as it disconnects the battery I have to re-enter the radio security code every time that the red key is removed & so it is not ideal for every day use.
What do others use to secure their SL? Any suggestions?

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: Anti theft devices
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 18:22:40 »
If you connect a small fuse across the isolator then power is there to maintain the radio but the fuse will
blow if the car is attempted to be started.
I use a thatcham one alarm that isolates both coil and starter solenoid and also gives a visual warning by
a flashing LED visible through the map light window.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Bob G

Thief Potection Ha!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 18:39:17 »
The only thief device that works is a 45 caliber gun, sorry guys, if they want your car. Trust  me, I've been through this when I  had my 1986 Toyota 4 by 4 that was a diamond parked at Rancho Park in West Los Angeles.  When I  came out it  was gone. A truck carrier must have taken the car because the Police had no luck finding it. Always park the car if your having coffee on a nice Sunday afternoon. A always keep an eagle eye on your car. A Pagoda SL is worth more in parts  then the whole car and I know most of the guys on this forum have spent a lot of money to get their cars right.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 23:53:52 by 280SL71 »

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 18:52:29 »
What happens when they use the chains and roll your car  in a closed truck? the theory is good for a dumb thief but most of these guy
are very sophisticated and can tell what determents to look for .
Bob Geco

iftykhan

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 20:26:37 »
Anyone considered a tracker type device and what are the pros and cons of this kind of security?

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:48:49 »
What happens when they use the chains and roll your car  in a closed truck? ....
Don't park it where they can drive a truck or flat bed close by!
Those sophisticated thieves you are worried about don't drive by at random, they usually stake out their prey. Also I haven't read any reports about stolen Pagodas in San Diego county for many years.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 14:11:05 »
Mine will never be unattended, except when I go on a longer trip. If I do I stay at B&B's overnight I find tat to be the most secure spots. I've done so in the past 10 years with my other cars and never ever had any issues (US or Canada made no difference).

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 16:15:19 »
I wonder if    Travolta's Pagoda had any devices installed when it was stolen ...
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL