Author Topic: Driving an XK E Type from PUB 2011 to Australia  (Read 79830 times)

Tom Colitt

Re: Driving an XK E Type from PUB 2011 to Australia
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:18 »
Hi Guys

I haven't been here in a while. Garry has kept me so busy :-)
It's been quite some time, since I worked on the electrical portion of this job. I finally figured out the wiper motor, although I had to get a little "German-style" on the Jaguar parts sellers in New Hampshire who had just sold me, basically the wrong wiper motor. So they finally agreed to ask one of their tech guys and it only took a minute to come back to confirm what I had already suspected: There was a left and and a right-hand drive version of the wiper motor. Luckily, the answer was simple: Take out the wiper motor for the fourth time. Open the  the new wiper motor up too, take out the gear from the old motor and swap it over. The gear has a cam on top of it which activates a micro switch inside the motor. That switch turns the motor off in its resting place (just like on a pagoda), which is different for left and right hand versions. Even the tachometer, which was feared not working after sitting around for a few months finally fell into place. After I had exhausted every other possibility, including frying Garry's electronic ignition (:-( oops), I finally had the courage to swap the direction of current going through the tachometer to the exact opposite direction of what it said in the wiring diagram. I think this was Mr. Lucas' last vengeance and after that he asked the tin worm to take over.

Apparently, when Garry went to the bank, he was either very charming or he mortgaged his new house, because he sure didn't want to have me stop working on the Space. Either that, or he figured he was better off having most of the labor intensive work done in a Third World country, so that the labor costs would be reduced. (We thank you here for giving us the work)…

As he already told you, I started having some concerns while installing the retractable seat belts. I had been hearing that the safety inspectors down under were as particular as those in most of Europe. Even though I thought we always knew that there was a small rust spot at the bottom of the sills, I thought it best that I should maybe put a little paint over it before the car arrived in Australia. Little did I think that would result in the car staying with me for another six weeks and with me doing my least favorite type of repair, which is rust repair. Although the damage was fairly moderate, compared to what I've seen in my prior life in Europe, Garry took the "might as well" approach and kept asking me to open the sills a little further, in order to get a good look. Once again, I felt like a forensic scientist or an archaeologist, unearthing hidden treasures and minerals (unfortunately FEO2 is not nearly as valuable as AU, which I didn't find). I DID find the most unusual looking pod inside one of the sills. I swear it looked like an alien skull that had been deposited there for burial or for a Trojan horse attack on planet Earth.

Anyway, I started fabricating pieces of sheet metal to replace the cancerous pieces and before closing the sills back up, I treated them with the wax like rust inhibitor, Waxoyl. The only problem was that when I started welding in the outer sill, the substance became VERY liquid, even gaseous and it would burst out in flames, thereby igniting evermore waterfalls of burning petroleum distillate from the sills. Luckily, I was prepared and had fire extinguishers handy, but I realized this was not a safe way to work. The only thing I could think of to inhibit the fire, was to run some vinyl tubing into the sill, which I duct taped to a bottle of welding gas, consisting of an Argon/CO2 mixture. This actually worked quite well and I could finish the job without further incidents. As is usually the case, there was a little bit more body filler, than one would prefer, at the upper edge of one of the sills. It had led to a horizontal crack just behind the door and since we were applying the "might as well" principle, we decided that all that filler should be removed before painting the lower sills and eventually the whole rear clip (except for the trunk lid) and both doors. The added benefit of that was that the Space is now more or less one shade of blue…
After I got it back from the painters, I had only two more days to finish the Waxoyl inside the doors and sills, glue in the door weather stripping, install the antenna and the door and other interior panels, glue the sill upholstery back on, apply some seam sealer in the rear wheel arches where I found more open "gaps" (luckily no rust), install the left seat belt and seat, clean the car, tighten the steering wheel and install the horn button, figure out why the horns weren't working (one of the reasons was: "that wasn't the horn button" :-) . Luckily, the answer to that problem came to Garry in a dream :-). The, get rid of  a muffler rumble and some other noises and finally put the hard top back on the car and place Garry's Blacklick PUB poster inside the trunk. With a half-hour left to go before the shipper needed the car to entomb it in a container, I was nervous what might go wrong on the drive down there. But all was well. She ran and sounded very well, the blinkers and instruments still worked, fuel was nearly depleted and after driving 1400 miles with the steering wheel of the left, it was now....

Oh, oh. It was STILL on the left hand side.........I was so busy trying to figure out all the other little issues that the main reason for being here somehow got overlooked and I had installed it back on the left side of the car!!..... :-(

(Just kidding Garry. There’s nothing better for the heart, than the occasional elevated heart rate :-)….

I’m going to miss you my small moving space, even though it is nice to have a bigger space back at my garage now. Have a good trip!....

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2012, 10:44:57 »
And so the next phase of driving the Jag from Blacklick Ohio to Hanging Rock Australia begin ;D ;D.
The parting photographs, firstly leaving Toms Yard and the second one at the shippers warehouse with lots of other cars about to be shipped out of the US of A to Oz.

But wait, is that a Pagoda I see in the background :o :o :D  The Small Moving Space started out in Joe A's (JA17) shed with Alfred's and Michaels cars and looks like it is going to be keeping good company on the trip by another Pagoda going down under.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:52:15 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2012, 15:00:06 »
For your sake, Garry--I'm happy that the SMS was not stolen during the 30 seconds it was in front of Tom's place (extremely rough state and even worse neighborhood for classic car thefts, apparently) for the photo op.  Happy to see it at the shippers in one piece...

Remember, to pass the time while you wait that long ocean voyage, you can always sit back and read Pagoda Style... ;)  That would be the book that made it there first...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tom Colitt

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2012, 23:29:13 »
Yes Michael. We know that your book made it there first  ;D ;)

They are too scared of me in this neighborhood to think of touching any of my cars! I had a 96 point 1960 300SL convertible in there for over a year and test drove it from time to time with no trouble. It's the better neighborhoods you have to watch out for. That's where these guys go scouting and picking up Pagodas. That seems to be the most popular target of all the classic cars I know. Kind of the Honda Accord of the classic car world?...

Here are some pictures that show the apparently innocent appearance of some rust bubbles, while I was working on the seat belts.....

Guess which side turned out to be much worse than the other?.....

Tom Colitt

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2012, 23:56:39 »
Answer: The side with only the tiny little pin holes showing on the outside :-)  1st picture....

Also, here are some pictures of the Alien. Folks, this kind of thing only happens in Hollywood :-).... 2nd and 3rd pictures....

There's something about sitting on the center console of a Jaguar that is very appealing to L.A. cats :-)   4th picture.....

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:12 »
I was not going to tell Michael that the book had arrived until I realized that the SMS was not going anywhere for some time.
Then again, it has not taken some years to get from Ohio to LA and I still have some time to get it to oz to be beaten in those stakes

Tom,
You said there was an odd noise coming out from under the car, you sure that puss did not get into the sill?  That cat has good taste.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:33:07 by Garry »
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2012, 05:15:46 »
Well folks,

The Small Moving Space is in a bigger box and afloat on the water and has been so for 8 days.  ETA Melbourne Australia 20th March and then give a week for clearance. I wonder if it is in the same box as the Pagoda that was also part of the consignment for Down Under.

The car is on the move again Yeee haar, looking forward to seeing it again.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Tom Colitt

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:20 »
Hi Garry

I heard from Craig today and he says the car has been shipped for some time now, so could be arriving soon. I can't wait to hear what you think.... I'm curious whether those side marker light ended up somewhere in the recesses of the trunk....

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2012, 00:36:48 »
Word is out that there is a new cat in town.  The Small Moving Space (SMA) has morfed from a US LH Jaguar XKE  to an Aussie RH E Type cat.

The SMS is being unpacked as I write and maybe available to me by the end of week or early next week.  Need to get a 30 day permit to move it to a workshop to get a roadworthy inspection and then put it onto Historic plates and the drive home to the Pagoda Shed.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2012, 14:15:29 »
Good on ya, mate!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Tom Colitt

« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2012, 23:31:13 »
Cool. You'll end up being the Top Cat in your town, maybe even the top dog....That was pretty quick. Will you still make that event you were hoping for?.....

ricrose

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2012, 23:49:04 »
Garry

I've changed my mind about bringing that part over - you can now 'cat' it over next week to collect! Let's have a look  ;) ;)

Richard

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2012, 07:34:55 »
Got a 28 day permit, just paid the customs and shipping costs and awaiting approval to go and pick it up.  Hopefully in the next couple of days.  The rally I was interested is on the weekend after this, will have to see if they will take late entries as I did not enter as I thought it would not get here in time. Was going to use Pagoda of course.
Richard, will try for monday or Tuesday evening if it is off the dock. Will let you know.

Photos of the pair in the shed to follow soon

Garry

Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2012, 12:17:34 »
Congratulations!  Nothing like a rally to shake things up and out a bit!  Good luck...Tom Colitt will be your co-pilot, right??? :D
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:22 »
Well it has finally come the time to go pick the Small Moving Space up. It will be released to me tomorrow morning. 
After a lot of horse trading with Customs who insisted that I pay Sales Tax on everything that I or Tom have put into the car whilst it was in the USA including some shoes I purchased at Maceys!!! that they thought were Jag parts on the Visa statement and the PUB Poster that was in the trunk, we agreed on a figure and I have paid the duties and the SMS is here at last.

Tomorrow some photos of it entering the Pagoda Shed :o :o ;D

Wooohoo, getting toward a year since its purchase in Atlanta Georgia.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:23 »
The Eagle has Landed

Down to the Shipping company this morning with my release note in one hand, jumper leads in the other and the Minister of Finance (Kate) waiting to see if I needed the regular car to jump start the Small Moving Space.

Signed the documents and put on the orange safety vest and walked down to the very last warehouse and there it sat with about 10 other cars waiting their owners. Mine was the only one in RHD thanks to Tom. It was also the smallest space that had been shipped across from USA, the rest were Chevys, Mustangs and Pontiac's.

Checked fuel, oil and water and then turned the key in anticipation but not a sound, not even clicking so pushed the SMS out of the warehouse to where the Minister was waiting and we jump started it and the cat purred.  Now that brought a smile to my face.. With it going and wife Kate to follow, we headed out of the compound and off toward Hanging Rock, about 100 Km outside Melbourne. A good drive to get the cobwebs from nearly 8 months of sitting in Toms workshop and a couple of short test drives in LA.

It ran fine and other than putting a new battery in it, is ready to hit the road this weekend.  Took out the PUB 2011 poster in the trunk to be hung on the shed wall. Nice to have choices to drive.

Now I have one more car space in the shed to fill with the 230SL that is having a heart transplant at the moment, then the day of reckoning occurs when I have to decide on one to go, 280SL 5 speed or the Jag.  ;D ;D ;D That should not be a hard decision, but we will see.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:28 »
Nice  :) :) :)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:52 »
...and what a long journey it has been...finally, congratulations.  Sleep well tonight.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

treedoc

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2012, 22:40:15 »
Garry,

Only decission you should have to make is how big an extension to make to the shed and don't forget to leave room for the Aston M.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 22:57:54 by treedoc »

Tom Colitt

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2012, 20:19:27 »
Sounds like a tough choice. I really enjoyed the car although, as usual, I am glad to have a big project done. It ended being a lot bigger project than I (and probably Garry) thought it would be, starting with a right to left hand drive conversion and then progressively adding brake system replacement, sound and heat insulation, front suspension bushings rebuild, seat belts, side light deletion, rust deletion (code: !!!) and a little bit of sheet metal, exhaust rumble and distributor repair....

Garry, you haven't said anything about the seat belts yet. I had the constraint of trying to use the factory mounting points in order to avoid trouble with the inspectors. Problem is, the new belts are retractable and the upper / rear deck mounting point interferes with the soft top in its folded down position, so that the friction the retractor has to overcome is greater than normal..... But, for a Jaguar owner that should only amount to a minor annoyance :-)...
I can't wait to hear whether the inspectors approve of the rust repairs and the seat belt mounting too....

Have fun...

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2012, 23:15:57 »
As Tom said the seat belts interfere with the soft top when it is down which is where it stays for most of the time. I have not had an opportunity to see how others are set up but may have to do some adjusting of that.

It goes in for its first inspection on Wednesday and that will be crunch time.  They are really strict and the items that I can see that they will ping me on will be most likely the headlights need replacement for left aiming, the indicators can be intermittent so if they work then it will be fine but if its not their day then I may have to do some work.  The front turn indicators are orange and in Australia I think they have to be white so that is another item I may have to change over. Play in the steering can be another thing they love to reject and whilst the whole front end has been done, there is still a small play in the steering that I think is coming from one of the universal joints in the system.  Am hoping that it will be ok as that could be PIA. The rust repair is excellent and I don't think that they will question that.  The other item that they like to find is oil leaks so that can be a never ending process to rectify.

That is about all that I think that they could pick up.  They then photograph each item that has failed and I have I think 30 days to correct and they then inspect the repairs and rephotograph and submit the lot to the Road Traffic Authority.  If it is not done in the 30 days then the whole process starts again.

Once that is done and I have a Roadworthy Certificate, I then have to have that and a signed authority for Historic Register from a Car Club authorised member and then take the whole lot back to the Road Traffic Authority, pay $100 and they will then issue me with new plates to attach to the car and I am permitted to drive it a maximum of 90 days a year using a logbook system.

A very convoluted system but I guess it keeps someone employed somewhere in the process.

Till Wednesday

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Tom Colitt

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2012, 16:17:45 »
 ;D  "A very convoluted system but I guess it keeps someone employed somewhere in the process....."

Garry. I had an idea for the seat belt upper mounting tab on your rear "parcel shelf". Maybe you could fabricate some sort of "rollover bar", held in place by the upper mounting tab so that the soft top frame does not make contact with the seat belt webbing?...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 22:43:52 by Garry »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2012, 22:46:34 »
Well the car is still at the testing station, it did not pass the first time, no surprises there. the items are turn indicators intermittent and the flasher switch stuck.  So an Auto electricition will look at it after Easter and hopefully a certificate issued. Thankfully nothing else has been rejected so that is a really good outcome. 

Not quite home and registered yet but close.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2012, 23:26:28 »
Garry-

They probably ran into the same type problems when they were brand new.

So, how did any of them ever get there??  ;D
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2012, 23:54:02 »
its the Prince of Darkness in control.

As Tom said, I should have told them that the intermittent emergency flashers/indicators were how Lucus designed them to be, blinkers. ;D :D ;D :D

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:43:47 by Garry »
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200