Author Topic: 230SL Painted Steel Wheels and Hub Caps  (Read 3898 times)

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, Victoria, Blackburn North
230SL Painted Steel Wheels and Hub Caps
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:38 »
Good morning/afternoon, I’m in the process of "refreshing" a 1965 230SL.  It’s a car I bought interstate last year and I’m having it thoroughly checked and a few things put right before I start driving it.  Unfortunately it has alloy wheels so I’ve managed to track down some steel wheels that I’m about to have refurbished and painted and I’ve ordered  hub caps and beauty trims from the US which I’ll hopefully receive in about two weeks.

My question is: there are no lugs or pins for fixing the hub cap and from what I can see it just snaps over the pressings of the steel wheel.  All good so far but wont the (new and expesive) paint just get knocked off the wheel at the points of contact?  Also the clips that hold the beauty trims on have the same potential.  Or, should the wheels have pins for fixing the hubcaps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Gary

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: 230SL Painted Steel Wheels and Hub Caps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:38:58 »
Members have posted good specs and photos of rims here:

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/WheelsTires/Rims

Seems that if you have the 108 400 00 02 rims you will be ok with the hubcaps and trim rings. Yes the paint might scratch but not anywhere visible once installed. Maybe a dab of grease would minimise the impact?
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Gary Crutchley

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, Victoria, Blackburn North
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:35 »
Dave, thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction it was very useful.  I'm new to this forum and wasn't aware of the additional information.  Thanks again.

Gary

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 20:04:21 »
For the ONE piece cap, there are clips that have a plastic end on them that prevents scratching. Not sure if they are the same for the earlier trim ring. The part number I have is #123-400-00-27 for the plastic ended clips and I got them at the Classic Center. They work great on my powder coated 14" steel wheels.   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6