Author Topic: Pagoda ZF 5 speed trans for sale 1200GBP on London Craigslist  (Read 9025 times)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:05:05 by GGR »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
Re: Pagoda ZF 5 speed trans for sale 1200GBP on London Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 21:07:42 »
I have already offered to buy it.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 01:20:09 »
Don't part with any money for this, it's a scam!
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 02:58:57 »
Hi Dave
Its my plan to have someone in London look at it.  Have you already established its not real?

Cheers
Garry

Dave
Have your PM thanks for info
G
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:06:23 by Garry »
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

DaveB

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 03:11:58 »
Hello Garry,

The photos are of a transmission I bought in the UK earlier this year. It was packed up on a pallet and sent to my uncle's property. He received the pallet and stored it for me. He did not unpack or check it, so it's possible that I've been scammed myself, and that this Craigslist transmission is the real thing!! I'll ask my uncle to check out the package - hate to make requests like that on Xmas Eve though!

Either way this seller is untrustworthy. It would be interesting to know his response if you tell him your friend in London would like to inspect it.

Regards, Dave
DaveB

DaveB

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:14:26 »
Definitely a scam. I have reported it to Craigslist but don't expect they can do much except withdraw the listing.
This post describes a similar attempted scam by the same person:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/feedback-buyers-sellers-vendors/33193-zf-scam-watch-out.html
DaveB

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:53:21 »
The GT40 site makes for some interesting reading and a lot of lost money to this scammer.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

DaveB

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 22:21:42 »
I've repeatedly notified Craigslist using their 'report a scam' link but the listing is still there. Disappointing.
They do at least provide some some good advice about avoiding scams:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
DaveB

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 20:29:15 »
The peculiar thing with Craigslist is it is very easy, as a poster (seller or want to buy) with an account, to get permanently banned from using Craigslist.  I have with the simple act of looking for concert tickets.

There is only a certain number of postings per time period one is allowed to make from one account OR one IP address.  You can't delete listings and relist them (top-posting).  You cannot list the same ad in different places.  If you have "similar" postings in different locales, you can be banned. Those are just a few of Craigslist's rules.

I was looking for concert tickets to two different concerts in two different college towns in Michigan, both outside of Detroit (East Lansing and Ann Arbor) and both with their own Craigslist.  I was certain (and turned out, correct) that some tickets would be listed in the Detroit area, others at the respective separate Craigslist sites.  I posted WTB (wanted to buy) advertisements in all three locations.  Technically not prohibited, but since the concert artist was the same, the "bots" (robots) they have patrolling the listings thought it was.  So, my account was "put on hold".  Turns out this is a quite common thing, and since there are actually no human beings at Craigslist to speak with, no phone numbers to call that answer a phone, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to resolve the issue.  The only solution is to open another account using another email address.  There is just nobody home at Craigslist.

This is so prevalent a problem with Craigslist, even with honest people like me, that there is an active market SELLING working "Craigslist accounts" that have not been banned!  http://pva-craigslist.org/  In some jurisdictions, you need a "phone verification" to make Craigslist work, and there are companies selling PVA (phone verified accounts) for use in Craigslist postings!  Here is a sample of the advertising for selling working Craigslist accounts, right from the website listed above:

We offer Phone Verified Craigslist Accounts that have been manually created by our experienced team. Each account is created with a unique IP address and a unique phone number in the USA. The accounts are also created with a unique email and unique password leaving no way for Craigslist to find patterns and delete them. The accounts are created fresh for each order and each account is tested so please allow up to 3 days for delivery. If any accounts are not working within 48 hours of being delivered and no posting activity has been initiated we will replace them.

This is not your father's classified advertising.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 20:38:10 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid