Author Topic: Hydro compensator for W111  (Read 5344 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Hydro compensator for W111
« on: August 18, 2010, 21:19:56 »
I wanted to get some opinions from people about the effectiveness of the hydro-compensator vs. the spring compensator. Does it have a significantly positive effect on handling and the suspension? I know it does work to level the rear height during heavy loads. Since I do not carry heavy loads, the leveling feature will not benefit me. 

My '68 originally came with it, but now has been replaced with the spring. The earlier cars did not have the "automatic" compensator to level the car's rear height under a heavy load.  I am considering replacing the spring with the expensive hydro-compensator, but want to get some feedback before I decide.

Thanks for your opinions! 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Louis

Re: Hydro compensator for W111
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 22:22:25 »
 I considered installing a H.N. Compensator on my 69 280 se coupe while I was rebuilding the whole suspension system about 9 years ago. I couldn't find any reason to do so after doing a lot of comparison research between the much less expensive rear diff. spring versus the H.N.C. . Nine years later , I have no regrets. The suspension is firm and holds firmly on corners etc......No height issues in the rear when travelling with a full trunk of luggage . I'm glad I didn't spend the $12000.00 that they were going for at that time while I was considering it....My opinion is that you should spend the extra money else where. I think I bought the regular diff. spring for less than $150.00 .  :-\

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:28:37 »
Quote from: wwheeler
I wanted to get some opinions from people about the effectiveness of the hydro-compensator vs. the spring compensator. Does it have a significantly positive effect on handling and the suspension?
I drive a W108; 250SE. IMHO, the Boge hydro-compensating spring gives superior driving performance. I had to replace my failing Boge with a spring, then after refurbishing the Boge at ZF, I re-mounted it. A relief.
To each his own, I suppose. All depends on how (fast) and on what roads you drive your classic, and the general condition on all suspension parts. I have renewed all rubber parts in my chassis. Also how the chassis is adjusted affects the driving experience.
/Hans in Sweden
PS.  The Boge hydro compensator is no longer manufactured. However, the Boge factory, nowadays part of ZF group, has for the German M-B Clubs made a special run to enable re-furbishing of old worn-out units. The work comes with a guarantee. See Web: http://www.zf.com
You can mail to Herr Dieter Narres;  dieter.narres@zf.com to obtain detailed information about the refurb   DS.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:44:07 by mbzse »
/Hans S

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 16:08:09 »
Thank you for your thoughts. All that is left to do now is JUST decide.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6