Author Topic: Radio installation  (Read 3447 times)

mbz.280sl

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, MA, Cape Cod
Radio installation
« on: April 16, 2010, 17:36:57 »
My radio is just loosely installed in the hole for the radio. I know I'm missing something to hold it in place.
I think the two brackets (pictures shown) are needed to hold the radio in it's place but I don't know where these brackets go.
Can anyone tell me where to attach these brackets, preferably with a picture.

Thanks,
Otto
1969 280SL, 4 speed manual, AC,  Sand Beige

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Radio installation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 18:44:25 »
Hey Otto. I can't show a picture right now but they essentially clip the radio frame up against the dash opening. With knobs and face plate off, the radio frame will have small slits that the bracket goes in. The ends of the bracket set in front of the radio opening. As you tighten the screw, the radio is pulled snug. It kind of makes sense when you do it.
James
63 230SL

Wes Bender

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 21:54:18 »
The narrow end of each of the brackets goes at the bottom.  That should be apparent to you when you find the slots.  Also, do yourself a favor and make sure that the spring clip that sticks out at the rear of the radio slips over the "shelf" that is behind the radio.  (I'm assuming it is that way on all the Becker radios for the 280SL.)  If the spring clip rests on top of the shelf it will rattle.  If it is below the shelf there is no support for the rear of the radio.

Cheers,

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:39:45 »
Becker Installatin manual with diagram is halfway down this page: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/RadioAndAntenna
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mbz.280sl

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, MA, Cape Cod
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 13:34:52 »
Thank you Wes, James and Peter.
I know I should have looked at the Technical Manual.
It was right there in front of me.
Now I won't have to worry about my radio sliding out while driving.
Thanks again,
Otto
1969 280SL, 4 speed manual, AC,  Sand Beige