Author Topic: Extra fuse for left high beam  (Read 4909 times)

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
Extra fuse for left high beam
« on: April 14, 2010, 22:34:48 »
I was having trouble getting the left high beam working on my '70 280SL and finally discovered a small, secondary fuse box mounted by the clutch fluid reservoir.  It doesn't show up on any of the wiring diagrams that I have.  It holds two fuses, but only one has wires going to it, and sure enough it was blown.  I replaced it the lights started working.

What gives with this extra fuse box?  It appears to service nothing but the left high beam and seems redundant with fuse #10 in the main box.

And that leads me to another issue.  The high beam flasher doesn't work either.  According to the wiring diagram, it goes directly from Fuse #1, to the steering column stalk, then to fuse #10.  I have power at fuse #1, but nothing at fuse #10.

Before I start pulling apart connectors on the steering column, are there any more undocumented fuses that I should be aware of?  In other cars, the stalk operates a relay, not the light directly, but that doesn't appear to be the case wiht teh W113?

Thanks, as always,

Peter
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

dtuttle123

Re: Extra fuse for left high beam
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 22:54:25 »
Hi Peter - If it's the same fuse box that I'm thing about - the auxiliary two fuse box was used for a couple of things - the radio, and the power antenna.  I think I've heard that fog lights could be wired through there.

I don't know about the left high beam - that doesn't sound right - that's #10.   

Attached is the fuse description from my 250SL - may be different for the 280SL.

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 23:39:23 »
The fuse designations are the same on the 280, at least for the headlights.   As best I can tell, the wire is supposed to go directly from fuse #10 to the left high beam, but actually runs through this aux fuse box.  Maybe a previous owner hacked things for some reason.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 00:22:28 »
If you are asking about the highbeam flasher that is part of the multi-function column switch, this function was disabled on USA version cars. Can be restored by following the steps in the Tech Manual.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:03:44 »
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.  Many thanks for the pointer - you saved me a ton of time.  I missed that part of the tech manual and will see if I can restore the function.

Other than seized wiper spindles and a front end rebuild, I think I'm ready for state inspection.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

xcashewx

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:12:26 »
i restored the flash function on my car as well. took ten minutes. just locate the disconnected wire which will be taped, and re connect it. easy as that

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:07:45 »
i restored the flash function on my car as well. took ten minutes. just locate the disconnected wire which will be taped, and re connect it. easy as that

reconnect to what, exactly?
James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 15:12:14 »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!