Author Topic: Real cars... Real people...  (Read 13029 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Real cars... Real people...
« on: July 31, 2009, 14:09:53 »
Real cars... Real people...

The Pagoda SL Group is a group of people that like their Pagoda's. We have an active community here on the internet, and we love meeting one another here. However, we are also a group of real people, that meet in real life, and help each other, and share joy and grief, over our cars and sometimes more personal matters.

We are an open group. You can join as a Basic Member, and all you need to share with us is your location. We like that, because it keeps the barrier to joining low. We do like to have your location, because our advice (like where to get parts, or if something is expensive or not) often depends on where you are.

When you become a Full Member, we ask a bit more from you. Your full name for instance. Even then we do not ask everything. Not your age, or gender. We'd like to know that (because it helps us determine who owns Pagoda's for instance) but it's up to you.

We would like to ask for a couple of things. Once you've been around for a bit, perhaps reading the forums, please leave a message. Introduce yourself. Ask for help. Share some insights.

If you've been posting for a while, please share your real name with us. Change your username ("handle") or put it in your Signature. Add a picture of yourself. We are real people, and have real names. When we meet you at an event (PUB or elsewhere) we'd like to know you, so we can make you feel welcome.

So take action today. After logging in, go to the Profile tab, then choose Account Related Settings. Here you can change your visible name,  add your City, Country and State. Make sure that Hide Email Address From Public is ticked. That way your e-mail address remains private and cannot be farmed by Spammers. Then SAVE your info.

Next choose Forum Profile Information. Upload your picture, add your birthdate and gender (if you like), check your location, and add your real name and details of the car you own to your signature. Then SAVE again.

Note: especially if you've been a member of the forum for a while now, please check and update your info. It only takes a minute or so. We used to collect less information in the past, so maybe you are still pretty anonymous.

Real behaviour...

The Internet is a wonderful place, but we have all noticed that it can also provide people with the means to insult and harass others without taking the full responsibility for their words. A community that allows that type of behavior will quickly decay, so we insist that while you are on our Pagoda SL Group website you respect the people you encounter and their cars and opinions. You are free to disagree, but you are not free to attack people simply for your amusement. If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it here. If you cannot conduct yourself in a respectful manner, first your posts, and then you will be removed. If you have not made yourself known, that could happen even sooner!

Let's work together at making this a great community!

Peter van Es
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
Re: Real cars... Real people...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:47:15 »
Just a quick update... as you can tell, more and more people have a sensible location (i.e. more than just "USA") in their location field. It's very helpful as it immediately allows you to taylor your advice for someone: you won't hassle someone who's got an engine block for sale in Australia if you are in Europe. You will not tell someone in California to go to ja17's place in Ohio.

So do yourself a favour... update your location field. Go to the Profile tab, then Account Related Settings, then enter your City, select your Country, and your State/Province. Then enter your password and press the Change Profile button.

Now have a look at your posts, the Location field at the top right of each of your posts will show the information you've just entered (make sure you do a refresh of the screen first). If your Location is not updated, you've not done it correctly.

If you had a location in your signature, you can now remove it there.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

boxster2008

Re: Advise on driving a Pagoda
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 23:38:28 »

Hi Peter,

I am new to the Pagoda community and would like to take a minute to embrace your comments on respect on the web. I can't say enough about how relevant your comments were about not saying things on the web that you would not say to the person's face. I would also agree that we are a community of real people. No one has the right to insult and demean others.

I would like to ask the community where one might go to "test drive" one of these beautiful cars. I have been in love with these cars since I was about 16. I grew up in New York and a neighbor had a 230SL. Wow, this car was amazing. Now that I am an adult, I would like to see whether it would be worth investing in one of these cars. The problem is it has been so long since driving one that I have forgotten how they drive. I live in the state of Florida in the USA. Any thoughts about how I might go about seeking one to drive? I know it is an odd question but it is relevant to me.

Thanks,

Bryan

hauser

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:51:48 »
Peter, since you mentioned profiles I took the liberty to look at yours.  I noticed there is a slice of cake with a candle on it.  I can only guess it's your birthday?  If so Happy Birthday!!!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:01:19 »
Hauser, thanks for pointing that out... did you also spot the big 50 there? Indeed, it's my birthday today!

Bryan, you can search for Florida members using the Members function... but having posted this request, you may find some people who will react to this and take up contact. Send them a Personal Message, then e-mail and then telephone them. You will need to "establish your bona fides!"

Peter

Brian Davidson

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:14:48 »
Happy Birthday Peter. we would love to see you in ireland sometime. what about an irish trip? may see you in Obergurgl. we were there in march.   what a magnificent web site for which i thank you. have a great day and make sure to have plenty with which to wash down that cake. with best wishes ,Brian.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Peter turned 50 !!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 22:19:49 »
Happy Birthday Peter

from me too.
Have a great day, a great time

with my best wishes for you

Achim
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 22:26:53 by Peter van Es »
Achim
(Germany)