Author Topic: '' Rear Window ''  (Read 5415 times)

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
'' Rear Window ''
« on: July 16, 2009, 19:28:39 »
I have never been so wound up with the Pagoda since I acquired her ...... >:( >:( >:(
Tuesday afternoon I took a lovely drive down to Oxford with the soft top down, after a while I parked up, put the soft top up and went for a coffee.
On my return to the car I undid the two leavers above the window to loosen the roof and then pulled the back leaver to pop the rear window up in order to put the roof back in to its casing. I lifted the casing lid .................
I am not sure what exactly happened, or what I did wrong !! but then the rear window dropped back in to the casing while still open [ not folded ] and the casing lid still up.

Are you still with me ? :-[

The flat roof is able to fold back & forth, however, the rear window refuses to come out of its compartment .....
I tried, I had onlookers try to help, I eventualy had to call 'Naj', Naj explained that I should try using a belt to try to pull the rear window out of its casing, I wasnt wearing a belt  :-\ & I didnt have a piece of rope either.

[ Sorry Naj if I misunderstood you & thank you for your time  :)]

Over an hour had passed and I decided to call the ''Rescue Team'' It took the rescue man an hour to arrive, could he help NO, did we try using his belt & rope? yes , did it do the trick NOoooooo. We nearly tried using a crowbar!
Due to the weather change and it was suggested that he drive me home on the back of his OPEN truck :o Not such a good idea because of the OPEN truck, he then had to call another rescue person with a closed truck in order to get me home, he took another hour & half to arrive.

Cut a longer story short I managed to get home by 12.30am with the rearwindow STILL buried in the back casing unable to fold out/up & the flat roof cant reach the front for me to screw the two srews back in. [ 5 inch gap ]

Can anyone help please ....... :'(
Thank you in advance,

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: '' Rear Window ''
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 20:41:09 »
Hey Kemal. This is even scarier than the Hitchcock version... (sorry bad joke).

I am not sure if this helps but I think I may have had a similar thing happen -- the rear section stayed in the case while the rest came up and then I couldn't lift it out? If that sounds the same -- what I did was refold the front and repack it into case. Once the two rearmost sections "reconnected" with each other it all came back up as normal. If I am way off -- sorry. Someone will help I am sure.
James
63 230SL

Kemal

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 21:56:18 »
Hi Grace, ;)

Believe me, I tried, they tried, we all tried, heaving back and forth...... The top moves from left to right, and that's it, while the back stays open tucked under behind the boot, with the flap up behind it like a wind breaker.

Thank you,
James Stewwwart.
 ;D

I can still hold a sense of humour ;D

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 22:21:43 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

SteveK

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:47 »
I had this happen to me once, pretty frustrating!   Turns out it's a design flaw and if you go into the tech manual and look under soft top maintenance, there is a section called "what if your soft top is stuck".   It has a blow by blow on how to pop it loose.   It worked for me.   (Probably not a bad idea to make a printout of it and put it in the glove compartment now that I think about it.)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:45:00 »
Here it is: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop#StuckSofttop

It's happened to me once as well, that's why it is in there in detail. Now wouldn't you like to have a printed copy of the entire Tech Manual in the Glove compartment?

Join to help complete more of it and as it gets better, we'll start producing a printed version!

Peter (temporarily from Curacao)
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Kemal

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 19:42:06 »
Thank you, it's good to read that it's been a shared unfortunate experience.  ;)
I will try this within a week once the rain stops. :(

Thanks again, :)
Kemal

280SL
Manual LHD69
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 20:55:00 »
I had that happen too.  And yes, it is very frustrating! 
If I remember correctly it eventually came out like how John said. Fold and reconnect the two ends. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Kemal

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 17:21:26 »
Done  ;D
I can breath again .....
After reading through the Tech Manual and receiving info from Hans ................. Plus help from my local garage ''Classic Chrome'' she is now dressed appropriately for all weathers! ( Easy when you know how )
Thank you for all help & advice :)

Kemal
280 SL
manual LHD69

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69