Author Topic: Folding top pillar seal - what is it?  (Read 3311 times)

egggplant

Folding top pillar seal - what is it?
« on: December 20, 2008, 00:51:42 »
Hi:

I noticed that there's a door seal that I don't understand.  It's item 205 in the image below and is listed in the parts manual as "Seal at folding top pillar".

Does anyone know what this is?  Since Mercedes Benz wants $40 each I'd like to know what I'm getting for my money.

bpossel

Re: Folding top pillar seal - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:40 »
Graham,

There is one of these rubber seals on each side of the soft top frame.  They are connected on the frame, not the door.  These are hard to see, but basically these rubbers protect the chrome plate from being scratched when the top frame is up and resting on the chrome sill plates. I'm not sure these can be replaced while the canvas is on?
Bob  :)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Folding top pillar seal - what is it?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:35:47 »
Graham,

At $40 you're being ripped off. I made some out of some old rubber strips glued together. I just cannot understand the price of these things.

You may find that yours don't even touch the frame. Mine don't, although I didn't find that out until later. I only changed one on one side for that reason.

As for doing it without taking the canvas off, I think it would be a colossal pain in the arse. I did mine with the roof frame off the car; it you wanted to change them with the roof on the car and the top on the frame I think you'd have to remove the chrome caps at a minimum (which isn't hard). You should be able to get an idea from looking at your roof now. There is a tiny screw or two on the underside that you would need to remove.

Here's a photo of the piece in place. Not a great shot, but the piece can be seen clearly.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL