Author Topic: Kangol Seatbelt Questions & Pictures  (Read 13103 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Kangol Seatbelt Questions & Pictures
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:09 »
Hello -

I would like to ask all of the questions I can think of if one were to compile a FAQ on Kangol shoulder belts and lap belts.  I have taken pictures of various parts and I'm having my shoulder belts made, but I don't have answers to many of the questions.  I think that some of you have the answers to some or all of the questions that I will post here.   

Let's start with the "tongue".  I mean the chrome piece that wraps around at the end and is secured to the magnetic buckle.  First of all, is "tongue" the correct name for this piece?  IS there a correct name for this piece?  Having said that, here is my first question:

1.  Which is correct for a 113, the left, or the right, or either depending on year, lap belt vs. shoulder belt, ???  Take a look at this picture of two different styles and let me know what is up with this! (see KangolBuckles.jpg)

2.  There is a second picture that shows one of the left-style tougues with webbing, and also shows a metal belt hanger in the right side of the photo.  More on the belt hanger in a minute.  (see KangolHangerAndBuclke.jpg)

3.  Speaking of belt hangers, what's the deal with these plastic ones that cover the smaller metal end piece?  And what's the deal with the metal ones that clip into the belt near the metal end piece?  Seems like you can't have both.  Is one right and one wrong?  Are they both wrong?  For the installed metal hanger, see the KangolHangerAndBuckle.jpg, for the uninstalled see KangolMetalHanger.jpg, and for the plastic cover and hanger see KangolPlasticCover.jpg.

I've got a couple more questions but I'll put those in the next post since there is a limit of four photos per post.  (Is there a way to put text between photos in the posts?)

Thanks
Scott
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 23:02:39 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Kangol Seatbelt Questions & Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:56:03 »
Here are the rest of my questions.

4.  The end pieces.  Take a look at the picture KangolEnds.jpg.  On the left is a nice shiny smaller end piece.  On the right is a larger shiny end piece.   In between is a little plastic piece that snaps inside the left piece between the metal and where the belt loops through. 

4a.  On a car with lap belts and not shoulder belts, are there two of the left pieces securing a single set?

4b.  On a car with shoulder belts, is there the larger piece securing one of the 3 end pieces?  WHICH END does it secure?  I'm guessing that it goes on the door side at the floor, but maybe it goes on the door side at the shoulder height?  Then those hanger things wouldn't work....

4c.  What about that little plastic slide thing?  Out of the smaller sized end pieces that I have, some have the plastic slide and some don't.  And one has a little metal version of it. 

4d.  I have some that have been chromed and some that don't appear to have ever been chromed.  Is it just that my chrome has worn off of those, or are some chrome and some not chrome, and does that depend on whether it is exposed or covered by a plastic cover?

5.  On a related note, see the photo KangolBolt.jpg.  That picture has a nice chrome bolt, a washer, and a spacer bushing/washer/thingy.  My assumption is that the bushing is so you can insert it in an endpiece and still tighten it down real tight and allow the end piece to pivot.  Right?  OK, so question 5 is which of the three (assuming shoulder belts) end pieces get the bushing?  All of them?  None of them?

6.  Last question is about labels.  See picture KangolLabel.jpg.  There seem to be different styles of labels, and different models.    Is one model correct for 113 cars?  If so, what is it?  For lap belts or shoulder belts?

THANKS!!!!
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:30:06 »

I was at the classic center today and got _some_ answers.  Regarding question 4 about the end pieces... 

The left end piece is used on both sides if you have a lap belt only.  If you have a shoulder belt, the left piece is used on the tunnel connection point and at the shoulder connection point.  The right piece is used at the door-side floor connection point.    Depending on year and position, the pieces may be chrome or not chrome.  If they are chrome (particularly for the shoulder) they also have a big chrome bolt holding it in and the head of the bolt is "thin" compared to most bolts.  A thicker-headed bolt would be used in other locations where it is not visible.   On later cars, the shoulder connector would be covered with a plastic thing like in the pictures above.  In this case the connector and bolt would probably not be chrome. 

The collar thing shown with the bolt goes on connection points that need to pivot, primarily the shoulder connection point.  The collar may or may not be on other connection points -- less significant.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 15:49:49 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:36:55 »
Scott:

Several times I posted what I thought was a simple question expecting a chrous of replies and got none!

Since I had the need for the information and no one else was coming forward, I did what you are doing,  I researched the answers myself.  A few times I found out enough to write the Tech Manual article...from the dummy I became the source of information.

This is all part of the "fun" of owning these cars.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:42:25 »
Hi Scott,

I'll take a shot at a few of your questions....

Q1. My belts have the buckle similar to the one on the right side (no magnet) 
Q3.  My setup uses these plastic covers to cover up the bolts on the trans tunnel.  I dont have the plastic caps anywhere else..  I dont have the metal hangers
Q4d. All my bolts are chrome.  Some chrome is worn.....
Q5.  You are correct.  This allows the bolt to be tightened up and still allow the belt to swival as needed.  I recall having these on all 3 connection points on my setup.
Bob  :)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:53:51 by bpossel »

KUMARB

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 22:58:29 »
I have taken out the seat belts from my 280SL for reconditioning. I have three point anchored lap-shoulder belts. All three points have bushings which allow all three points to swivel (pivot).  I hope this answers one of your questions.

My problem is the plastic cover plate which has MB logo on it and is broken on both left and right belts. As much as I would like to keep the belts original, I have difficulty finding the replacement Kangol plastic pieces.

Good luck!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:07:19 »

My problem is the plastic cover plate which has MB logo on it and is broken on both left and right belts. As much as I would like to keep the belts original, I have difficulty finding the replacement Kangol plastic pieces.
Do you mean the belt buckle plastic cover with the logo?   They are on eBay.  The plastic cover can be removed from a rusty set such as the ones that just sold - ebay item 220334864846.  If this is the part that you have broken, you are lucky because those usually aren't broken, it's usually the metal parts that are all rusty instead.  Also, the MB logos are being reproduced but a certain forum member refuses to tell me where he gets them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220334864846&

Or do you mean the plastic bolt covers like I have in my set of photos above....?

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 17:53:41 »
I plan to install new webbing and reconditioned buckles on both my cars. Does anyone know how long the webbing should be for the outside and the inside pieces?? The replacements will be shoulder belts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:32:25 by vanesp »
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:08:19 »
I PLAN TO INSTALL NEW WEBBING AND RECONDITIONED BUCKLES ON BOTH MY CARS. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THE WEBBING SHOULD BE FOR THE OUTSIDE AND THE INSIDE PIECES?? THE REPLACEMENTS WILL BE SHOULDER BELTS.
Hi Harry -   I don't know the correct length but there is a decent chance that the person doing the webbing will know.   Perhaps you could write to the person who purchased the NEW IN BOX set and ask for a measurement.   

You indicate that you are going to install new webbing for shoulder belts.  Are the existing belts shoulder belts?  If not, you are going to be missing pieces that the lap belts don't include...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:25:00 »
Hi Scoot:

Yes the existing repro belts are shoulder belts, so the mounts are there.

Also, thank you for the tip, I sent an e-mail to the buyer.  Not sure though if the "new in box" belts are for a Jaguar or MB, and if they are the same length.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:33:38 by vanesp »
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 19:59:39 »
  Not sure though if the "new in box" belts are for a Jaguar or MB, and if they are the same length.
  The NIB belts are model LD3, which is the model that is correct for 113 cars and LOTS of other cars.  The mounting kit that was sold with it was for a Triumph, Austin, and who knows what else.   My understanding is that a particular car will require one model belt and one model mounting kit.  Someday when I write a wiki on Kangol I'll try to have as many model cross references as I can get.   One thing that is odd about the belts that you purchased is that they don't have Kangol tags sewn to them, but the box does say LD3.  I don't have an explanation for this.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California