Author Topic: If you spot something broken...  (Read 27035 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
If you spot something broken...
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:08:17 »
Dear Members,

if you spot a message with a broken picture link, or an incorrect link to another part of the website, please press the "Report to Moderator" link at the bottom right of the erroneous message.

In the notification, indicate that there is a missing picture or a broken link. I will do my utmost to correct it.

If you spot an offending message (spam, or lewd content, or someone looking for a (virtual) fight), please also Report that to a Moderator, and indicate the issue with the message. If we've missed it we can then do something about it.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Val

Re: If you spot something broken...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 23:51:33 »
Hi Peter,

I might be being dense, but I can't for the life of me find the 'Report to Moderator' link??

This post has a load of broken links that I wanted to let you know about:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8072.0

regards

Val

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 13:36:34 »
Val,

thanks for alerting me to this... you should see that option now!

And I'll try and fix the missing files...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 13:55:27 »
Missing files added in topic!

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:55:54 »
Hello Peter,

Is there going to be a FEEDBACK or SUGGESTIONS area?
Also how do I do a search in the members list on country of members?
Are these features that you have on the back burner?

How do I go back to the main entry page from the forum home page?
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 16:47:20 »
Hello Peter,

Is there going to be a FEEDBACK or SUGGESTIONS area?
Also how do I do a search in the members list on country of members?
Are these features that you have on the back burner?

Where have you been... this whole section (About this site) is a feedback and suggestions area... just post your thoughts...

Then your questions...

1 and 2: No, there is no way for YOU to search on the country of members. Members that are forum members only do not even have to provide us with that information. Full members obviously do, however, we keep it relatively low-key for privacy reasons. However, I can search on it, and get you in contact with anyone you care to see...

If you click on a user's name, you'll see summary information for a user, including Location, if they've entered it.

On question 3.... you have these tabs at the top of your page ? Home gets you to the front page, Forum gets you to the Forum front page, Technical Manual to ... well, you get the idea. Couldn't be easier...

Peter

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 19:33:10 »
Yes I get the idea but you missed the point of my question about main entry page.

So I submit my question again. How do I go back to the main entry page from the forum home page?

Where have I been? Ha Ha

WOW! You want to do all the searches for me?
I know you are generous with your time , thanks for the offer.

I used to be able to search on country for members, and this is better software?
So I have to search manually on each and every member just to see who is from my country.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 21:50:51 »
... you missed the point of my question about main entry page.

Bob - if you click on the upper left hand tab (labelled 'home') it gets you to the top/homepage. Is that what you wanted to know?

Cheers,
Cees
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 22:09:36 »
Yes I get the idea but you missed the point of my question about main entry page.

So I submit my question again. How do I go back to the main entry page from the forum home page?

WOW! You want to do all the searches for me?
I know you are generous with your time , thanks for the offer.

I used to be able to search on country for members, and this is better software?
So I have to search manually on each and every member just to see who is from my country.

Bob,

I'm sorry but I REALLY do not understand your question about the Main Entry Page.... What do you mean with that (can you post the URL?)

Update... I've figured it out... you are using the Babylon Theme, which is the only one that does not have a HOME button. Could you please switch to the default forum theme (Go to Profile, then Look and Layout Preferences and select Current Theme as Forum and Board default)?

Secondly, no, I'm not going to do all searches for you. But if you want to mail all Australian members, I would be able to take care of that.

Peter

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 18:25:27 by vanesp »

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 00:40:11 »
How do you specify or change the Language entry in the Profile?

Chris

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:59:07 »
Well spotted... I've disabled the language feature of the Profile. Essentially, if I allow it, AND upload all language packs, AND modify all my modifications to the system to make them multi-lingual, THEN I would have a great deal of hassle trying to understand what members are talking about when coming back with problems in German, Dutch, Spanish or an other language.

I decided to disable the multi-lingual feature... if you want to be able to participate in this forum, in English, dealing with English menu items should be the least of your worries!

Peter

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 20:58:38 »
Well spotted... I've disabled the language feature of the Profile. Essentially, if I allow it, AND upload all language packs, AND modify all my modifications to the system to make them multi-lingual, THEN I would have a great deal of hassle trying to understand what members are talking about when coming back with problems in German, Dutch, Spanish or an other language.

I decided to disable the multi-lingual feature... if you want to be able to participate in this forum, in English, dealing with English menu items should be the least of your worries!

Peter

Peter,

English is my native language, so that's not a problem, and I certainly agree that the list should be in English.   Rather, I was thinking of letting members list second (third, etc) languages just as information for other members, primarily for email.  For example, a German member might find it easier to send a private email in German if s/he knew the member could handle German.

Chris

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 21:36:40 »
For that we have the Location featue, and the "Name looks like he/she might speak...."  (fill in the blanks) feature only  ;)

Peter

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 22:44:24 »
Here is a strange log-in problem.
When I go directly to a "restricted" topic in the Technical Manual a window opens asking me to log-in (see pic). Entering my user name and password brings up a message: user and/or password not recognized.
When I then click on the log-in button in the left margin a new log-in window opens up and that one is a lot more "user friendly", it lets me in!  :)
Why the difference?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 15:48:24 by Peter van Es »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 23:08:36 »
Alfred,

it's to do with your cookies. Clear cookies and log in on the forum again. Then go to the Technical Manual and you should not need to log in again at all.

This difference is a remnant of the changeover from the old site to the new one, it just means one of your cookies has gone awry...

Peter

psmith

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 06:57:20 »
In other words, please toss your cookies!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 19:28:52 »
I'm not sure if this counts as broken but -- starting today, I notice that the webpage no longer fits on my browser. I have a scrollbar right and left which I did not have before. Not end of the world but a little annoying. Is this a setting on my end? or did something change? I wonder if it is the added words on the title bar....
James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 19:37:19 »
It is indeed the added words in the heading.... do you have a small screen - if so, what resolution? Can you enlarge your window?

I've just changed it for the forum (where it was noticeable) but left the new title on the front page for search engines to find us!

Peter
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 19:39:40 by vanesp »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 21:22:02 »
Well, it was not considered small when I bought it -- but they seem to be getting bigger every day! 17 inch I think (e173fp), resolution is 1152 X 864. But whatever you did seem to help a lot. Thanks.
James
63 230SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 21:25:29 »
Since about Saturday (4 April) when I open the "forum" page, I notice that before the page opens, for less than a second a different page appears with what looks like blue and white rectangles centered in the page seperated by lines of text, then the normal forum header page opens up.
It flashes up and then switches so quickly I cant make out any details of what it may be.

don't know if this is a problem or not, I am running Windows Vista, Internet Explorer.

Al

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 07:17:33 »
don't know if this is a problem or not, I am running Windows Vista, Internet Explorer.

I've just tested it on my wife's Vista PC with IE. What you are seeing is how the browser builds up the page, with all its formatting instructions. The reason you can see this is because you are using the operating system that slows down every PC that doesn't have the fastest processor, with a browser that is also know for it's bloatedness. If your PC hardware is not top notch and your internet connection not the fastest, you'll see what you see. If it does not impede your browsing experience, it's not a problem. Should you like to solve this, here are your options (from most effective to least effective... regrettably the ease/cost of following my advice is in inverse order):
  • buy a Mac. Any Mac. I kid you not. The site's developed on a Mac and works very well indeed
  • buy a faster PC... get the top of the line unit, because Microsoft will bring out software that will slow it right down
  • install Linux and Firefox... a surefire way to wring the maximum performance out of your existing hardware
  • downgrade to Windows XP... thousands have gone this way
  • install Google Chrome, by far the fastest browser... this is easy to do and easy to check out

Peter

(ps: the old adagium "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to Pagoda's and PC's, and software!)

al_lieffring

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 13:40:58 »
Thank you Peter

I had a suspicion that is what is happening. but I thought it might be of interest for you to know how the web sight is performing out here with my less than optimal hardware / software package (The way DELL built it).

The cogs and gears of how a web sight actually works is way beyond my understanding. Thanks so much for putting it all together for us.

Al.

psmith

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 04:48:31 »
Hi Peter,

In the last week or so, when I log in, the page just goes blank.  I then reload the page and Firefox says it must resend the information and I click ok, and then I'm logged in.  I'm running Windows XP and Firefox 3.0.8

Thanks,

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:18 »
Did this happen once or every time?

The one change I made at the end of March (on the 30th) is that I added Google Analytics code to EVERY page loaded by the web-site. That would have made the site slightly less snappy, and could have caused initial reloading issues... but on my system it still is very snappy!

Peter

psmith

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 15:28:21 »
It happens every time, but only the login, all other pages load fine.  I should also add that I installed a new virus scanner, Avast Home Edition.  If others are not having the same problem then it may be on my end.