Author Topic: Battery Tray Corrosion  (Read 9876 times)

KUMARB

Battery Tray Corrosion
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:28:28 »
The battery tray on my 280SL is badly corroded. One half of the tray is completely gone. Additionally, the wheel-well metal underneath the battery tray has corroded through. I have bought a new replacement battery tray from the local MB dealer, and am going to get the metal corroded part fixed. I was wondering what caused such corrosion around the battery area and what can be done to prevent it in future. I am in the process of restoring the car.

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Battery Tray Corrosion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 13:16:07 »
Kumarb,

The tray corrosion is almost certainly caused by spilled battery acid.  This comes about in any of several ways.  First, if you are refilling a battery, when you add the water to the cells and the cells overflow, what overflows is acid.  Second, those caps on the cells are vented, so hard stops or fast starts can actually spill small amounts of the acid out.  Older batteries, or those that have had the hold-down too tight can also crack--thus leaking the acid.  Lastly, certain charging conditions can cause the acid to boil or bubble in the battery, thus also spilling out.  Any time you get what appears to be water coming from your battery, it is actually acid and it goes in and around the battery tray, causing the corrosion you note.

What to do?  Well, first--if you are not going to show your car in an MBCA Concours where originality counts, get a sealed Optima Gel battery and your problems will be over--expensive but worth it.  If you continue with a lead-acid battery, you can purchase a "mat" that fits under the battery.  You can buy these at any auto parts store for a few dollars.  The mat is like a thin sponge and is impregnated with "basic" chemicals which neutralize the acid and minimize corrosion to some extent; you should change them annually.  You can be careful NOT to overfill the battery cells.  You can, annually, remove the battery, and neutralize/clean the battery tray.  Baking soda and water or dilute ammonia will do a fine job of neutralizing followed by a thorough rinse with clean water.  If you are concerned about water, be sure to dry the area thoroughly using towels and either compressed air or even just one of those small electric leaf blowers before you reinstall the battery.  Be sure not to spill any acid in the reinstall process!

Your new battery tray is probably painted.  This isn't as durable a surface as powder coat; you might consider powder coating the tray and the hold down as well.  This offers a greater measure of protection against the accidental spills.  I've done my hold down and my battery tray is next.

Hope this helps and good luck!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 13:19:25 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

KUMARB

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 21:41:41 »

Thank you, mdsalemi, for a detailed explanation of battery corrosion. Your help is greatly appreciated.

In my 280SL, the battery is located under the crack opening between fender and hood. Rain water can get into engine compartment through this crack. Rain water falling on battery top dissolves the acidic residue on battery top and runs down to battery tray and wheelwell metal underneath the battery, thus, corroding everything in its way. My MB 107 car has rain gutter which keeps rain water from entering the engine compartment. I have very little battery corrosion on this car. If I provided a rain gutter over the battery or protected the battery from rain water somehow, corrosion could be minimized?

dseretakis

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 15:56:50 »
The location of the battery on the pagoda doesn't help much since its installation is very awkward.  Tilting the battery at an almost 90 degree angle to slide it into its tight quarters can also help facilitate battery acid leakage.
Dimitri

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
Dry Cell Battery solution
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:24 »
All batteries will eventually leak for many reasons.
Here is another solution. You can replace yours with a dry cell battery that will look like stock. It's more money, but it completely eliminates the possibility of this happening again.
http://www.sonnenschein.org/

Peter Perry
1965 230SL
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

john.mancini

• Gold
  • USA: Nokomis, FL and Chatham, MA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 13:48:08 »
Which battery from this company will fit the 113's?
John
John
68 280SL 906 Blue 4-sp
69 280SL 906 Blue
70 280SL 904 Blue
70 280SL 571 Red
70 280SL 040 Black 4-sp
66 230SL 162 Blue/Grey 
68 280SL 568 Red 4-sp
69 280SL 304 Horizon Blue
65 230SL 519 Red 4-sp
83 911SC