Author Topic: white steering wheel 1966 SL230  (Read 3902 times)

Holden Lewis

white steering wheel 1966 SL230
« on: November 19, 2008, 22:35:52 »
My white steering wheel is cracked and ugly......the red circular middle is also worn and not looking good.  Do you re-furbish? Or do you buy a new one?  Cost and ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.  I guess I need to learn how to send a digital picture, but do not know how as of now.

Holden

benzportland

Re: white steering wheel 1966 SL230
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:44:00 »
You have a few options here, the correct wheel for your car, depending on chassis number, is about $550, and the center pad is sold as a separate piece for around $400.   :'(  There are kits to restore these, available through Eastwood I believe, but I am not sure how you use these or what the process is.  I found a very nice used ivory wheel and dash pad for $195.00 on Ebay, in fact it had been restored.  i usually see a couple of them on Ebay at any given time.  One thing to keep in mind with Ebay is that you can sometimes good deals, but make sure you are not paying more than a new piece available from MB or any of the various suppliers.  MB still makes many, many of the parts for our cars, and yet on Ebay you will see a listing for one of those items as "rare," and these items routinely sell for substantially more than just buying a new one from MB.  Remember that "rare" is not the same as "NLA" (no longer available).  I would suggest with any part you are looking for, call the MB Classic Center or any of the vendors listed here to find out if the part is still available new, and the cost. 

holden66

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:36:23 »
Thanks, Benzportland.  To contact MB Classic Center, is this done through the local MB dealer, or do you contact them in Germany?  Also, you refer to "list of vendors"....where is this list of vendors.

holden66
1966 SL230

benzportland

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:17:06 »
On the home page under "content" you will find the list of vendors. The Classic Center in Los Angeles is listed online with all their contact info, just Google Mercedes Classic Center Irvine. 

redpagoda

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:09:00 »
My Steering wheel was all cracked, the horn pad falling apart with the star in the centre cracked. Using body filler I opened up the cracks and refiiled with filler and then had it re sprayed. The horn pad I ordered from KK manufacturers cost around US$90. There was a new steering wheel with hub and horn pad for around $250 on ebay. Postage to Aust was around $80