Author Topic: Order of messages  (Read 11492 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Order of messages
« on: November 10, 2008, 13:50:22 »
If you'd like to change the order in which messages appear (e.g. latest post first) go to Profile (button at the top), Look and Layout preferences (link on the left) and then select "Show most recent posts at the top".

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Order of messages
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:08:19 »
Thanks Peter, I was wondering about how to get this re-set.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

dixy2k

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:46:54 »
I'm very happy with the current look and order. It is just like all other forums out there. Just don't make the change for the entire forum, please.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:11:16 »
It's a personal setting. You choose.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:40 »
Hi Peter,
I like the various "pick and choose" features of the new site and the ability to change the layout should one want to.
One aspect I noticed is the loss of many (all?) of these features, however,  when one clicks on a link to a different topic that now opens in a new window.
In the new window one is not locked in and the order is the default order again. can that be changed also?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

psmith

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:37:31 »
Peter,

I switched to "new messages first" because that is what I have become use to.  However, the original message no longer sticks at the top.  Is there any way to keep it on top like it use to?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:38 »
No, there's no way to get the original message at the top again... the usefulness of that is debatable anyway as so many threads get "diverted" anyway. The moderators have much better tools to split a thread into two topics, or even to merge to topics into one.

But sorry, that feature is gone. Forever.

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:28:55 »
Hi Peter,
I like the various "pick and choose" features of the new site and the ability to change the layout should one want to.
One aspect I noticed is the loss of many (all?) of these features, however,  when one clicks on a link to a different topic that now opens in a new window.
In the new window one is not locked in and the order is the default order again. can that be changed also?

Sorry Alfred

I had to read your post twice to see what you meant... but I've figured it out. When the browser opens a new window, it is essentially a window where your session is no longer active. It is a session of a person who is not logged in... and therefore drops back to the default board behaviour. Weird indeed. I'll add this to my to-do list.

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 12:17:19 »
I think I've solved Alfred's issue but in the mean time found some problems that still need resolving...
  • images from the old board may not be visible or lead to a "page not found" error. This is due to the old system (Windows) ignoring capitalisation in directory names. Unix does not. So I need to write a program to trawl through the entire database to fix this. That will take some time, but do not despair, the original pictures are not lost.
  • secondly I spotted that some of the links to topics on our own board were not converted correctly. I have a script that does this, so I'll need to run that again with slight modifications. Again, that will take some time but will be done.

Just when you thought you had tested it all so well...

Peter

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:07:40 »
I think I've solved Alfred's issue ....
Indeed you did - marvelous - thanks Peter!!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 16:47:28 »
I think I've solved Alfred's issue but in the mean time found some problems that still need resolving...
  • images from the old board may not be visible or lead to a "page not found" error. This is due to the old system (Windows) ignoring capitalisation in directory names. Unix does not. So I need to write a program to trawl through the entire database to fix this. That will take some time, but do not despair, the original pictures are not lost.
  • secondly I spotted that some of the links to topics on our own board were not converted correctly. I have a script that does this, so I'll need to run that again with slight modifications. Again, that will take some time but will be done.

Item #1 is largely fixed. There may be a few instances of broken links left, but they exist because the target file is really not there.

Item #2 is also fixed... I did modify my script that fixed #1 to fix it at the same time.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 21:52:49 by vanesp »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 19:45:42 »
I had a little trouble with the new "first to last" order but am adjusting. I read the original for a refresher then grab the highest page number box up in the corner and rapidly drop to the bottom...then look at the date. Since I check the site every three minutes of my life, I catch up fairly quickly!
James
63 230SL

psmith

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 22:23:31 »
Another nice feature I found in the profile settings is "Time Offset"  so the posting time of all messages is in my local time.