Author Topic: Website Migration  (Read 21297 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Website Migration
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:41 »
Dear all,

you'll probably not believe me, but I'm close to actually finishing the development of the new site. I expect to be done by the end of this week.

We will have a single, fully integrated system with a single log in for the forum and for members (the system keeps track of full memberships). Access to the Wiki, the forum is all through that log in. Editors who need to modify the front pages (e.g. the common content, featured car etc) will have a web based interface to modify content there also.

The membership fee system will be completely automated: users are reminded of membership expiry and expired automatically. People who join or renew through PayPal will be activated automatically. The membership administrator gets e-mails when this happens, telling him to send out a welcome package. Moderators / administrators can still modify all aspects of membership manually if needed. And payment by snail mail is still possible, albeit discouraged.

Migration

Migration basically shall go as follows.

A new internet provider will be selected to host our new software. The domain name www.sl113.com will be pointed there immediately. I transfer all new software and so on there.

After that is completed, at some point in the near future I shall shut down the site www.sl113.org for about a day. All data is transferred to www.sl113.com (and a backup copy to my server). All database content is transferred to my own server, and moved to a new database platform. There a lot of conversion software is run and the new database is built.

Then the new database is transferred to www.sl113.com (at which point that site will become operational).

Finally www.sl113.org is changed to point at the same site as www.sl113.com, and essentially the new site is available to all. It may take a little while (mostly a day, but sometimes even 10 days, depending on your internet provider) for these so-called Domain Name Server changes to trickle through to your neck of the Internet woods. Clearing your cache or Refreshing your browser may help.

When logging in for the first time, the log-in will fail (that's because passwords are stored in encrypted format in the database, and therefore could not be converted accurately). You can request a new password to be sent to your stored e-mail address (which is why it is so important that e-mail addresses are accurate on this site to begin with), reset the password and then continue to use the new site. Then you can modify your personal settings (board layout, personal preferences, signature etc).

This is likely to happen within the next week or two.

Please follow these instructions if you have not done so yet:

• All members: Update your forum profile. Ensure your e-mail address is up to date, and that your first name, last name and location are correctly filled in. This will help tremendously if we have problems after the move, in helping you log in again.  
  • Full members: Update your full membership profile. Specifically, please ensure that your e-mail address is exactly the same as the e-mail address in the Forum profile. Please check and double check this. We need this to be the case as we will be attempting to provide a single-log in facility, so that we do not have the confusing multiple identities any more. That is why we need to be able to match your full membership and forum membership accounts. Additionally, can you please ensure that your postal address is still correct.
  • Full members and inactive full members: Check your membership expiration, and please renew if you are due to expire in the next two-three months. Due to the move our reminder service may not be operational.  
  • Please read this index.php?topic=7050]topic[/url] for help.  
If you have any questions, suggestions, concerns or issues, please post them on the Forum. Your cooperation in this is much appreciated, and we hope to be able to keep the forum running as smoothly as possible.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Website Migration
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:53:38 »
about b****y time :D

Thanks Peter, I am sure it'll be fantastic and your efforts are much appreciated. And to think, the new site will still (for a while at least) have links back to the old Yahoo content. So the new site will be the 280SL?
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 17:42:14 »
Dear all,

today I have disabled updating and editing for the Wiki until the transfer to the new system is completed. I have ordered new hosting space today. If everything goes well, I expect to shut down our forum on monday 10th of november at 09:00 CET. I cannot predict exactly when it will re-open but it will also take some time before domain name changes propagate through the Internet.

But do keep checking our presence...

When the new site becomes operational, this is how you get access:

• Go to the Login page and request the "Forgot your password?" link  
  • Enter your old forum username or e-mail address. This will send you a mail which will allow you to log in again. If you do not receive it within a couple of minutes, check your SPAM box  
  • Login and go to the Profile to change your password to one of your liking

Note that you only need to go through this procedure once. You log in with your username (or e-mail address) and your password.

Oh, and do take your time to check through the new site, it's facilities, the help and so on. We'll open a new "how to use this website" forum to allow people to share experiences and comments on the use of the system.

If something goes wrong, you can always mail admin@sl113.org

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:56:44 »
Dear all,

I'm all set to go for tomorrow.... this is the last day of the old forum...

Say Goodbye Today!

Peter

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:40:30 »
See you when you're all grown up ! ('[:p]')
Tomorrow.(' :D ')

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD 69
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:42:51 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 19:07:14 »
Some of you may remember that I had the honor and pleasure of designing the original website that we have enjoyed for the past few years. It is with a little sadness that I say goodbye to the old and embrace the new.

Thank you Peter for dragging into the modern internet age.

It is a coincidence that this change is happening while I am in Patgonia near the end of South America and the end of the Western Hemisphere, far from civilization (but they do have an internet connection here).

I will return to the center of the universe (New York City) next week.

Regards,
Richard M, Puerto Natale, Chile
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 19:57:57 »
Goodbye crappy windoze database error message!  :D
quote:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

/forums/search.asp, line 376
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 04:24:51 »
Peter, the new site looks great, really fantastic.
Bob
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

psmith

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 06:05:20 »
Peter,

The new site looks great!  I'm still getting used to it, but change is good!  Do you have a favorite pub/gasthaus that takes Paypal so I can buy you a beer?  ;D

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 18:53:01 »
Hi, Peter -

I'm really enjoying the new site and also playing with all the various set-up preferences.  A couple of comments:

It seems that some pictures attached to posts made on the old site got lost in the migration.  For instance:

I had attached a picture to a post made a week or two ago (Star033.jpg) in "How often do you spot a Pagoda" that is now unavailable.  There were three shots posted by Kevin in his post "230SL Interior on an Autumn Day" but only the first one made the transition.  It looks like all of Rob's "Blue Pagoda by the Sea" photos have evaporated except for the two he just posted today.  Good news though:  It looks like all the photos in the older posts in the Photo Gallery that were "locked" made the transition.

I have tried a couple of ways to get the Forums to only post topics that have had new replies posted since the last time I visited the site but haven't figured out the right settings yet.  The old site had a neat drop down box right at the top on the left with a number of options for this that came in very useful. especially if I wanted to go back a few hours, day of two or even a week or more.  Any chance of making something like that available on this site?

How about a spell checker?  Then I wouldn't have to go back and edit most of my postings minutes later to correct typos.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 18:57:11 »
I have tried a couple of ways to get the Forums to only post topics that have had new replies posted since the last time I visited the site but haven't figured out the right settings yet.  The old site had a neat drop down box right at the top on the left with a number of options for this that came in very useful. especially if I wanted to go back a few hours, day of two or even a week or more.  Any chance of making something like that available on this site?

Mike, go all the way to the top (in the default format) and look in the upper right.  You'll see "show unread posts since last visit"

For spell checker, visit the site in Mozilla Firefox www.firefox.com
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 18:58:46 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 22:13:48 »

It seems that some pictures attached to posts made on the old site got lost in the migration.  For instance:

I had attached a picture to a post made a week or two ago (Star033.jpg) in "How often do you spot a Pagoda" that is now unavailable.  There were three shots posted by Kevin in his post "230SL Interior on an Autumn Day" but only the first one made the transition.  It looks like all of Rob's "Blue Pagoda by the Sea" photos have evaporated except for the two he just posted today.  Good news though:  It looks like all the photos in the older posts in the Photo Gallery that were "locked" made the transition.

How about a spell checker?  Then I wouldn't have to go back and edit most of my postings minutes later to correct typos.

Yes Mike, I've spotted the pictures thing... don't go edit posts... the answer is here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=9812.msg64800#msg64800. So it will be fixed but may take a couple of days.

On the spell checker... I'll llook into a browser indepent version, but indeed Firefox or Google Chrome do this for you!

Peter

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 23:38:58 »
Hi, John -

Yes, I have done that, but it only seems to work about 10% of the time.  The rest of the time it shows no new posts, even when I could plainly see that there were new posts made to several forums since the day before.  Then when I click on the button that I find there it tells me that I have no new messages, either!

Anyway, I know that Peter is doing a valiant job getting this new site up and working out all the teething issues that we bring to his attention.  I found Peter's post about the pictures just after I posted my comments, but you had already replied so I didn't want to go back and delete anything.

Peter -  Are we letting you get any sleep?  ;^)
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 23:49:52 »
Hi, John -

Yes, I have done that, but it only seems to work about 10% of the time.  The rest of the time it shows no new posts, even when I could plainly see that there were new posts made to several forums since the day before.  Then when I click on the button that I find there it tells me that I have no new messages, either!

That's easy Mike...

the system only knows when you last logged in and uses that time/date. So you'll need to log out, and back in again. Normally, when you read all posts and then go away... and come back the next day this works. Also, today I have been changing Cookie settings to address the problem Alfred referred to in another thread... so that may have not helped... since your cookie cache should be cleared before that works properly. Most people will not notice that however.

Then, on whether I'm getting any sleep... yes, I consider these minor problems and I have the solution in my head... I'll implement it when I have time (that won't take weeks, but it won't be done tomorrow either). Remember, it's a car hobby. I picked up my car yesterday from it's annual check by the van Dijk brothers, couple of changes (including a rebuilt fuel injection pump from Cees Klumper) and need to drive it if the weather is nice. And that takes priority over any website, as we all know!

Peter

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 01:55:29 »
Ok. That's not working.  For instance. I looked at the site about 6 PM at work, read the posts in all the Forums that I could find that were new since I had looked at about 1 PM.  Now this evening I am on my home computer, and when I hit the "show unread posts since your last visit" link nothing new shows up.  If I click on the link in the now new posts message that pops up than I am told that there are no new messages.  Afterwards I start trolling through the forums and find several new postings in several different forums, including this one to which I am replying.  Is there a particular set of priorities that I should be choosing in "Profile" to help enable this function?  One last observation:  On the old list I was able to save a link in my "Favorites" that took me directly to just the new posts since my llast visit.  Is there a way to do this on the new site?

I'm, glad that you have your priorities in order.  A drive in a Pagoda beats sitting in front of a computer screen looking at one any day of the week!  Thanks, Peter!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

psmith

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 05:35:36 »
Mike,

When you logged in did you leave the "always logged in" box checked?  I think Peter is saying that you have to actively log out (or set a time limit when you log in) for the system to know you went away and came back.   

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:01:04 »
That's correct, Pete.

Mike, I changed something in the cookies handling, to solve the problem that Alfred found. That means that just this once, logging out is pretty difficult: you need to remove the cookie set by www.sl113.org (or www.sl113.com if that's the one you visit). Then you log out, and then you log in again.

How you remove the cookie depends on your browser, check your help files. With Internet Explorer you go to Tools / Internet Options / tab General / Delete Browsing history... and then Delete cookies.

Then try again.

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 22:46:13 »
Oh yes, and one more thing. If you want to see the most recent posts on the board... regardless of your login times, go to the Forum tab, scroll right down to the bottom. You'll see a section called Forum Stats. In there is a text link View the most recent posts on the forum. With that link you can see all recent posts, regardless of when YOU were last present!

Peter

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 13:47:11 »
Being the first to admit that I am a little "computer challenged," it took me longer than it should to switch over to the new site.  Once I found the post that advised that previous passwords (even if correctly entered) would not be recogonized, and the second post that advised that I must specifically allow a certain address into the Earthlink system in order to receive a reply, all went swimmingly.  Thanks for putting the new site together and for forcing me to learn some new things about my computer.