Author Topic: Boot fitment  (Read 3898 times)

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Boot fitment
« on: October 16, 2008, 14:16:13 »
Can someone please help me to identify what has been fitted in the boot/trunk of the 280sl that i am restoring.
When i bought the car inside the boot located about 18inches from the left side and 12inches from the rear was a plate rivited to the floor,when i removed the plate i found 3 holes,2 had been crudely punched the other had been neatly cut, all 3 are approx: 2inches dia:.Underneath the car a plastic covered 5/16inch pipe ran from the holes. Clamped to the floor into the engine bay.The pipe follows the existing fuel/brake lines,both ends had been crudely cut off.
     Eric.
Eric

George Des

Re: Boot fitment
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 15:29:22 »
Eric,

Just a guess. When I was stationed in Italy during the mid-70's, I recall one of my fellow Army officers owned a beige 280SL that had been converted to run on compressed gas--either propane or some form of methane. He had a compressed gas tank in the trunk--you may have one that had that conversion and then was converted back. As I understand it, the conversion either way was not that involved. Hope this helps possibly shed some light.

George Des

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 13:27:06 »
Yup probably propane.  Mine came from Italy in the 70's too and had the propane mod.  I've removed all of it sense then.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 13:29:22 by Dash808 »
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 05:18:02 »
Thank you George and Dash808 for your input you seem to have solved the puzzle.George,the colour code indicates that the hard top left the factory the same colour as the body,when i remove the existing colour i will be able to see if any black paint was applied after the factory layer.Dash808,When you removed the gas system was there an alluminium casting fitted between the air intake manifold and air filter?The casting has a one inch boss atached to it.Looking forward to your answer as this alluminium casting will confirm all. Rgards Eric
Eric