Author Topic: Etiquette and quoting  (Read 17249 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Etiquette and quoting
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:11:01 »
Dear all,

I've noticed that many people have found the "Reply with Quote" function on the site. However, there are some good manners to be observed when replying with quote:

• never quote when you are the first or second reply to the message, as your message will end up just next to the original message.
  • never leave photographs in quoted messages. It will just mean that people have to scroll through more and more screen real-estate.
  • If you edit a quote, make sure that you leave the opening and closing quote tag intact. Review your message, and edit it if it is incorrect. This is really important as this will create havoc with my conversion software to move to the new board.
  • If in doubt, don't quote. If it does not add much, it just uses up scarce database storage.

Additionally, please observe the following guidelines:

Photographs

We prefer photographs to be uploaded here... we hate it when photos linked here disappear from the site where they are stored because of inactivity or account deletion or because the hoster or phtoservice has gone out of business, or modified it's storage scheme.

Secondly, when you do upload photographs, keep the maximum dimensions to 800x600 pixels at all times. Not everyone has a screen as wide as yours and horizontal scrolling to read messages is a pain in the ****.

Thanks for your cooperation

Peter
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:33:44 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

psmith

Re: Etiquette and quoting
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:06:00 »
Hear Hear on quoting etiquette.  I wonder if people "reply with quote" because the button is right there on the toolbar in the message and the "reply to topic" button is in the upper right of the screen.  Maybe if they were switched...

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:27:19 »
The thread below on quoting stilly applies...
  • we prefer you to use the Reply button at the top, especially if you are replying directly to the most recent post
  • if you do use the Quote button, eliminate all text apart from that pertinent detail that you absolutely must quote
Thanks for your cooperation!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 16:00:09 »
Please re-acquaint yourself with the quoting etiquette in the first message (either at the top or the bottom of this thread).

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:45:13 »
PLEASE DO NOT USE ALL CAPITALS IN A MESSAGE. In the Internet world this is considered to be shouting and thus rude. For more Netiquette (Net - Etiquette) check this article: http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ia_nq.htm

Peter