Author Topic: Reminders of membership and PayPal  (Read 8284 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Reminders of membership and PayPal
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:47:24 »
Dear all,

I have just sent reminder notices to quite a few of you, as many memberships expire at the end of October. Additionally, many already expired or soon to expire members also received a reminder notice for the third time.

It again has come to my attention that quite a few people pay by check and that our check processing is haphazard and not efficient, mainly because it's a manual process involving the postal system, and we do not have an efficient way of dealing with checks, as a virtual organisation. If you pay through PayPal, we typically activate or renew your membership within 24 hours, and it is far less likely to slip through the cracks.

So please, can I encourage you all to use PayPal for your renewal payment?

In fact, currently I am developing the new version of the website and I'm currently spending time to write software that allows us to process PayPal payments automatically. That way, no further human intervention is required, and someone who pays through PayPal will see their access to the full member details activated almost instantaneously.

In the Pagoda SL Group we've been using our PayPal account quite happily for the last few years, paying the expenses of the club through PayPal and receiving payments from a majority of members. As we are not an incorporated organisation, we cannot open merchant accounts or even regular bank accounts, so PayPal is pretty much the only option open to us.

Yet there appear to be quite a few members who prefer to pay by check, even if the risk on lost checks is much higher, than by PayPal. What I'd like to know is why? On the new version of the system we will still offer a mechanism for payment without PayPal, but it is clearly going to be much less attractive to us as a group to handle these payments.

Peter

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

hill

Re: Reminders of membership and PayPal
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:57:06 »
"Yet there appear to be quite a few members who prefer to pay by check, even if the risk on lost checks is much higher, than by PayPal. What I'd like to know is why?"

Because I do not won't to sign up with paypal again. I wasn't happy and some of  the vendors I frequented stopped using it.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:02:23 »
But why were you not happy?

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

hill

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:30 »
Poor customer service.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 18:57:43 »
I used Paypal to renew last time and it worked just fine.  I'll do it again whenever mine comes up.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

hauser

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 23:44:22 »
I also used Pay pal but did not get my usual thank you email for renewing my membership.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:55:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

I also used Pay pal but did not get my usual thank you email for renewing my membership.

Hello Hauser - I am the person who processes the Paypal payments and just returned from a day away - to find more than 20 payments in my inbox! But by tomorrow I will have them all replied to ...

Thanks all for renewing, your membership funds make this site possible!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

hauser

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 20:51:01 »
Cees, I only mentioned this because after reading some of the posts I wasn't so sure my payment went through.  Thanks.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 01:10:48 »
Hello Hauser - last night I processed all of the payments I received and yours was not among them, but lately some notifications have been held up in the spam filter, so let me double check - can apply to others as well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:11:09 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

hauser

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 02:14:56 »
Cees, just checked my paypal account and the transaction date was 7/29/08.