Author Topic: Hot Air Duct Removal  (Read 3537 times)

KUMARB

Hot Air Duct Removal
« on: October 04, 2008, 19:55:51 »
How does one remove left side hot air duct (defroster nozzle)?

The duct seems to be made out of cardboard, and is brittle due to age. Lower part of the duct has broken corners and fastening ears. I have removed almost everything from under the dash; yet, duct could not be pulled out. Do I need to remove steering column which I do not want to?

Thanks,

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:39:43 by 280SL71 »

DavidBrough

Re: Hot Air Duct Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:06:33 »
Hi Kumar,

I removed both of my defrost ducts some time ago but can’t remember the exact details I’m afraid other than the fact that the job was a real pain. However, I can recall that I did remove the steering wheel but left the column in place and eventually decided that I didn’t need to remove the steering wheel after all. I also remember removing just about everything from behind the dash, again not all of which was necessary, and still having to manipulate the thing out. Best of luck, just keep trying as it will come out and perhaps someone who’s done the job more recently may chip in.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C & 3.46 Axle

Anfinn

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:11 »
I too struggled with this not long ago.
I did not remove the steering column, but "everything else" was removed from behind the panel.
As you have probably discovered, the air duct is formed around the windscreen wiper shaft. This is impossible to remove before the airduct is removed.
I struggled a long time, and eventually it came out in the direction of the right hand side of the car.Some damage was caused to the air nozzle. I tried to repair this before refitting the air duct, but it was more or less ripped up again.
The consolation is you don't see this when the wood is installed.
Good luck!
Added: For future reference, - it would not help to remove the steering column. It is the bracket for the brake pedal that prevents the (easy) removal of the duct.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:38:29 by Anfinn »

KUMARB

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 17:13:10 »
Dear Anfinn and David:

Thank you kindly for taking time to respond to my posting and sharing your experiences.

I was able to pull out the right side nozzle relatively easily. It is the left side that is giving me the pain.

Today, I called the local Mercedes dealer to get a quote on these nozzles. The good news is that they are still available, the bad news is their price. They cost $170 per side. Why should they cost that much? After all, they are a couple of cardboard boxes!  I will try to repair them before I pay that much!

Thanks,