Author Topic: Beautiful day by the Bay  (Read 6269 times)

deacon

Beautiful day by the Bay
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:06:57 »
Last Sunday my son and I drove to Treasure Island in the San Francisco bay.  The Starfest Concours was on the great Lawn.  I'll post some pics of the beautiful cars that were there, but this one is my favorite (of course!)

Download Attachment: IMG_0360.JPG
159.4 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0363.JPG
174.8 KB

paulr

Re: Beautiful day by the Bay
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:40:10 »
hmmm, nice car, however.......it would appear that you have contravened section 4a of the 1974 highways act by parking on the sidewalk. Whatever next, the worlds gone mad !

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 15:16:16 »
Maybe OK...appears to have stopped on a shoulder of the road which can be used in an emergency...and, as we all know, getting the perfect Pagoda picture can be a real emergency.

Richard M, NYC :o)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 18:16:46 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

paulr

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 16:45:48 »
Thank goodness, now I can relax.

deacon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 17:02:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

Maybe OK...appears to have stopped on a shoulder of the road which can be used in an emrgency...and, as we all know, getting the perfect Pagoda picture can be a real emergency.

Richard M, NYC :o)

The car posed no hazzard to motorists...... I however, had to position myself in such a way as to interfere with the smooth flow of traffic and was surprised at the vitriol that is hurled at one when one impedes ones fellow man from expeditiously attaining his destination.  Truely shocking!

psmith

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:37:05 »
Hi David,

Sorry I missed you.  I got a late start and then got stuck in a horrible traffic jam getting on the bridge.  I almost overheated!  I look forward to your pictures of the Concours.  I'll post mine from the track events at Thunderhill.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 13:43:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by davidg
The car posed no hazzard to motorists...... I however, had to position myself in such a way as to interfere with the smooth flow of traffic and was surprised at the vitriol that is hurled at one when one impedes ones fellow man from expeditiously attaining his destination.  Truely shocking!

I took one for the book that involved me parking the car in the middle of the road in the middle of a bridge over the Thames in central London (Lambeth Bridge). Got a great photo, but the vitriol from the other 2 motorists who were out and about before 8am on a Sunday.... :x  :x
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

dhunter

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:59:47 »
Just before viewing this I was just reading a story about a fellow riding an Indian Scout in 1924 from Baltimore to California...an ordeal to say the least.

Looks like he found Frisco and the "Golden Gate strait"...no bridge traffic though!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354341&highlight=1923+Indian+Scout

quote:
Originally posted by davidg

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:18:25 »
That's a neat shot of the Golden Gate pre-bridge!  I am reminded of a trip that the mother of a friend undertook in the fall of 1941.  She grew up in Porterfield, CA and began her trip as a passenger on a cargo ship to Valparaiso, Chile out of San Francisco.  The attack on Pearl Harbor took place while she was at sea.

http://www.oklahomabicyclesociety.com:80/RoadToMontevideo/montevideo1.htm
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)