Author Topic: Firewall Pad  (Read 2944 times)

Largeowner

Firewall Pad
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:15:01 »
My firewall pad is too far gone to save.  I have ordered a replacement, but I wanted to ask if the members have any tips or pointers on installation.  I am specifically interested in what type of heat-resistant cement I should use.

Thanks,
Large

graphic66

Re: Firewall Pad
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 14:43:35 »
I used the Gel Weldwood contact cement. It has held up well. It is not a small job if you wish to not cut slits in the pad to go over things. You need to unhook lots of stuff to get it on. Lots of time cleaning. It has to be spotless for the glue to work best.

I cleaned the old one off using solvents like brake fluid, engine degreaser, a little heat from a blow dryer, and lots of scraping. I sanded it lightly and washed the area with hot water and a degreasing detergent. I then wiped it down with lacquer thinner.

I traced the pad outline with a pencil and painted the contact cement on the area very carefully and painted it on the back of the pad, very thick as the hair soaks it up. Wait 10-15 minutes and carefully place the pad exactly where you want it.

Above all fit the pad several times before glueing anything, and make sure the two pieces match up nicely. Just a little crooked and they won't look right. If I did it again I would seriously consider peeling the thick hair pad off the rubber pad and go without the insulation. I think it looks better thin. Of course the heat and sound insulation will not be as good.

Again, trial fit it many times and then go through a practice run before gluing. It may be a good idea to remove the valve cover also. I didn't, but remember it was close.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 18:14:14 by 280SL71 »