Author Topic: Hardtop Hoist Recommendations  (Read 4310 times)

bckiernan

Hardtop Hoist Recommendations
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:40:52 »
I am a new owner (Red 1969 w/4-speed) & member of the group.

I want to buy a hoist - a stand and cover came with the car - and have seen a lot of them on the web. The price points are all over the board. Recommendations on who supplies the best value to operation?

Thanks and look forward to being a part of the club...

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Re: Hardtop Hoist Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:42:55 »
Hi Brian,

Welcome!

If you search the forums you will likely find a number of recommendations on hoists and carts etc...Some members prefer to make their own from parts at the hardware store/Home Depot etc which in many cases work just fine and can save you money. In my case I would generally fabricate something as well but I have a number of home improvement and Pagoda projects that have been ongoing for the last several months and simply did not have time to start yet another project for hoists and a storage solution so I decided to buy something for these needs.

In my case I purchased a winch hoist specific to our 113 car from Adsit - www.adsitco.com which was very satisfactory and of good quality when I installed it, I think it was $165.00 when I purchased it a few months ago. I have purchased a number of things from Adsit and have always had a good experience with them, they have been around for a long time and are a good vendor. Miller's and other vendors you will see mentioned in the forums are good suppliers also.

I purchased a cart from FCP Groton via ebay which I think was $120.00 at the time, They have been a good vendor to deal with also from my experience.

If you have the time and can do it correctly you probably want to do it yourself and save a little money. If you don't have the time or are unsure of your fabrication ability and skill using tools I would recommend just buying the items. It's not worth accidentially dropping the top on the floor or the car and damaging both($$$) if you try to fabricate something on your own and do it wrong.

Good Luck,
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:51:40 by Mark280SL »
Mark

bckiernan

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 14:52:22 »
Thanks for the recommendation - time is the real issue. I recieved the Adsit catalog last week and was curious about their reputation. Looks like you have answered both questions...

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 15:26:41 »
If you buy from Adsit order online if possible, they give a 10% reduction on internet orders as opposed to calling from what you see in the printed catalog.
Mark