Author Topic: Enthusiast Minutiae- Horn Circle  (Read 4390 times)

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
Enthusiast Minutiae- Horn Circle
« on: September 21, 2008, 22:29:20 »
It always amazes me that there is never an end to the new facts we can learn about the object of our passion, the W113.  Last weekend I exhibited my 1970 280SL at the Beverly Hills Classics for Charity #15 event held at Mercedes Benz of Beverly Hills.

There were three 113's on exhibit including my car, a 1971 and Tom Colitt's great restoration of a 1969.  Next to my car was a 1971 350SL.

Maurice, the enthusiast/owner of the 350SL also owns 2 113's and a number of other Mercedes Benz from the 1970's.  Obviously very knowledgable, he & I spent quite a bit of time discussing our cars.  Maurice pointed to the Mercedes Benz star logo on the steering wheel hub of my car and stated that the logo was incorrect for a 113 due to the single silver circle surrounding the MB star.

I know that the white wheel of my car is not original.  I checked the other 2 113's to find their hubs matched mine---single silver circle.  For those fascinated by such trivia, can anyone shed some light on this matter?  Was there a change at some time during the model run?  Is it one of those European/American differences?  Would a concourse judge know....or care?  Does anyone care?  I will be unable to sleep until the truth be known.

Jackson Schwartz
1970 280SL

Download Attachment: Single circle.JPG
253.4 KB

Download Attachment: Double circle.JPG
258.36 KB
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:17:54 by 280SL71 »

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Enthusiast Minutiae- Horn Circle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 22:42:05 »
I think the 230sl centre hubs originally had that double circle version, but the new centre hubs available now have the single circle version. The situation may be same with 280sl. If so, yours and the other 2 at the event must have been replaced.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 23:03:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by jaxxonia
...  I will be unable to sleep until the truth be known. ...

Hello Jackson,
relax - your 280SL should have only 1 circle around the center star.  :)
Here is a lot more on that topic for your enjoyment:
http://index.php?topic=6502
Good night and sleep well! :o
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 14:35:46 »
Alfred,

Thanks to you I slept like a baby!  But I'm afraid my friend Maurice may have some restless nights when I forward him "The Truth".  Better him than me.  Thanks, Alfred.

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:10:48 »
I agree with DaveB. The original horn pads on all 113s had two rings. The single ring horn pads are recent replacements. They should be however, correct, since they are OEM.
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE

Longtooth

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 23:47:00 »
fyi, there's this thing in judging MB's (show & street class) about "authenticity"... for year and model.  Authenticity for any item is generally 50% of points (in MBCA sponsored shows). the other 50% are split evenly (25% each) between "condition" and "cleanliness" ... rust, scrapes, abraisions at joints between joined chrome pieces,and chrome swirl marks, ridges, waviness, chrome "patina" (hazyness), overspray ..., etc. are "condition"... dirt, bugs, dust, water-marks, etc. are "cleanliness."  

In MBCA judging, however, the team of judges (maybe 2-3 for each of 4 area's of judging a car
  -- Exterior Chrome, Trim, Seals, Lights/Signals;
  -- Interior;
  -- Exterior Body & Paint, Softtop; &
  -- Engine ---
  -- and added area for Show Class, Chassis / Undercarriage)

only have n minutes to spend on each car in a show, so both level of experience, expertise in a given model & year and time to look for every detail come into play. Sometimes some things will be missed that would otherwise give cause for deduction in points.  This (horn hub 1-ring, 2 rings thing) is one of them, to be sure, probably mostly for 1 reason --- expertise of judges in knowledge of a specific model vintage details.  For the 230SL's, there's unlikely to be judges that will distinguish between early and late 230SL features, or deduct points for differences between early and late 230SL interchanges... in my opinion.

I've taken a day long MBCA judging school class and have only recent and limited show & street class actual judging experience, but this is my best take given what I've learned and experienced to date.

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 11:37:25 »
Longtooth, thank you for your response.  It validates my suspicion regarding the "details" relative to the "importance" as dictated by the "knowledge" of the judges.  My car is a nice driver, not a concourse candidate.  I quickly learned that when I entered the Palm Springs concourse about 6 years ago.  I found myself competing in the same class as Weston Hook's Pinanfarina custom body 113 designed by Tom Tjaarda and a trailer queen with zero miles fresh from the restoration shop. Naturally, the one-off took the class. To me, the joy of the driving miles I put on every weekend are worth more than a concourse trophy on the mantel.  Thanks again.

Jackson